Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

When to apply Vit C Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
CBayne245
5% products discount

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Do you apply your C Serum at night or in the morning? And why? If in the morning, how long do you wait before applying moisturizer or makeup? I'm currently doing C Serum at night and AHA in the morning but am wondering if I am doing it backwards? Thanks for you insight.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I started recently applying my C serum at night. I have heard differing opinions on what time of day is best. I use at night because it makes my face a little red and dry.

You should wait a good 20 minutes before applying anything else.

erg

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I would switch the two. Apply your vitamin C serum in the morning (as it has photoprotection capabilities) and apply your AHAs at night (since they can cause sun sensitivity).
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Depends on what type of C is in the serum. LAA is better to apply at night, other types can be used during the day.
CBayne245
5% products discount

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I am using an LAA based C Serum, so I guess I'm doing it right. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:57 am      Reply with quote
what about using vit. c serum and retin-A?
Should i do the vit. c serum in the morning and retin-a at night? Does anybody combine the two?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:06 am      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
I would switch the two. Apply your vitamin C serum in the morning (as it has photoprotection capabilities) and apply your AHAs at night (since they can cause sun sensitivity).

There has been dispute as to whether LAA is actually photo-protective or pro-oxidative. It is confusing.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've changed my regime with pretty good results regarding C serum application.

I was using it 3 or 4 times per week in the A.M. Now I use it 3 or 4 times per week at night, and have switched to using a more potent antioxidant serum during the day. (I noticed improvement with my green tea spritz, so now I use a kicked up a notch DIY "Cell Stimulating Serum".)

Personally, I feel that the more antioxidants I can incorporate during the day to quelch the free radicals, the better my skin looks and feels. So my choice is to save the C for night time, in the hopes that it catches what my other goodies have missed... Laughing

So far, so good!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 am      Reply with quote
IMO, night time.

I don't know about other vitamin C serums but mine looks orangey in the bottle. I don't think it looks orange on however I don't have much time in the morning to experiment.

Vitamin C can increase your photosensitivity so doing it at night time helps your skin. Since vitamin C is healing, it makes sense that it would be best used at night when the rest of our bodies are resting and rejuvinating

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I have been apply C before Retin A for months now. I think A and C work well together and I am more interested in collagen production than sun protection. I think the "best" time to use C depends on what you are using it for.
Leggy 61
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Riley,how long do you wait between the C and retin a ? Also are you still using the skin ceuticals C&E ? I use the A with the blender about 5 nights a week,any thoughts.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Leggy 61 wrote:
Riley,how long do you wait between the C and retin a ? Also are you still using the skin ceuticals C&E ? I use the A with the blender about 5 nights a week,any thoughts.

Hi, Leggy! I just wait about 3-5 minutes after the SC CEF and then I apply the RA. I think you would be using using the C before the RA/Blender combo, IMO!
Leggy 61
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Riley,I have never used the C at night and then the A,but am willing to give it a try,will let you know how it works for me.Thanks
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:57 am      Reply with quote
So, is the consensus that Vit C is best used at night, and use other antioxidant serums at AM?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:58 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
So, is the consensus that Vit C is best used at night, and use other antioxidant serums at AM?

You can put it on in the AM as well, but it acts more of a sunscreen than it does as a collagen booster. If you are using an expensive vit c serum, then I'd suggest only using at night, but if it's cheap/DIY, then use it in the AM as well for that added protection
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
^Yes, I think that's right. I just got in the habit of applying vit c in the morning, but I think I'll switch to nighttime. I'm not sure whether I want to apply it on the same nights as my tretinoin though, so I may alternate. Not sure yet though.

Actually I haven't been applying my vit c much at all lately. My skin all of a sudden started looking better, so I've kind of been forgetting. All I've been doing is spritzing green tea every morning and I recently switched from tretinoin .025 to .04. I almost don't want to risk messing with my regimen for a while!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 am      Reply with quote
For me, I prefer apply C at night.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 am      Reply with quote
CBayne245 wrote:
Do you apply your C Serum at night or in the morning? And why? If in the morning, how long do you wait before applying moisturizer or makeup? I'm currently doing C Serum at night and AHA in the morning but am wondering if I am doing it backwards? Thanks for you insight.
Vitamin C should always be applied in the morning. It is an antioxidant, and will help to protect your skin's cells from oxidization. *You can use any other antioxidant as well though. Basically, the clusters of cells in your skin will start to break down (say from the sun exposure). So, instead of having a nice cluster of 20. Well 2 are damaged and fall off. Now your cell cluster will continue the regeneration process by copying itself (damaged). This is what leads to pigmentation/bumps/cancer/etc... IF you apply an antioxidant, then instead of regenerating a damaged cluster - the antioxidant actually fills in the missing part of the cluster so it can continue regenerating a NORMAL cell. It is amazing. Always use an antioxidant every day. I love to use our High Octane Vitamin C Serum each morning. **Vitamin C is also amazing for pigmentation and freckling. Thank you.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I would do it at night!!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Vit C serum at night- but only because the one I buy (neostrata 10% in the gold capsules), it does not go on nicely with makeup and looks bad with anything on top.

Also sometimes I use AHA at night.

For daytime I just like plain creams with just sunscreen in them. my skin does not react well to using very strong treatments day and night.
kaloee
5% products discount

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I use my Vit C serum at night and use another antioxidant serum in the morning. According to the NY Dermatologist Dr. Neal Schultz, antioxidants breakdown/oxidizes in sunlight, he suggests to use antioxidants at night so that it can be absorbed into the skin and fight free radicals. He also said you can use antioxidants in daytime, but it won’t be absorbed into the skin coz it’d be broken down by sunlight, instead if used under sunscreen it’ll help enhance UV protection.
Platinumskincare
5% products discount

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 am      Reply with quote
kaloee wrote:
I use my Vit C serum at night and use another antioxidant serum in the morning. According to the NY Dermatologist Dr. Neal Schultz, antioxidants breakdown/oxidizes in sunlight, he suggests to use antioxidants at night so that it can be absorbed into the skin and fight free radicals. He also said you can use antioxidants in daytime, but it won’t be absorbed into the skin coz it’d be broken down by sunlight, instead if used under sunscreen it’ll help enhance UV protection.
Very interesting. Opposite of what I have always been taught, but definitely seems viable. Hmmmmm.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C serum should be applied during the day and AHA at night, also be sure that your vitamin c serum comes in a air tight container best one is made by ASAP once the c serum is exposed to air it loses it purpose and wont do anything for your skin. Very Happy
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Leggy 61 wrote:

Hi, Leggy! I just wait about 3-5 minutes after the SC CEF and then I apply the RA. I think you would be using using the C before the RA/Blender combo, IMO!

Hi rileygirl - do you follow this up with a moisturizer? If so, which one? Thanks.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Platinumskincare wrote:
kaloee wrote:
Very interesting. Opposite of what I have always been taught, but definitely seems viable. Hmmmmm.

Does this mean that Vit C can be used both night and morning (if under sun screen)? And if so, what's the correct, safe and effective way to layer Vit C with AHA?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |