Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) StriVectin Repair & Protect Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Babor Skinovage PX Vita Balance Oxygen Energizing Cream (50 ml / 1.75 oz)
Dark coarse hair on legs, large pores, marks from scratches?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Sad

It's summer and I really wanna bare my legs out often but whenever I see my ugly looking legs, I just wanna hide in jeans and pants instead Embarassed

It's really hard for me to get a close shave. I can still see black stubs in my large pores right after I shaved! Then small red bumps might appear on certain places.

I heard that it might help to use an AHA/BHA body lotion to help with that after shaving, anyone has any good brands that're effective and cheap too?

Also, what's the most effective way for you ladies to remove your legs' hair? I'm getting tired of shaving often and still, I can see stubs on it Confused

Thanks all! Smile
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Well,maybe use a better razor?
not too sure...

But for me in pat because they were kind of cheaper I'm using men's razors- the ones with 4 blades I think it is.

The orange package Gilette Fusion? or whatever.
I know there is a women's version of that I think, but the price for the razor and 8 refills was too good to pass up (I paid around $3 last year for the razor, 8 refills and 2 shave cream).
-now am stuck with a bunch of men's shave cream I do not want Rolling Eyes

I find the brand name razors seem to work better than the cheapo razors (from what i was told,I always use the brand name razors..but heard from friends).

Right now my legs are still kind of blotchy-I had a bad allergic reaction to some cold medecine and it had left my legs red and totaly bruised,

I just try to ignore my skin issues- or else you can always use a tinted cream.
maybe a shimmery sunscreen will distract people, no one has commented on my legs though..exept a few people who remarked at how bad my skin was 2 years ago and recently saw me and were surprized at how much better my skin was.

I know Sally hansen has some airbrush legs in a can..so maybe that.
luvskincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have the dark coarse hair and large pores on my legs.I have tried waxing to see if the large pores disappear but they dont. AHA never made anything better. Try sunless tanning and see if that helps disguise the imperfections.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I use creams for hair removal. Even though my hair is not dark, I would recommend you to try it for your hair, because the chemicals in the cream make even rough skin on feet very soft, let alone they remove hair by "dissolving" it. I think it also has some bleaching effect on the hair. So if your hair is coarse and dark, using the cream should soften it and make the remaining hair at the root lighter.

I buy the cream in a hair removal product section of any store where there is a drugstore department (WalMart for example). I buy 3 min fast cream, but I remember I read on some of them "for coarse and dark hair).

I use the creams mostly because I cannot stand razor bumps and itching after shaving (especially in bikini area)
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I swear by expilators. I've been using them for years, and they really do make the hair sparser and finer over time. (Believe me, I got the hairy genes in my family...)

I found it quite painful the first couple of times, but them it gets easier and now I hardly mind at all. I even do my underarms without more than minor discomfort.

It helps with the pain at first to do them when the hair is slightly grown out but not too long. Also, a glass or two of wine seems to help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
I swear by expilators. I've been using them for years, and they really do make the hair sparser and finer over time. (Believe me, I got the hairy genes in my family...)

I found it quite painful the first couple of times, but them it gets easier and now I hardly mind at all. I even do my underarms without more than minor discomfort.

It helps with the pain at first to do them when the hair is slightly grown out but not too long. Also, a glass or two of wine seems to help!

I concur completely! I love my epilator.

It's torture the first 5 times I ever did it as I recall, but 20 years later I have little or no hair, and only use it 3 or 4 times a year now.

I shudder to think of living in Florida (where bear legs are the norm all year), and being a slave to shaving...ICK!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Waaaa - I want an epilady. I'm not a hairy girl but still shave the legs 2-3X a week. Do they still make epilady's?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
Can you use freezing gel like Emla or whatever with an epilator?

I would think that would work cuz you have to rinse the freezing cream off before procedures?

I had laser hair removal on my underarms.
the doctor I know charged me $50 a few years ago Smile

but I probably need 1 more treatment and think he sold his clinic..so no more deals for me Sad

I found after laser hair removal I can not use any chemical deodorants or fragranced deodorants as they always burn my skin Sad
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Epilady was my first epilator, way back when--probably thirty years ago. I'm not sure whether they still make them or not, but the technology has moved on. The epilady was based on a vibrating coil; the Braun Silk Epil uses a rotating cylinder with little mini tweezing clips. Sounds weird but it works more efficiently and with less ouchiness. The Braun has multiple speeds and a sensitive zone guard, none of which I use. It's full speed ahead for me!

Honestly, if you've ever waxed, you can epilate. And it's so much cheaper and less messy, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
When I was a lot younger, my hair was very tough and red hair. It was impossible to remove. There is a lot of work involved and this is what worked for me...

I took a bath with powder milk to soften my hair. I got my legs waxed for years and stopped this about five or so years ago because I couldn't stand the fact that I had to wait for the hair to be a certain length to get waxed.
Every other week I used those hair removal creams and when I shaved my legs, I used Aveeno shaving cream (I think it is the most expensive one at the drug store) and in the summer, I tried and it did help, used Aveeno lotion, specifically with soy in it, that promises to soften the hair or something like that (with pale blue packaging). That was applied after I shaved, then I used Lac-Hydrin 12% AHA at night. Exfoliating every other day with Fake Bake body polish or with baking soda helped also.

As for those black stubs you get, make sure you exfoliate like crazy when it is at that stage, by the 10th hour, your hair will appear that it grew longer. Soak in powder milk water, scrub again and shave.

During emergencies, use hair conditioner to shave with.

I hope this helps, but the most important thing is maintaining a regular regime.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper, I'm actually using the Gilette razor for ladies, 5 blades I believe and it doesn't give me that close shave I want.

ella-stella, which brand of the hair removal cream that you're using? Is it Nair? Does it dissolve those stubborn stubs too?

And as for epilators, is it the same as tweezing your hair? I know it's embarrassing but I did try tweezing a couple hair off my legs and developed in-grown hair or red bumps as a result, would epilators cause that too?

Thank you so~ much everyone for the replies! Smile
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Epilators might cause ingrowns--any technique that removes the hair below the skin creates that possibility. (But anything that doesn't remove the hair below the skin leaves that little black dot of stubble...)

I've heard that Tendskin is great to exfoliate the skin and prevent ingrowns. I myself use an AHA lotion (AmLactin) for the same purpose. I got it originally for KP on my arms and now use it on my legs and underarms to guard against ingrowns due to epilation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Epilady was my first epilator, way back when--probably thirty years ago. I'm not sure whether they still make them or not, but the technology has moved on. The epilady was based on a vibrating coil; the Braun Silk Epil uses a rotating cylinder with little mini tweezing clips. Sounds weird but it works more efficiently and with less ouchiness. The Braun has multiple speeds and a sensitive zone guard, none of which I use. It's full speed ahead for me!

Honestly, if you've ever waxed, you can epilate. And it's so much cheaper and less messy, too.

LOL! Here's a trip down memory lane for ya... By the way, they both still work as great as the day I go them (20 or 30 years ago... Bad Grin ) "Silk Epil" is the best by far though!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Memory lane or nightmare on Elm Street? I distinctly remember thinking that the Eplilady was no lady... Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I got tired of the same problem and been having hair lesser removal for a year and the hair is thinning.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Memory lane or nightmare on Elm Street? I distinctly remember thinking that the Eplilady was no lady... Laughing

It was quite the torture in the beginning. The rewards later are well worth it though..

One day I'll tell you about my bikini line fiasco ... Shock Image

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:

Good one flitcraft! I couldn't agree more I remember trying that monster gadget ages ago and throwing it in a drawer never to be used again! I have a pretty high threshold for pain 4 kids sans drugs but not that torture device!
Laughing Shock Laughing Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Invest in a good epilator. Unlike waxing which needs hair to be of a certain length before it is grippable, epilators can remove hair as short as 0.5mm. Your hair will get finer the more you do it. I don't actually recommend this but taking anti-androgen pills together, will lessen the hair growth and make it even finer. However, I wouldn't risk my health just to achieve that and I suggest you don't either.

To prevent ingrown hairs, exfoliate regularly so that dead skin cells don't plug the pores. Then hydrate well.
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
If your hairs are that coarse and dark, you would probably get good results with laser hair removal. I had this done and I have been very pleased with the results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
OMG - I had to laugh looking at your pictures of the Epilady. That was a torture device. My legs would just bleed and bleed after using... Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith wrote:
If your hairs are that coarse and dark, you would probably get good results with laser hair removal. I had this done and I have been very pleased with the results.

How many sessions did you have? I got a package of 8 and after only #2 and #3 the hair was almost all gone, but then almost all has come back since the 4th one. I just did number 5 and she gave me a free one, so I will have 4 more. I hope it will eventually all be gone, during the month or 2 that it was gone, it was fantastic! .

I also have light skin, thick black hair with the pores.

I got 8 sessions for $750.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
ammoniasmith wrote:

How many sessions did you have? I got a package of 8 and after only #2 and #3 the hair was almost all gone, but then almost all has come back since the 4th one. I just did number 5 and she gave me a free one, so I will have 4 more. I hope it will eventually all be gone, during the month or 2 that it was gone, it was fantastic! .

I also have light skin, thick black hair with the pores.

I got 8 sessions for $750.

WOW that seems awesome! I'm in Vancouver, do u know of any good places to do it? So after 8sessions, it's permanent or I have to redo it once in awhile? I heard some scary cases where their skin got all burned after hair laser removal Confused
southrnchic479

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
@lorimcp where/what company did you go to for the treatment? 750 seems dirt cheap!

Hi stardustdy...I used to have the same problem as you - I started shaving in the 3rd grade! That's how dark my hair is. I'm of Italian/Cuban descent so my hair is dark and my skin is light. That being said, I started waxing about 3 or 4 years ago. I use the Nair pre-waxed strips and while I never PERFECTLY get all of the hair out, my mom and my friends have noticed that I no longer have those super-dark dots all over my legs. It lasts a while, and I just shave in between waxes to keep the sparse but missed hairs at bay. I've also noticed I can "get away" with not shaving for a few days. Which is crazy for someone who shaved in the morning and had stubble by the end of the day (NO KIDDING HERE EITHER!)

When I do shave, I scrub my legs with a brush (I use shampoo - I find the one I use just gives me smoother skin), lather up with some shaving cream and shave.

But really, the longer you wax, the better it gets. If you have the money though, go for the laser treatment. I'm hoping to do that one day. Good luck girlie!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on the north side of Indy and my Plastic Surgeon's office also does laser, peels, etc. She is very reputable, even consulted at the White House at some point. They always have specials and last fall it was 50% off all laser, so lower legs was 750 for 8 treatments. That is pretty cheap, even around here. I didn't get started until February and tried to go every 4-5 weeks, but some of the time the head was being repaired. The first two were IPL, I don't know what brand. After 2 my hair was almost gone and i was sooo excited, then I got to use the Cutera for #3, which is stronger and 'snaps' a bit more. For the 4th I had to go back to IPL, the Cutera head was out for repair. I guess those are out a lot, so this office ordered and extra.

Well after 4, almost all my hair has come back, so she gave me a free one. I just got #5 and the hair is falling out again, the next four should be with Cutera which should work even better. This time I had a bit of a tan on my lets, so I got slightly pink, like a very mild sunburn.

I think if you are more olive complected or even darker, you need to use the Cutera, it can do darker skin without burning.

I have heard a lot of people say you have to go 5 - 8 times or it will come back.

I'll try to remember to update the thread with my progress, I was hoping someone might join in that has had it done over a longer time.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Clarks Botanicals Retinol Rescue Overnight Cream (50 ml) DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml)