Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Foundation advice needed!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to ask you......I have been using mineral makeup for almost 6 months now, and thought I had found my HG mineral makeup, but I think I am finding, that no matter what line I've tried (and I've tried alot) my skin is looking/feeling a little dry (even with my precious RYF Ambrosia!) I know the cold weather doesn't help and I haven't been drinking water like I should - but are there those of you who simply couldn't wear it b/c it was so drying? If so, what foundation do you suggest that gives a nice dewy (but not oily)flawless finish? Is there one out there?

I really do love the idea of minerals, but I can't use the ones with Bismuth Oxychloride (Jane Iredale, BE, Youngblood) and do love the Aromaleigh Glissade and Botany 101 - but even those are making my skin dry this time of year!

Thanks!

xoMaria

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Maria,
I have never been able to use these at all. I have found them to be very drying. Also accentuated every line and pore in my poor, aging visage! Smile I've been using the TruBlend line from CoverGirl when I use foundation but am starting to become a concealer only girl (Chanel Quick Cover). I'm finding that concealer through the center of my face where redness tends to occur, a bit along the jawline and the slightest dusting of powder through the t-zone works for me at this 40plus age....Seems that my skin is looking better with the "less is more" approach.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I just checked my package and Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals don't contain bismuth oxychloride.

I find that I don't get as Matte a look for the liquid minerals as I did from the powder. Still great coverage. Only thing is you need to blend it quickly as it dries quickly. My skin isn't very dry so you'll want to try it out first to see how it covers your skin. It didn't 'grab' on to my crusty dried zits though, which is good..

The only other minerals I've tried is the JI pressed based...but you said that one has the bismuth in it.
Mabsy

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I would also recommend that you try the JI Liquid Minerals. My mum has very dry skin and this is what she uses and she has not complained. In fact, she loves it so much that she's currently being stingy with hers because it's running out (little does she know she's getting one as part of her pressie Cool). I do agree that it does grab to dry bits so you need to work fast. But, if you'd be applying it over the Ambrosia then you should be fine. Be warned though, the shades in the Liquid Minerals are NOT the same as in the pressed (or loose I gather). I'm a Bisque in the liquid and a Warm Silk in the pressed (and Warm Silk in the liquid is too dark/warm for me). GloMinerals also has some liquid foundations (oil free) but I have not tried those, I was sucked in by JI Liquid Minerals packaging Embarassed Laughing

In terms of non-mineral foundation, I really like Tarte Smooth Operator. That leaves a dewy finish but it's quite moisturising. It doesn't have much coverage though - it's more of a tinted moisturiser really....
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:07 am      Reply with quote
I've had the same problem with my BE foundation lately, and I THINK I have found a decent substitute, namely the Hydrating Foundation from Versace. Gives a dewy finish, the colour selection is nice, and is not mask-like.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:53 am      Reply with quote
a nice hydrating mist or toner...
since winter has arrived, i've just been using a rose toner in a spray bottle.

i've found the trick is to spritz on quite a bit over the powder/pressed foundation and pat it in lightly + let the rest soak in. this leaves me slightly dewy and not at all cakey.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:15 am      Reply with quote
hi Maria! I had tried JI liquid when it first came out and thought it was terrible, even the sales gal hated it, they may have changed it since then, I thought she said they were going too?

CG Tru-blend is surprising very nice, especially for the price but pretty sheer, sometimes I mix with Armani fluid sheer or Smashbox luminizing liquids. I love Chanel Vitalumiere in liquid/cream. Cream is for really dry skin. I get mine off ebay.

Kanebo cream is very nice but $$$ and hard to find. (NY and Beverly hills carries it)

I use to rotate 13 foundations! I reviewed foundations a couple times on Cosmetic Connection as Debbie.

(foundations and mascaras are my obsession along with skincare of course! Wink

Hope you and your family have a Very Merry Xmas! deb

**edited** you might like Chantecaille future skin which is oil free but for winter I like Chanel better. I also like Smashbox liquid!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Ahh, you girls are just too wonderful.

Ya know, I remember the days of going to Rite Aid and deciding between Maybelline and Bonnie Bell - and now here I am getting advice (and itching to try) for Chanel, Versace, Tarte, etc.!!!! lol!

I too did not have much luck w/ JI in the liquid form - maybe I had an old formula too, or maybe I just didn't blend quick enough.

Deb - are the illuminizers like the Prescriptives Magic Potion? I'd been eyeing that too. The Chanel sounds really lovely - and I might even give good ol' Cover Girl a try. I am also a mascara NUT and have found a great one in Shisedo's Lasting Lift - my eyelashes are bone straight and this is the first one that keeps them curled ALL day. Very nice mascara. Been wanting to try HR's Spectacular but dont' know where to get it in the good ol' US.

Thanks all for helping me to spend yet more money that I don't have.

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Mariav,
I've dry skin and live in a cold dry climate too. I found Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation to be excellent and then I use Paula Dorf cheek cream and get a nice dewy look. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:46 am      Reply with quote
i am currently using the DOUBLE COMPLEXION Compact and TEINT CONTRÔLE Compact... my oily skin is loving it!

but as far as dry skin goes, my mom has very dry skin... and she uses VITALUMIÈRE... she loves it... it leaves her skin with a dewy satin look. she also uses TEINT COMPACT CRÈME UNIVERSEL, it gives a very unique feeling when applied...it sort of feels like you have applied a layer for water then absorbs right away... leaving your skin feeling very moisterized! unfortunately im not sure if it is available in North America, since i have only seen in it Asia.

I am almost finished with my Chanel, really want to try out mineral makeup... i ran into a brand called Cover FX in Canada... and have been told that its from the maker of M.A.C. does anyone here have experience with Cover FX?
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Maria,

Smashbox's luminizing lotions are similiar to Px but I like SB better, although I do have a magic Px powder I like that I got at the Cosmetic Store outlet.

I wrote up 3 seperate reports at CC on mascaras! Last xmas was the year of HR mascaras! I has SO buy me 3 from HR and my fave was the Vertignous (sp?) but if you want lengthen you might like Spectacular. I really like Fresh mascara that Sephora.com carries but $27! My holy grail is Maybelline lash expansion and I also like Lancome cils booster which I get off ebay. Lancome's hypnose/flextencils weren't bad but Maybelline is great for me and cheap Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to note that the Cream Finish foundation from Kanebo is very covering, but still not mask-like. I love the texture, but I prefer a more transparent end result.

Shiseido also has a nice, creamy foundation for dry skin. Smile
Happy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mariav,

I have very dry skin and my solution to stop foundation cracking / drying is to use a primer.

A primer is placed over your existing moisturizer and it will act as a barrier between your face and the foundation to stop the foundation from sinking in. There are some excellent “natural” primers on the market that I’ve tried that not only prime but hydrate the face at the same time giving a luminous / pore perfect effect to the face. My choices are:-

Clarins – [b]Beauty Flash Balm [/b]– Considered the best by some make up artists and is in “Style” magazines (UK edition) hall of fame – I sometimes use it as a mask

Decleor – [b]Instant De Beaute [/b]– feels wonderful on and hydrates

Cosmetic a la carte – [b]Rose Dew [/b]- Handmade in the UK using rose extracts, it gives the skins a wonderful silky finish - plus you can use around the eyes, I use mine as an eye mask as it depuffs and helps reduce my dark circles. www.cosmeticsalacarte.com

Happy
Lee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:14 am      Reply with quote
just looked at the cosmeticsalacarte site, got to get one of those lip gloss pens!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |