Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Need Furniture Color/Scheme help FAST!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
My new furniture (sofa, loveseat and chair) arrived today and I love it !! I did not realize how deep the furniture is however and the Love seat works, but is slightly large for the space. So I might return it and get another chair - I only have 72 hours to decide !!!

Here is my question, if I return the LS, should both chairs be the same color ?

Currently I have a butter yellow sofa and butter yellow love seat - the chair is terra cotta (all pieces are leather).

My mother says go with the two terracotta chairs and butter sofa for contrast.

I have always been of the opinion that the sofa and love seat (or chair) should match, and have another chair in an accent color.

Any opinions ?? Is there a right or wrong ??
thanks !
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with your mother. A butter sofa, a butter chair, and a terra cotta chair would look mis-matched (especially if the chairs are the same style/shape).

But a butter sofa and 2 terra cotta chairs will have a coordinated contrast. (the key is the PAIR of matching chairs, while one chair matching the sofa will make the terra cotta chair look like a 3rd wheel).

Either make all 3 the same color OR go with the sofa in one color and the pair of chairs in another color.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I worked 13 years in furniture merchandising so this one is right up my ally!

I agree, having the chairs a different color than the sofa is more modern and less "matchy-matchy".

To pull the whole thing together, you can have the same patterned toss pillows on both the sofa and the chair.

Have fun!!

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Bethany and erg. In fact, I have a sofa in color and two chairs in another. Your furniture sounds lovely!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have to say that I agree with the others. Too much "matchy-matchy" looks like you purchased everything off the department store floor. While, having some type of contrast, makes your furniture selection seem more "evolved" and thoughtful.

BTW, that's great that you're getting new furniture. How fun. Enjoy! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everybody else. And the pillow idea is great!

In my old flat I had a cream coloured sofa, 1 cream coloured chair, and 1 brown chair (all the same design). It didn't look good at all. I thought it was going to look modern and interesting but it just looked untidy and undefined, really.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I am so happy that you started this thread. I agree with everyone else about the terracotta chairs and butter yellow sofa. Pillows & throws can change the look if you do get bored.

Maybe next year, I will be doing our living and dining area. Since it is all open space, I don't know if the table & chairs furniture has to match with the book shelves, coffee table, another table stand for the telephone and a writing pad & pen. If I get some of those ottomans, does that have to match also? I certainly don't want a busy look that feels like that there is clutter.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare,
The most modern style is your home to look like you collected pieces over time - not (as mentioned above) that you went into a furniture showroom and decorated your room in one day. Mix woods, metal, wicker. Use different shades of wood that have the same tone, but different values (just a few shades lighter or darker that have the same undertones).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all your replies ! I am keeping the butter sofa and terra cotta chair, but also a love seat.

There is room for it all (I removed the ugly hutch behind the LS and visually the whole room opened up).

what if I keep the butter sofa, the terra cotta chair . . .. what color should the LS be? terra or butter ?

all replies welcome! Thank you.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
LuvToSmile wrote:
what if I keep the butter sofa, the terra cotta chair . . .. what color should the LS be? terra or butter ?

Butter...it needs to match the sofa since it is closer in shape to that than the chair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hi Skincare,
The most modern style is your home to look like you collected pieces over time - not (as mentioned above) that you went into a furniture showroom and decorated your room in one day. Mix woods, metal, wicker. Use different shades of wood that have the same tone, but different values (just a few shades lighter or darker that have the same undertones).

Thank you. It is frustrating when the colour flow is not right. It feels like clutter.

I'm glad that LuvToSmile started this thread.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:02 am      Reply with quote
LuvToSmile wrote:
thanks for all your replies ! I am keeping the butter sofa and terra cotta chair, but also a love seat.

There is room for it all (I removed the ugly hutch behind the LS and visually the whole room opened up).

all replies welcome! Thank you.

IMO, I think it would depend on the wall colors and the placement of furniture in the room. I could see either color working under the right circumstances.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:07 am      Reply with quote
I would think the loveseat should be a print of a different fabric, not leather.
If you really want to do leather, it should be the loveseat, as bethany said.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
THANK you all so much, you are an invaluable resource!!!

My butter sofa and loveseat look GREAT after all with the terra cotta chair. The ONLY problem now is what to paint the walls. The butter looks weak against the the light orange walls, too much of the same. My Mom says go darker for contrast (she is usually right but . . . my 80 year old living room has no wiring for overhead lights (only a few outlets for lamps) so it is pretty darn dark in here. Maybe Mom is right, since it is dark in here anyway should I just go with it ? What color, my mom says terrs cotta or do you think something like a sea blue or green would work ? Or would a whitish offer more contrast and brighten things up ?

I am NOT a decorator so thank you for any and ALL of your thoughts !
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:39 am      Reply with quote
For the walls - if you want to go dark, a deep plum would be great. If you want to keep it lighter, I think a warm blue would be nice. Since the terracotta is a warm color, you want to make sure that if you use a blue it is also a warm tone.

You could also just paint one wall a dark color - an "accent wall" and leave the others a neutral color. That can be very dramatic - you get the pop of color but it will not overwhelm your room.

Have fun!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about painting the walls a deeper yellow? I have yellow walls and love them. Everything goes with yellow and I can easily change fabrics and accessories when I get tired of them for a whole new look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I think about butter and terracotta, the first colors that come to mind for me are:

- dark brown...probably better for an accent wall unless you have lots of natural lighting or want an "intimate" feel to your room. But if intimate is what you are looking for, I'm sure the furniture would look fab with dark brown walls and lots of lamps.

- green...this could be anything from an apple green to a darker sage green, but more in the yellow-green family than the blue-green family

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |