Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Gold In A Jar -- Walgreen's Brand Alpha Hydroxy Cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hi,
I hope this is not too off topic, but this thread has inspired me to add AHA's to my routine.
I really wanted to find a liquid solution, rather than a cream. I found Alpha Hydrox site and they have swipes with 14% AHA.

So, a few questions:

1) Has anyone used this?

2) In looking at the ingredient list I see Ammonium Hydroxide. This is a SCARY chemical. I am an artist (I work with metal) and this chemical will corrode and eat through metals in minutes. It is so dangerous, you have to wear a full mask/respirator when using it. It is nasty stuff. So, I looked around and quite a few AHA products have this.. Any thoughts?

3) So, in trying to avoid that... Maybe I can make my own swipes. I have 88% lactic acid solution which I can dilute to about 10%. Does lactic acid has the same collagen building effects like glycolic acid? This one will take some more research .
Smile

(By the way, on another forum there was a recipe for a "DIY Amlactin" with 15% lactic acid and 85% lotion. It is WONDERFUL!!)

thanks!
erg

Didn't FDA guidelines indicate no more than 10% AHA concentration?
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Not sure about FDA guidelines, this is the first product that I have seen with this high of concentration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Not sure about FDA guidelines, this is the first product that I have seen with this high of concentration.

Hi erg, Smile

I posted the FDA regulations twice and I am thinking the 10% would be for face products under normal usage for skin.

AmLactin is sold as a body lotion and is for certain conditions. Here from the company is one example.

http://www.amlactin.com/keratosis-pilaris.html
AmLactin® can help smooth dry skin associated with KP

About KP
Keratosis pilaris—or KP—is a common condition that causes little red bumps on the skin. In fact, approximately 40% of the population has had KP at one time or another. KP is caused by a buildup of keratin—the protein found in skin and nails—in the openings of hair follicles. While KP is essentially harmless, it can become frustrating and irritating, because it is unattractive and often difficult to treat. KP is only one of many skin conditions that can cause little red bumps. Only your doctor can determine if you have KP.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DM Smile Totally missed that about FDA...

14% seems high... but then again, I can leave on the NCN pumpkin peel for 30 minutes without the least bit of redness or irritation! I must have really tough skin.

If I were to purchase, I would use these only every other day.

I am just trying to avoid the cream version (Walgreens or Alpha Hydox).

Now, I am wondering... despite my skin being resilient if this is too much...

Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 am      Reply with quote
It's seems so individual erg, I have left a glycolic peel on for an hour (wouldn't recommend that) and when I finally finished I just looked like I had used a mask! Never peeled or had anything other than a little pink for about 10 minutes. I have read where others can use heavy lactic acid peels just fine yet can't tolerate glycolic at all?

Since you are planing to DIY possibly? Maybe start at 10% and work up? See how your skin reacts. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:25 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
It's seems so individual erg, I have left a glycolic peel on for an hour (wouldn't recommend that) and when I finally finished I just looked like I had used a mask! Never peeled or had anything other than a little pink for about 10 minutes. I have read where others can use heavy lactic acid peels just fine yet can't tolerate glycolic at all?

Since you are planing to DIY possibly? Maybe start at 10% and work up? See how your skin reacts. Smile

What's up with the 'tough skin' thing? I feel asleep with a glycolic peel on (REN) and I didn't even get pink! Do you think the peels are actually working?
Shock
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I don't know SoCalGal,

I am pretty sure Keliu said glycolic has really irritated her skin, yet she has used other professional strength peels without a problem?
I haven't ever had a bad reaction to anything, it's really hard to figure out what it is all about! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I don't know SoCalGal,

I am pretty sure Keliu said glycolic has really irritated her skin, yet she has used other professional strength peels without a problem?
I haven't ever had a bad reaction to anything, it's really hard to figure out what it is all about! Shock

Question I guess it's a good thing . . . .
Have a great Halloweekend!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I don't know SoCalGal,

Yeah I think it's good in the grand scheme of things! Smile

You have a fun Halloween too, try not to eat all the candy! Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I don't know SoCalGal,

Yeah I think it's good in the grand scheme of things! Smile

You have a fun Halloween too, try not to eat all the candy! Bad Grin

What, moi? Bad Grin
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
FYI Online Only: Walgreens sale on Beauty Products: $5.00 off $30.00 or $10 off $50. Free shipping over $25.00.

I got 5 more jars. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
FYI Online Only: Walgreens sale on Beauty Products: $5.00 off $30.00 or $10 off $50. Free shipping over $25.00.

LOL, You are as bad as me I have 6 jars here in the house, I seem to grab them whenever I run into a Walgreens! Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:

LOL, You are as bad as me I have 6 jars here in the house, I seem to grab them whenever I run into a Walgreens! Bad Grin

Guilty! I'm really liking it on my bod too though! And the Santa Ana winds started today. That mean single digit humidity and mucho itching for me!
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I don't even live the US, Im from Australia, but was there recently and after reading about Walgreens AHA I must of went to every store trying to hunt it down, I came back with 4 jars! The texture of the AHA is so smooth and light, and the price makes it a steal. Thanks for the discovery
mom2eloise
5% products discount

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I recently bought a jar of this after reading this thread. I expected to break out more than ever since everything seems to cause acne for me even though I'm in my 50's. I never use cream of any kind, break out from anti aging products no matter what brand.

Anyway, after the first 2 weeks my breakouts have been eliminated! Even during my period I stayed clear which is unheard of for me. I now have 3 more jars squirreled away and have my teenage daughter using this for her breakouts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
mom2eloise,

That's great to hear it's helped you so well! I think if we all keep stashing away this cream we may end up on that show "Hoarders"!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
mom2eloise,

That's great to hear it's helped you so well! I think if we all keep stashing away this cream we may end up on that show "Hoarders"!!!

It will just be a contest as to who has the most jars! LOL!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
mom2eloise,

It will just be a contest as to who has the most jars! LOL!

Too funny, are we all going to post pictures of the pile of jars? Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have to be careful not to apply too much or it will sting my face and redden it. Has anyone else had this problem, too?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
I have to be careful not to apply too much or it will sting my face and redden it. Has anyone else had this problem, too?

Natalyn,

I have no problem with the cream at all, however nothing seems to cause me issues. I think it's important to do what is best for your skin and if too much is irritating then use the amount that is comfortable for you. You may want to use it every other day and see if you can work up? We all have different sensitivities and you should cater to yours. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:

I had the same problem but it was because I was putting too much on. I do slather it on my legs and it is doing wonders for my dried riverbed skin. Love this stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:31 am      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

I had the same problem but it was because I was putting too much on. I do slather it on my legs and it is doing wonders for my dried riverbed skin. Love this stuff.

"Dry riverbed skin"! I love that description! Except here in S. Calif. we call it an arroyo! LOL!

I love this cream too. It works wonders on the KP on my arms. I use it a couple times a week alternating with my fave SheaTerraOrganics pure shea butter! My skin is like velvet!

By the way - I have 1 open jar and 6 backups - who can top that?! Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal,

LMAO, We are neck and neck on the number of jars! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SoCalGal,

LMAO, We are neck and neck on the number of jars! Laughing

Too funny!
We'll see what happens at the next sale!
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

Great idea! I will start using this on my legs, too. They're getting awfully dry and bumpy.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |