Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you tell people you do facial exercises ...etc?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering if you actually tell people all the crazy things you do to your face...facial exercises...cupping,Tanaka massage etc.....I for one do not tell anyone except my sisters.I am afraid they will think I am nuts! Embarassed
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I think it´s really up to you and the mentality of people that surround you. For example i can´t tell that i do tanaka massage every night to my brothers otherwise they would be laughing their ass off lol (They say that if they dropped a lit match in my bedroom the all house would explode because of the chemicals in the cosmetics, the clowns lol)
If one of my friends mentions these subjects (cosmetics, tanaka,cupping) yes I mightl say I do it, depending on the point of view of that person. So yeah, I´m like you, I don´t tell everyone.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 am      Reply with quote
You know this is a subject that I’ve constantly thought about many times (bearing in mind that I teach facial exercises) and so with new clients I’ve often suggested that they don’t tell people for the reasons I’ll explain below.

More often than not even with the best intentions, people that my clients will want to discuss this with haven’t usually read the program or seen or heard about it or its effectiveness and so it often becomes a laughing matter, whereby without intention they bombard the person with questions and kind of make a little fun of the person. More often than not, when a person is new to facial exercises, they will of course have done their homework and read some FAQs, but there will always be questions which can cause themselves to have doubts in their mind which they are unable to answer. Even the most supportive people, can be without intention, able to provoke doubt in our minds.

Even when I think back to when I started facial exercises (after my car crash incident) when I told people I would often be told that it was simply a waste of time, will never work, or the best one used to be: if it worked everyone would be doing it (and that used to get me questioning it myself). Its not to suggest that people can’t work through it, but I always think why make life any more difficult than it needs to be. Usually the clients who do follow that advice might tell their partner who will ridicule them a little, but within a few weeks their friends start noticing and making comments (you know the kind: have you been on holiday, or are you in love etc) and that is motivating in itself (its kind of external feedback that what they are doing is having a result). However, if you get kind of questioning in the beginning that your unable to answer and have doubts, its very hard to stay motivated and continue to work out.

Nowadays I’ve no problem telling people that I do facial exercises, but I’m also a teacher so much better able to answer questions and doubting questions etc, but there’s no way I would have been equipped to do so in the early days.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I keep everything a secret! Except for my sister I tell noone anything. Especially at work if you tell 1 person its like telling 1000 and then you will be talked about behind your back. All my secrets get revealed here only.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Most people will not get the Facial Exercise thing - not right away. One thing Sean wrote that stood out and that is:
I would often be told that it was simply a waste of time, will never work, or the best one used to be: if it worked everyone would be doing it

Exercise for the body works and most people still don't do it - so that certainly doesn't hold water.

I tell a very few people about my facial exercies. I don't know if they believe it is helping me or not. However I am complimented about face type things (and have some friends using DIY) so I think those who know me have a question in their own minds as to the difference facial exercise makes. Hey, I do too. It isn't easily measured - that's for sure.

I look at pictures of myself from four or five years ago and I like the way I look now better. Is it the products, the exercises, the LED's, the massage ----Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

I know regular exercise helps the muscles of my body both tone and build so I do believe it helps the face and also gives better blood flow.

EDITED TO ADD - Dermarolling - yes... Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Its something that many newbies do encounter when they first start discussing it, and I can kind of understand it as if someone has never exercised their faces, then naturally curiosity arises out of it being mentioned, but the trouble comes when they start asking very good questions (which the person may not have thought about before but then start thinking about) but do not have the information to be able to answer. Like most things in the beginning it can be very overwhelming with the amount of information out there, but most people I work with usually are not quite sure about facial exercises, so when they get little doubting thoughts like this, it is very easy to get doubts and start becoming demotivated (although its quite easy for people to push through this also but they need to be very determined). I’m not saying it can’t be done, quite the opposite, I’m living proof (as if I can do it – in reality anyone can), but I realize that people don’t always want to put themselves up for comments/questions which is understandable.

Even now as a teacher, one of the most common questions I still get is “if it works why isn’t everyone doing it” but now I’m able to respond “because they don’t know about them or what they can do and if they did then most people would” and journalists seem to like that response as it doesn’t attack the interviewer, but it also highlights that this information is out there but it just hasn’t reached all the people it needs to at present.

Where I think Sis is lucky is that she has done this for a while, so has seen positive changes for herself from all these things, where in comparison someone who has just started facial exercises may not have yet gained that insight which I think is so vital.

Sean
sister sweets wrote:
Most people will not get the Facial Exercise thing - not right away. One thing Sean wrote that stood out and that is:
I would often be told that it was simply a waste of time, will never work, or the best one used to be: if it worked everyone would be doing it

Exercise for the body works and most people still don't do it - so that certainly doesn't hold water.

I tell a very few people about my facial exercies. I don't know if they believe it is helping me or not. However I am complimented about face type things (and have some friends using DIY) so I think those who know me have a question in their own minds as to the difference facial exercise makes. Hey, I do too. It isn't easily measured - that's for sure.

I look at pictures of myself from four or five years ago and I like the way I look now better. Is it the products, the exercises, the LED's, the massage ----Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

I know regular exercise helps the muscles of my body both tone and build so I do believe it helps the face and also gives better blood flow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I tell people when it's appropriate. I mean, decades ago, people thought body exercise was a bad idea...I think facial exercises and toning through electrical stimulation is simply going through that same phase now.

I'm sure some of them think I'm crazy Smile ... but then again, I've always marched to the beat of my own drum and wouldn't want to live my life any other way Smile And I do feel that some people are genuinely interested, so I'm comfortable enough with it all to take the risk of "planting seeds" with some.

And I like to joke with myself that years from now many of those people will be pretending they always thought it was a great idea...LOL! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Oh, but lucyluc....The one mortifying thing that happened to me once is that I was caught doing facial exercises, while doing isometric squats (what can I say, I like to be time efficient), late at night while at my boyfriend's work...It was SOOOOOO embarrassing....I'll never do that one again....Fortunately, the lady who caught me was really nice about it...though I'm sure she thought that I was absolutely bonkers Smile My boyfriend tried to explain what had happened the next day at work. Sooo embarassing! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:38 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

So true...if we all worked out..we'd have great bodies..why wouldn't that be true for the face? Most people want to be lazy and look their best and it just isn't going to happen.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Everyone I know thinks I am all about skincare and fashion, so I discuss anything to do with beauty and fashion only if someone brings it up.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Only people who know are my husband and children, they are used to the wacky gadgets.

They don't even blink when I am wearing my Safetox gadget, lol!! Very Happy Laughing
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I went to bed once with my frownies on for the first time.......my husband never said a word...I think he was afraid to ask....after all the wacky things I do...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

So true...if we all worked out..we'd have great bodies..why wouldn't that be true for the face? Most people want to be lazy and look their best and it just isn't going to happen.

So true. If we could all see the benefits of one year of faithful facial exercise We would love it (and believe) but it takes time and devotion to continually follow through... so in most cases it doesn't happen. Human nature.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I agree
sister sweets wrote:
hotdocgirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

So true. If we could all see the benefits of one year of faithful facial exercise We would love it (and believe) but it takes time and devotion to continually follow through... so in most cases it doesn't happen. Human nature.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Lisocas et al, I LOVE telling people I do facial exercise...Here's why. A lot of my friends and colleagues are doctors and derms. I constantly hear, "You are HOW OLD????" from those who don't know me when I tell them I am 58. I then tell them I maintain my skintone with facial exercise. I am then told in not so many words that I am an idiot. This is when I launch into a discussion about combining red light therapy in a very specific range with epigallocatechin gallates and mention a few things about gene switch stimulation through the use of benfotiamine, pterastilbenes and resveratrol and watch their faces go first blank and then impressed. (I am blonde...) Yes, you bet I tell them I do facial exercise... Laughing Laughing Laughing And good luck to anyone who dares tell me I will get wrinkles from it, whatever their profession. Brick wall

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
This is when I launch into a discussion about combining red light therapy in a very specific range with epigallocatechin gallates and mention a few things about gene switch stimulation through the use of benfotiamine, pterastilbenes and resveratrol and watch their faces go first blank and then impressed. Brick wall

Antonia,

this does sound impressive, care to elaborate on gene switch stimulation, I've never heard of this before,

Jackie xx
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:05 am      Reply with quote
LOL....That's awesome, Antonia! You go girl Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Agree. Facial exercise isn't for the faint of heart. You gotta have faith... Laughing
My face really likes massage and facial exercise . Once you get comfortable with it you don't want to go without it. Your body knows it's a good thing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I would never tell anyone except for close friends and family. People are forever complimenting me and asking 'what is your secret?' and receive the response 'sunscreen and a good diet' as a soon to be twenty five year old that is alway carded and accused of being seventeen, it wouldn't be a secret if others knew about it Razz
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
...and watch their faces go first blank and then impressed. (I am blonde...) Yes, you bet I tell them I do facial exercise... And good luck to anyone who dares tell me I will get wrinkles from it, whatever their profession.

Laughing Laughing I just love this Antonia!

5% products discount

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I for one think we should be spreading the word about facial exercise. A lot of people have never heard about it and just assume that surgical facelifts and botox are the only things that work. I don't want my young daughter growing up in that kind of environment and thinking that surgery and botox are the only methods with any credibility just because that's what most people end up doing.

If more people talked about their experiences with facial exercises and maybe even heard about some celebrities choosing it over surgery etc., there would be more public acceptance of facial exercise. Unfortunately right now a lot of people see it as a gimmick.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
lawmom wrote:
I for one think we should be spreading the word about facial exercise. A lot of people have never heard about it and just assume that surgical facelifts and botox are the only things that work. I don't want my young daughter growing up in that kind of environment and thinking that surgery and botox are the only methods with any credibility just because that's what most people end up doing.

If more people talked about their experiences with facial exercises and maybe even heard about some celebrities choosing it over surgery etc., there would be more public acceptance of facial exercise. Unfortunately right now a lot of people see it as a gimmick.

Welcome to EDS lawmom wave ,
Facial exercises are very popular topics here at EDS. You will find numerous threads covering all the most popular facial exercise programs. Just do a search and you will see tons of postings about them. Have fun here on EDS...lotss of great information.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Yes I do , but what I have found is that a lot of people make grimaces and say that yes they know about them and that sometimes they do it too Laughing
And then they start telling me all about them with no real knowledge, I kind of give up after that, trying to correct them can get really heated Shock

Others look at me as if I am completely mad,and thats not telling them about the dermaroller,led, tua trend etc etc
Laughing
I think it is a judgement call at the time as to what and how much you say, slao how much you value the friendship!

Does this sound weird but sometimes being skin "obsessed" or anti ageing interested can get realy lonely Exclamation

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |