Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

anti depressants and thin skin? (sorry, long)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever herd of anti depressants causing skin thinning.
I had been on fluoxetine for 3 years but then came off them last year in june, felt fine until November when almost over night I started to develop eye bags and my skin got thinner and thinner. You can see all the veins underneath.

I got very depressed about this and ended up going back on the anti d's in jan. Both the eye bags and thin skin have continued to get worse.

Whilst looking up how anti d's can lead to hair loss (which I've also had). I have seen how they lessen the amount of protein the body absorbs. So if this is the case, I'm thinking it could lead to the skin thinning?. ( also I'm a vegetarian and do struggle to get a lot of protein in my diet anyway). Sorry that this has been so long and rambelling, if anyone has any thoughts I would be very grateful for your input. Thanks you
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
From what you described, I see so many indications that you really should read a book of Elizabeth Vliet MD about hormonal balance. I think you will find a lot of answers there.

Depression, mood swings, hair loss, sudden & mysterious skin problems... I would certainly check the hormones! But before you rush to a regular doctor, research and read up on natural hormone balance. I personally liked very much the explanations of E. Vliet.

This is the list of her books. I read #2, but they all are similar. The link is from Amazon, but I went to a local library and borrowed it first. Now that I know it is useful to keep, I will buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AElizabeth%20Vliet&field-author=Elizabeth%20Vliet&page=1
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Doctors are always so quick to give middle aged women antidepressants for everything, treating the symptoms and not the cause. Bioidentical hormones are one answer, as well as omega 3 and Vitamins D3 for moods.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever herd of anti depressants causing skin thinning.
I had been on fluoxetine for 3 years but then came off them last year in june, felt fine until November when almost over night I started to develop eye bags and my skin got thinner and thinner. You can see all the veins underneath.

I got very depressed about this and ended up going back on the anti d's in jan. Both the eye bags and thin skin have continued to get worse.

Whilst looking up how anti d's can lead to hair loss (which I've also had). I have seen how they lessen the amount of protein the body absorbs. So if this is the case, I'm thinking it could lead to the skin thinning?. ( also I'm a vegetarian and do struggle to get a lot of protein in my diet anyway). Sorry that this has been so long and rambelling, if anyone has any thoughts I would be very grateful for your input. Thanks you

Have you thought about taking a protein supplement? Smile
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:14 am      Reply with quote
I took the same AD for 5 years and did not notice any of these effects when I came off it.

Would say the best way to thicken the skin is manipulation either massage or dry brushing.
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply, really appreciate it.

Was just wondering what protein supplements you were thinking of skincarejunkie?, was it whey protein or is there something else I could try, thank u! ( oh I do take l-carnosine btw).

Also I have had my hormones tested and the only thing which came back was my prolactin was slighty high. (Also I'm 32, sorry forgot to out that before)
Thank you everyone Smile
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply, really appreciate it.

Was just wondering what protein supplements you were thinking of skincarejunkie?, was it whey protein or is there something else I could try, thank u! ( oh I do take l-carnosine btw).

Also I have had my hormones tested and the only thing which came back was my prolactin was slighty high. (Also I'm 32, sorry forgot to out that before)
Thank you everyone Smile

Yes I was thinking something along the lines of Whey Protein but they also have Soy Protein for those who are Vegan.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I'm sorry for all your skincare woes but your not alone!

Smile
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers
hi. i have suffered terrible skin thinning because of a steroid injection a doctor gave me for pain. my skin has not healed. have you had anything like that? have you had a baby in the last few years? the hormonal fluctuation thing is supposed to really affect women's skin. have you changed your diet? is the thinning all over your body or just on your face? i have heard that too much sun can cause the skin to thin. i know when i miss my vit a for a few days my skin looks worse. i take it in caplet form and it helps. i have seen rice protein powders in the health food store, and used them for a while. if you are vegan that might be the way to go. i am about to go see a derm about my skin so i will let you know what he says. btw have you tried msm? it is supposed to help with the skin. i am going to start very soon. i keep forgetting to take it. i bet there are answers for your skin, so don't panic. maybe see a derm and get her advise.
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thank u SKJ! Yes I'm going to try some whey protein, think thats a good idea. Yes, thank goodness we have this forum so we know we're not the only ones dealing with skin problems.

Hi alexes, we spoke before about skin thinning, I was the person who experienced the bags & thin skin, after a virus. Ive since been thinking there could be other reasons for it such as lack of protein etc. Hope your trip to the derm went well and you got some helpful advice. Yes that would be lovely if you could share anything you've lernt there.
I have tried the msm, its so hard to tell if supplements are working isn't it! Am also trying l-carnosine & pycnogonal which I've read they can help to thicken skin, hopefully we'll find something that does the trick one day!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |