Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what type of moisturizer should i use with retin-a cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sana

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
i have been using retin-a cream for one week and my face started peeling from the second day
now My skin is looking dry and some parts are crusty and some part are red and im not mad because i now that i cant get over this side effect for this product i do apply the retin a cream in the night and in the morning after i wish my face i do apply some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) as a moisturizer to reduce the flaky,dryness and redness looking is that ok to use petroleum jelly to my face? i have oily skin and im not worker women i stay at home all the day so i dont need to apply sunblock
and if its not OK to use Vaseline can i use antibiotic cream (Fucidin cream) or Corticosteroids cream (Betnovate cream) cream?
Question Question Question
sana

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
no help Shock Shock Shock
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
sana wrote:
no help Shock Shock Shock

Just give it time sana, it can take a while for answers, people log on and off so just hang in there and I am sure you will get plenty of advice! Smile

Welcome!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
You apply retin-a twice a day? Thats really not necessary and you will likely get alot of irritation from doing that. Keep in mind irritation can sometimes take several days to start showing.

It's fine to use vaseline but it doesn't really moisturizer, its helps hold in moisture. I apply it to dry spots after moisturizing.

I like Cerave moisturizer. You can apply moisturizer after the retin-a, waiting about 1 hr. Or applying before to buffer the retin-a.

I wouldn't recommend using cortisone creams unless you really need to. And when you do it is best to only use them for 3-4 days at a time.

I'm not familiar with the antibiotic cream you mentioned but in general they are ok to use during the day when you are not using retin-a.
mandyjune

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using a retin a cream recommended by a dermatologist or physician? Most skin care professionals would only recommend you use retin a several times a week I think especially in the beginning since it's such a strong product that you need to adapt to it first. If you're applying it twice a day it's really going to dry out your skin in excess. Try scaling back on the topical treatment and moisturize more with face moisturizers like Aveeno.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
sana wrote:
i have been using retin-a cream for one week and my face started peeling from the second day
now My skin is looking dry and some parts are crusty and some part are red and im not mad because i now that i cant get over this side effect for this product i do apply the retin a cream in the night and in the morning after i wish my face i do apply some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) as a moisturizer to reduce the flaky,dryness and redness looking is that ok to use petroleum jelly to my face? i have oily skin and im not worker women i stay at home all the day so i dont need to apply sunblock
and if its not OK to use Vaseline can i use antibiotic cream (Fucidin cream) or Corticosteroids cream (Betnovate cream) cream?
Question Question Question

I wouldn't use an antibiotic cream or a corticosteroid unless you get specific directions from a derm. However, if you can find Aquaphor or a zinc diaper rash cream, you could use either one. The diaper rash cream will usually heal the dry spots and redness in a few days tops. Either one is good to try.

(GirlieGirl, unless I misunderstood, I don't think sana meant she is using retin a twice a day, but only at night with the Vaseline in the morning.)
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:08 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
(GirlieGirl, unless I misunderstood, I don't think sana meant she is using retin a twice a day, but only at night with the Vaseline in the morning.)

I wasn't clear on that so I wanted to address it just in case.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I wasn't clear on that so I wanted to address it just in case.

Using some periods to end her sentences would've helped with that. I had to read it twice to understand what she was saying, too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:19 am      Reply with quote
sana - it can take a while for your skin to adjust to Retin A. Were you prescribed to use this by a doctor? Or did you get some on your own? And, what strength and what base is in your Retin A? (Generic v Brand name or if it is Retin A Micro).

Most doctors would advise a new user to moderate the use of Retin A in the beginning, until their skin gets use to it. Moderate it by using it 3 times per week for a few weeks. Gradually let your skin adjust.

Also, you want to make sure that your skin is absolutely dry before applying it (let it dry for 20 minutes before hand).

You may also have to go to a gentler version - a smaller % or the Micro version(which is suppose to be less irritating).

If you have oily skin, I would NOT use an occlusive ingredient like a petrolium jelly (Vaseline). That would be comedogenic and might cause breakouts. And I also would not use a cortocosteriod cream for an extended period of time as they can dangerously thin the skin (v the benficial 'thinning' that Retin A does).

Finally, I would recommend trying Copper Peptides to calm your skin down. It's perfect to use w/ Retin A. My skin would get similiar reactions from retinoids (I was using Retin A or Tazorac at the time) when I discovered CPs. The CPs totally got rid of the dryness, redness and flakiness from Retin A. PLUS, they have performed wonderfully at getting rid of some wrinkles and acne scars, and firming up my skin as well as giving it a nice 'glow' and youthful look. (Can you tell I'm a CP fan?)

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 am      Reply with quote
hi every body and thnx for your replying

(girly girl) i just applied retin at night im just

confuse about what kind of moisturizer should i

use in the morning since i have Oliy skin?
sana

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:46 am      Reply with quote
:)
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
sana wrote:
hi every body and thnx for your replying

(girly girl) i just applied retin at night im just

confuse about what kind of moisturizer should i

use in the morning since i have Oliy skin?

Copper Peptides - many different ones to choose from. See the link I gave you earlier.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
one thing you can do is to cleanse your skin with oil (the oil cleansing method). I find it really helps with flakey skin after retin, and using the washcloth with it gets rid of flakes.

I tend to use avocado oil on non retin nights, and i do sometimes apply vaseline over any cream I use on the morning to keep the moisture in. I have oily skin, but not very spot prone so vaseline is fine to use if you are not spot prone either..

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
laellis
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to Retin-A as well - going on my third week. I'm using 0.025% gel and am only applying it every second night. I haven't had any issues so far, so maybe you could take a bit of a break until your skin calms down and then try using it alternating nights until you get used to it. As for moisturizers, I'm also using CP's at night (alternating nights with Retin-A at the moment), and am using a DIY C serum followed by a DIY Decleor Ylang Ylang oil during the day.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Finally, I would recommend trying Copper Peptides to calm your skin down. It's perfect to use w/ Retin A. My skin would get similiar reactions from retinoids (I was using Retin A or Tazorac at the time) when I discovered CPs. The CPs totally got rid of the dryness, redness and flakiness from Retin A. PLUS, they have performed wonderfully at getting rid of some wrinkles and acne scars, and firming up my skin as well as giving it a nice 'glow' and youthful look. (Can you tell I'm a CP fan?)

What product specifically would you recommend from that website for moisturizing skin that's flaking/dry/peeling from RA usage? Thanks!
LaFaughn

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know where I can buy cheap retna A online without a RX. It cost me almost $ 100.00 a tube where I live.
papaya

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
owndoc sells 0.025 / 0.05 / 0.1% tretinoin cremes for around 28 euros.
LaFaughn

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you papaya for the information, but I am in the USA.Is owndoc in the USA?
havana8

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:50 am      Reply with quote
LaFaughn wrote:
Thank you papaya for the information, but I am in the USA.Is owndoc in the USA?

I believe they are in Europe but ship worldwide. Here's the link: http://owndoc.com Smile
troyprofessor

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Since I have a ton of expensive face and eye creams and moisturizers, I need to know which I can use 20-30 min. after applying Retin-A. I've heard that several ingredients or chemicals will deactivate the retinol. Does anyone know? I do not need or want to buy new products.
bigsmilebigdreams
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I like organic products only. Retin is great but dry up the skin a lots then you end up with dehydrated skin and ore wrinkles. I highly suggest something with hyaluronic acid in it which will not clog your pores. I love the Bio Identical Hyaluronic Acid serum for that. I get it online for like $75 buck for 2 ounces bottle. Also great to use under the eyes to crow's feet.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Another HA option would be Hado Labo Premium. It's about $12 for 5oz. My skin is dry and when it's really bad, I put on the HA a few times a day and top with a couple drops of argan oil.

You can use this 30 min after applying retin A.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |