Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

how to help daughter with acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Please I need guidance. My 18 year old daughter has acne. She's a freshman in college and I want to help her clear it up so she can get a bit more social in her life.

I have clear skin and never had to deal with this issue. Any advise on sure fire ways to help her would be so appreciated Her acne on a scale of 1 -10 is 7 bad..but not the worst version.

I've seen some of you say the Dermawand helps with this...any other advice?

I would so appreciate any suggestions ..before I buy a lot of things that don't work and experiment on my own child.

Thanks!
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the dermawand and I can't say for sure if it helped or not. I've also used the Blue Quasar-again, I have no idea if it worked or not and if so to what degree. When i was younger, i tried everything like exfoliating and obagi for the acne marks. I think what works depends what is causing the acne to begin with.

My suggestion is to try birth control pills. That worked for me since I used to get acne (large ones too) near my period time.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
So it looks like trial and error...just like with skin rejuvenation? Something work for some..not for others?
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
So it looks like trial and error...just like with skin rejuvenation? Something work for some..not for others?
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 am      Reply with quote
I really like Mario Badescu samples.

The drying mask and also the whitening mask.
Buffering lotion, healing powder.

Seaweed night cream moisturizes without oil or silicone and is nice for any skin type.

But there is so many good brands it is hard to just chose one.

I still get some blemishes sometimes (not many just 1 or 2) and so alternate between blemish stuff, regular skincare and stuff for dry/normal skin.

I am probably using a few different creams or products for blemishes (not at the same time,lol) as for me using the same product all the time does not seem to work as well.
Also, if my skin is just feeling oilier or just normal I just use a toner for prevention (an AHA toner).

Maybe see if you can get samples of things first. that way you know if a product is not too harsh for you.

I also liked the Serious skincare continuously clear line...that is sold on HSN
Can't use the mask anymore as my skin is not liking it...but the mask is very good!

I also like Neostrata,Nucelle, M2 skincare, Juice Beauty...
Angus

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Dear Parent,

If your son or daughter is suffering from teenage acne then you have every right to be concerned. Because I’m telling you from personal experience, their acne is shunting their emotional, social, and intellectual growth in more ways then you can realize.

And probably the most significant thing you can do for them is to help them overcome this acne challenge once and for all.

I’m serious about that…I’m speaking from direct experience.

I suffered from severe acne for years. And I avoided life because of it. Where every other teenager was “in” life experiencing it…I was hiding in the corner, hoping no one would see me.

And I sure did pay a price, not only in self-esteem but social, emotional, and my intellectual development. It took years for me to catch up after I finally cured my acne.

So I’m speaking from experience when I say, helping your child overcome teenage acne permanently will have a greater impact on their life then just about anything else. It’s far more important then the grades they get or the college they get into…really! It’s impacting them that much.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Angus..thanks..if anything will motivate me to stop putting this off..it is your note.

I think I'll write Nanci from NCN..she may have some type of plan of action.

My daughter has never had a boyfriend..she is very pretty..but I think those blemishes turn the guys off. I'd never tell her that..but I know how it is ..that human nature is just drawn to clear skin.
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I would just like to add my story,

My son suffered from pretty bad acne for a few years, started when he was about 14, we tried lots of products, none of which did any good. By the time he was about 16-17 I finally brought him to a dermatologist who put him on Roaccuatane. Now this is a very strong drug which is prescribed for acne, has some side effects, mainly very very dry lips and nose membranes.My son suffered no other side effects although there are lots of side effects that can be suffered apparently. Anyway long story short, it was amazing to see his skin clear. He was on it for about 5 months I think, His acne was pretty much gone with 2-3 months. He is now nearly 22 and he is not scarred or anything. We did talk it through with the derm at the time, and as she suggested some times you just have to bring in the big guns. My son was willing to try anything.

anyway just wanted to share, I have seen some kids who have terrible acne and I really feel for them. Personally I think if there is a drug that can cure it, why not?? Again I state this is just my opinion. Not everyone will agree.

I wish your daughter all the best..xx
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Ditto to Angus. In retrospect, my skin probably wasn't that awful, but those zits were the only things I saw when I looked in the mirror. It didn't help that I was shy.

My youngest is 13 and has fairly mild acne, though of course it bothers him a lot. I told him I'd take him to a dermatologist, but we decided to try home remedies first. I read some of the latest research in derm journals and for the last few months he's been washing with salicylic acid and using benzoyl peroxide. And it's working! (Also bleaching his freckles, whichh he doesn't seem to mind.)

My daughter wanted to go on accutane a few years ago. I was not thrilled about that because I know two local families whose kids committed suicide while on the drug, and there are strong implications (though not definitive proof) of accutane causing psychiatric disorders. (google "accutane" and "suicide") So I would let my college student use it only during a time when I could keep an eye on her. It should be a last resort drug for cystic acne.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
For what it's worth - I've read some mixed impressions here on EDS and also on Skin Biology's forum regarding benzoyl peroxide after effects. I know it does help initially but long-term is where I have heard some have problems. (I really have no experience myself so I'm just throwing it out there).

I have a 14 year old son who is just starting the "break out" time of life. It isn't bothering him as much as me at this point. He isn't thrilled that I'm steering him toward Stridex and other things containing salicylic acid - I got him some retin-a micro also. I'm sure eventually he'll be glad to use all the things I'm offering to help.
These years are so crucial - kids can be terribly hard on each other. Thank you to Angus for sharing her/his story. Very strong message.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I would suggest a visit to the dermatologist, if you can. I've gone through this acne thing with one of my sons (he's almost 17 now). He's had bad cystic acne.

It's been a tough haul finding something that works AND that the insurance would cover.

Everyone is different so a little experimentation might be necessary. See if the derm will give you samples. For my son, a combo of oral antibiotics and a rotation of creams has helped (adapalene, benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin). He has to change it up every 6 months or so, since stuff seems to stop working. His acne is better, but still not gone. But, it's milder now and not scarring.

We chose not to go with accutane as my son has some other medical issues. That is an option that works well for many people. It's got some rigid blood test requirements, especially for females, due to the pregnancy concern. Also - and as a Mom this may not be one you want to consider - but for girls, birth control pills can put an end to hormonal acne.

If going to a derm is not an option for you, try a product with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. There are many choices over the counter. Or, as you said, NCN may have something - perhaps even the Skin Bio Lacsal.

Good luck.
pinknika
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Arrggh I have been wanting to post to you since yesterday but since I am new, I ran out of posts lol.

Long time acne sufferer, probably since around 13, 2 rounds of accutane. Skin amazing clear after that only after a year it came back with a vengeance. Since accutane is not a permanent solution, I decided to try to help my skin both internally and out. I keep meaning to post my great results on acne dot org but I haven't yet.

There is a ton of great info on that site but to sum it up for me these are things I did to achieve clearer skin:

1. Acnefree homeopathic drops (found at vitamshoppe)
2. Avon Clear skin acne pads
3. DIET-avoiding sugar like the plague, taking multi-vitamin, b-complex, omega 3 fatty acids and alpha lipoic acid, vit c ester. I have to say that my diet is really influenced by Dr. Perricone.
4. Hormones, in me particular, I noticed that I have excess androgens, so possibly taking a supplement that helps with that is a plus. I take Saw palmetto but am switching to Turmeric which is anti-inflammatory not anti androgen but both of them are anti-coagulants and Omega 3's already thin the blood so I have noticed an increase in bleeding.

I have a done a lot of research with this so this is my remedy, I am 75% clear now which is pretty good. I also would like to recommend Neaclear skin care products, I use the cleanser, works pretty well. I think the whole regimen they have on their site combined, is really good according to other reviewers on other sites.

I wish you the best of luck, as an acne sufferer myself it definately is something you have to work hard to get rid of.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all your stories and helpful suggestions. I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to my post..and to help my daughter. Smile
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all your stories and helpful suggestions. I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to my post..and to help my daughter. Smile
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Want to wish you and your daughter good luck in this challenge! And, as someone else has pointed out, don't be afraid to bring in the "big guns" - Retin-A, Accutane, things like that, if the derm thinks they're needed. I know a lot of people are afraid of Accutane, but it was a miracle drug for me. I took it in my late 30s when my skin - which was never good - went haywire. Even my scalp was broken out Crying or Very sad .

I could've written Angus' post. The acne I had during my teenage years was something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Those were the years when a dermatologist would write an Rx for antibiotics, tell you to wash with Phisoderm cleanser and not eat chocolate, and that was about it; there was nothing else they could do. Of course, now we know that none of that works. I'm certain my teenage acne altered my personality, with repercussions to this day.
I cringe when I see a young person with acne; I know what they're going through.

There is so much "out there" now in the way of products and medicine to help with acne; it's all overwhelming. The forum here is full of people knowledgeable about skincare. And yes, Nanci at NCN would be a great help to you.

Best of luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Want to wish you and your daughter good luck in this challenge! And, as someone else has pointed out, don't be afraid to bring in the "big guns" - Retin-A, Accutane, things like that, if the derm thinks they're needed. I know a lot of people are afraid of Accutane, but it was a miracle drug for me. I took it in my late 30s when my skin - which was never good - went haywire. Even my scalp was broken out Crying or Very sad .

I could've written Angus' post. The acne I had during my teenage years was something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Those were the years when a dermatologist would write an Rx for antibiotics, tell you to wash with Phisoderm cleanser and not eat chocolate, and that was about it; there was nothing else they could do. Of course, now we know that none of that works. I'm certain my teenage acne altered my personality, with repercussions to this day.
I cringe when I see a young person with acne; I know what they're going through.

There is so much "out there" now in the way of products and medicine to help with acne; it's all overwhelming. The forum here is full of people knowledgeable about skincare. And yes, Nanci at NCN would be a great help to you.

Best of luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:58 am      Reply with quote
May be you can have a try with the A retin products which is very useful for the acne. You can buy these medicine from the doctor and he will tell you the details, and maybe need some medicine to eat if the acne is serious.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |