Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anybody using oral sunblock?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Recently I've been very interested in the use of various forms of sunblock for anti photo ageing.

I'm aware of 2 brands, Heliocare oral supplements as well as Life Extension advanced FernBlock that provides resistance against sun damage and hence the name oral sunblock.

Has anyone tried the use of oral sunblock supplements and if so, what brands are have you tried and how did it go for you?

Appreciate your comments on this!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking Heliocare for about 6 months now. I take the European formula which contains the fern extract as well as green tea and beta carotene. I take 1 every morning then if it's a sunny day and I'm going out and won't be able to stay in the shade I take a second just before leaving home.

They seem to work as I rarely apply sunscreen to my arms and they haven't picked up much colour over the summer at all (and I usually tan quite easily).

There's a third option that I'm aware of too, Sunpill: http://www.sunpill.com
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi Josh

Thanks so much! I never knew that Heliocare has got European vs other formulas.
I am doing a comparison across these 3 brands.
Seems like in order of cost effectiveness, most cost effective being:
1. Heliocare
2. Sunpill
3. Life extension Fernblock

I have just started on Fernblock and am wondering if they all work the same or do I just go for the cheapest option out.
Anyway correct me if I'm wrong, Heliocare seems to be the most established? (well, maybe cos i've only heard of Heliocare)

Any other users around here?
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
this sounds interesting - can it replace topical sunblock? Are there spf/ppa ratings?

It would make my life hella easier!

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I use heliocare in summer months in conjunction with topical sunscreen for extra protection. Also, I use Murad pomegranate supplement some days as well.

(I never use them as a substitute for topical sunscreens though, just as a bit of an extra helper, lol!) Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I use regular tomato paste, read it gives an spf of about 10. Have also read good things about a supplement called Imedeen.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 am      Reply with quote
Heliocare is thought to have an SPF of around 4. Keep in mind that it's systemic, so that means your whole body has a small amount of protection.

These supplements are not a replacement for sunscreen, they're an adjunct, used to help mop up the free-radicals caused by the UV rays that get through your sunscreen before they have a chance to damage your DNA. No sunscreen is perfect after all!

My daily multivitamin (AOR Ortho Core) also contains ingredients which may help. Namely green tea, beta-carotene, sulforaphane (from broccoli), pomegranate and lycopene.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
There was a study done that eating 4 tablespoons (or maybe it was 3)of tomato paste daily actually provided some protection against the sun.

I cant seem to find the particular study right now that I had read but if you google you will find some articles about it.

Although helpful, I don't think any oral food or supplement will ever replace sunscreen but every but helps Very Happy
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
There was a study done that eating 4 tablespoons (or maybe it was 3)of tomato paste daily actually provided some protection against the sun.

I cant seem to find the particular study right now that I had read but if you google you will find some articles about it.

Although helpful, I don't think any oral food or supplement will ever replace sunscreen but every but helps Very Happy

I tried eating the tomato paste this summer and I do think it helped. We spent two weeks in hot and sunny Croatia and I did not even get a little pink. Of course, I did wear sunscreen, but most years I do notice some color or burns in spots that I missed.

I was shooting for 4-5 Tb a day. Sometimes tough to choke it down, but with a little olive oil on a cracker or bread, it helps.

Plus it has other health benefits.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
you need to take into account everyone personal metabolism rate and how fast you actually digest the supplement. moreover, the vitamins and minerals you are consuming orally, may be taken by the body for its other needs other than skin protection needs so i would say you are actually jeopardizing your skin by not protecting it by either covering it with clothes/staying in shade AND applying sunblock.
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
and I didnt know (AGAIN!!!) that its an approximate of only spf4!!!

but well, since i dont use sunblock on my body, i guess its better than nothing.

I've read on the products' websites that the use of physical block is encouraged though.
BronxMyth

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Bleaching creams and whiteners will damage your skin as you become older and usually will end up effecting your self esteem in the long run.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 am      Reply with quote
I take the Sunpill only on days when I'm going to be working in my yard or outside for an extended period of time. Whether it's helping I can't say for sure, because I apply sunscreen and wear a hat and bandana around my neck. My arms are uncovered though except for sunscreen. I haven't had a sunburn at all this year since I followed this routine so something seems to be working.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |