Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry Shampoo - anyone using it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I have a friend working as a hairdresser, that told me about this product called "ref", that he started to sell now in the saloon.

I have never tried a dry shampoo before, thinks it sound a bit disgusting actually, not wash the hair for days.. I probably wash my hair to often, every other, third day or so. Hairdresser that I have asked, says that I should only wash it once a week.

Anyway, I got a bit curious about this dry spray, mainly because it will, Quote; Give you fantastic Volume, a really nice look and just smells so good.

I googled it and found nice reviews about just this ref shampoo, and I wounder if I have lived under a rock or something, never heard about this before.

Do you use dry shampoo?
And what brand/kind in that case.

Anyway, he promised me a bottle and I will definitely give it a try! Smile

http://www.referencehaircare.com/sida.php?categoryID=12&id=20

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I have used many differant brands and many prices, but my favorite is still Pssttt.
Easy to get from Walgreens, cheap and for me works as well as the Bumble and Bumble, Ojon, Oscar Blandi, and Klorane but without all of the strong smell. It has a powdery consistency and smell and lasts a while.
I use it every other day and wash in between.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I love Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo. It works really well. This one is a powder not a spray. I've tried sprays and most seem to contain alcohol, which I dont like to use on my hair.
pinknika
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I love dry shampoo. I like to wash my hair every other day or so, I know its oily but it gets even worse if I shampoo it everyday.

My favorites are Klorane and Batiste. Klorane to me is way expensive and Batiste is normally cheap and you can find it at Sallys.

One thing I can't stand though it seems like you need blonde hair to use these products, like there aren't any color choices. When my hair is its natural color, it kinda looks greyish if I spray the shampoo in. But it looks awesome when my hair is super blonde lol. I know I saw another dry shampoo brand at Ulta, it had ones for brunettes, blondes etc. Can't remember the name though!

I also want to try Cake satin sugar, they have ones for hair color too but its more of a powder than a spray. My sister also saw a commercial for a new dry shampoo by Tresemme but haven't seen it in stores yet.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
pinknika wrote:
I love dry shampoo. I like to wash my hair every other day or so, I know its oily but it gets even worse if I shampoo it everyday.

My favorites are Klorane and Batiste. Klorane to me is way expensive and Batiste is normally cheap and you can find it at Sallys.

One thing I can't stand though it seems like you need blonde hair to use these products, like there aren't any color choices. When my hair is its natural color, it kinda looks greyish if I spray the shampoo in. But it looks awesome when my hair is super blonde lol. I know I saw another dry shampoo brand at Ulta, it had ones for brunettes, blondes etc. Can't remember the name though!

I also want to try Cake satin sugar, they have ones for hair color too but its more of a powder than a spray. My sister also saw a commercial for a new dry shampoo by Tresemme but haven't seen it in stores yet.
Oh well pink, are you brushing it out thoroughly after a few minutes? I have mid brown hair and have used several of the dry shampoos and didn't get that greyish appearance.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Yes Van I'm a consistent user of the dry shampoos and it does sound grubby but its so convenient for me. I normally wash my hair every 4th day and its on the 3rd day when I use the dry shampoo. It refreshes your style, adds scent and absorbs the oil or appearance of unwashed hair especially if you concentrate around the hairline. Its fabulous and saves time. I have used the Tresemme and Batiste and Klorane and so far the Batiste is my favorite. Now I see Oscar Blandi has a line up of dry shampoos but have yet to try any of those.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I tried if after gave birth, as Chinese, we don't allow to wash hair for ONE month after giving birth. For me, dry shampoo (the powder one) is similar as baby powder.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using dry shampoos for quite a while now & i love them for my fringe. My fringe gets greasy quickly from the creams/oils i put on my forehead & the dry shampoo gives lovely volume to my fringe as well.
I have used Batiste, Klorane & Cedel. Cedel is awfully hard to brush out of the hair. I won't be repurchasing Cedel but Batiste & Klorane are both excellent.
Here in Australia Batiste have a variety to choose from, different fragrances & for different hair colours but i find despite being brunnette, the normal Batiste works fine. I don't see a real benefit from paying the extra money for the ones for brunettes/black hair.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 am      Reply with quote
pinknika wrote:

Ohh...I'm dark brunette.. And I definitely don't want my hair to look grayish or just matte. He didn't tell me anything about that.
What's the difference between the powder and the spray, I thought the spray one were the same thing, only a different application..

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
I tried if after gave birth, as Chinese, we don't allow to wash hair for ONE month after giving birth. For me, dry shampoo (the powder one) is similar as baby powder.

A curious question, why aren't a regular hair wash allowed until one month after birth?

Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 am      Reply with quote
CindiLou wrote:
I have been using dry shampoos for quite a while now & i love them for my fringe. My fringe gets greasy quickly from the creams/oils i put on my forehead & the dry shampoo gives lovely volume to my fringe as well.
I have used Batiste, Klorane & Cedel. Cedel is awfully hard to brush out of the hair. I won't be repurchasing Cedel but Batiste & Klorane are both excellent.
Here in Australia Batiste have a variety to choose from, different fragrances & for different hair colours but i find despite being brunnette, the normal Batiste works fine. I don't see a real benefit from paying the extra money for the ones for brunettes/black hair.

I will google it, but can you explain in short terms what I should focus on as a brunette, are there a difference in the formula, or are they all in powder form? Liquids?
Easier to have a spray version if I have long hair?

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I did try the Batiste from Sally's and it seemed to work as well as the Psst, but Walgreens is closer and the Psst is cheaper.
I have blond hair with grey roots so they all work perfectly. Some do come in several shades or light or dark hair, like the Bumble and Bumble. On my hair, you can't even see it unless I go overboard.
I just ordered the Cake Satin Sugar here from EDS. It smells good but was way too hard to get into my hair and a real mess while trying to. I will save it and use it as a body powder.
I prefer a spray by far, for the ease of use and control of where it goes.
I love dry shampoos and don't go without one!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh well pink, are you brushing it out thoroughly after a few minutes? I have mid brown hair and have used several of the dry shampoos and didn't get that greyish appearance.

SusieQ, I did brush it out pretty vigorously and still found a dry powder cast on my roots. My boss even pointed it out a while back, so I know it was visible lol.
pinknika
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ohh...I'm dark brunette.. And I definitely don't want my hair to look grayish or just matte. He didn't tell me anything about that.
What's the difference between the powder and the spray, I thought the spray one were the same thing, only a different application..

Vanilj, it's pretty much the same thing but only a different application. I prefer the spray because it seems to add more body and it's faster, the powder seems a little more time consuming but that specific brand I mentioned has color choices. I am going to find that one I saw at Ulta, I know it has ones for every shade. Okay I found it, but not on Ulta's site, it's called Salon Grafix Spray Powder Shampoo, For Brunette Shades. It is the exact same bottle i saw in Ulta, I can't post links yet but thats what it is. Haven't tried it but might be good for brunettes.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I also like to use dry shampoo, but my hair is black so it's very difficult to find a good one. I like powders instead of spray application because I find it less messy and easier to control how much to apply. But since Bumble has switched to the spray packaging, I've not been able to find a black powder formula. Does anyone know of any? Thanks so much!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried out a bunch of dry shampoos, and blogged about 'em here.

Darker-haired ladies might want to check out Cake's tinted formulation, although I warn you that the blondish one had like NO color added at all, so the one for brunettes might be similarly disappointing. Good news is Sephora has that decent return policy, so you can just take it back if it's totally pale tan instead of brunette.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Vanilj wrote:
critic wrote:

A curious question, why aren't a regular hair wash allowed until one month after birth?

Traditionally, we believe that women are very weak after giving birth and should not touch water at all. The grand grand parents told us not to wash hair, take a bath, even wash hands. Otherwise, our health will never recover and age faster.

If you take very good care of your body in that month, including eat a lot of ginger and chicken etc. Your health will even better than when you're teenager. The list is long, a lot things are restricted.

Nowaday, not many Chinese are willing to follow the strict rules.
arora

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
well, i am using angelfish dry shampoo. it works well on my lazy days, but the day after i use it, my hair gets even oilier which is not nice.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
The idea of dry shampoo doesn't appeal to me. My mom uses something (some kind of liquid) on her scalp that will stop the itching so she can go a week without washing her hair. It just doesn't seem right to me.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I use Pssst weekly, have not used anything else. Sally Hershberger, century hair stylist, says this brand is her dry shampoo pick.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I have a "dry" well waterless shampoo.
Apparently it is the same one astronauts use..or so the bottle says.

Got this as at a medical supply shop and it is a liquid you put on your hair and it foams and then you towel it iff and your hair is clean.

it is really useful if you are injured and can not get in a shower!
but your hair is wet after using it..so not really a "dry" shampoo.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:23 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
Vanilj wrote:
critic wrote:

Traditionally, we believe that women are very weak after giving birth and should not touch water at all. The grand grand parents told us not to wash hair, take a bath, even wash hands. Otherwise, our health will never recover and age faster.

If you take very good care of your body in that month, including eat a lot of ginger and chicken etc. Your health will even better than when you're teenager. The list is long, a lot things are restricted.

Just wondering are you allowed to drink water?
I think humans and all life needs to drink some water to survive??

Also if you do not wash or clean you hands you could be transfering baceteria that could make you or your baby sick no??

just wondering about this....
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
critic wrote:
Vanilj wrote:
critic wrote:

Also if you do not wash or clean you hands you could be transfering baceteria that could make you or your baby sick no??

We can drink warm / hot water, but the best is adding ginger in. I have heard Taiwan don’t allow to drink water, can only drink wine or soup.

I agree don’t wash hands is very silly, so I washed hands with warm water instead of running water.

We don't allow to go out for the first month.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:42 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
critic wrote:
Vanilj wrote:
critic wrote:

We can drink warm / hot water, but the best is adding ginger in. I have heard Taiwan don’t allow to drink water, can only drink wine or soup.

I agree don’t wash hands is very silly, so I washed hands with warm water instead of running water.

We don't allow to go out for the first month.

This is so interesting, I never heard about this before. I'm going to Japan this spring, and I'm so interested in the culture, the traditions in Asia overall, just in the medical areas. In Sweden I think we do just the opposite, water is good for you, to clean out the "dirt" in the body..

Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I bought one bottle this weekend at the supermarket, couldn't wait to try one out. The friend of mine that are giving me a bottle to try, are out of town. anyway, I bought one in spray form. Went home and tested it, I hadn't washed my hair in two days, so it would be perfect I thought.
Spraid it on, careful not to overdo it on top of the head, ran my fingers through it and waited, I didn't brushed my hair. Two hours later the scalp seems to tend to be a bit itchy, I don't know it it was the feeling of having something in my scalp, or if it actually itched more than normally.. Razz

I have pretty long hair, and I didn't feel any thickness to my roots, maybe I didn't sprayed enough on, or it might just be a crappy sort.

Anyway, I will give it a go again, I have ordered the one many of you recommended, Batiste.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |