Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Osmosis Pur Products & Philosophy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu - I don't know Dr. Johnson's products and have not checked out his harmonized water. But I will. FWIW: My opinion - Water that is being sold to target specific ailments is bunk and aimed at innocent people who are trying to find a cure and may be desperate to try things OR they have money to throw around at things that may or may not work. That said - I buy supplements that the jury is still out on but I personally think they are helping me.

All water is not equal but there is an endpoint in what it can and cannot do for a person's health. I wouldn't think of it as a specific healing mechanism (unless you're going to Lourdes or some similar place).

There is discussion on Secret gold thread about blessing one's water, etc and I wouldn't put faith in that either. Not that it isn't a pleasant thought and may create a placebo effect which is fine. I believe in a lot of unusual things and do not discount possibilities but one needs to be realistic too - it's a balance.

Back to Osmosis - I don't know the product line but it does interest me and that's why I'd like to know more about his philosophy, etc. Just like to learn.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Here are some more clinical studies on the anti-aging benefits of Salicylic Acid:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2010.00506.x/full

thanks for this. I am fiendish about using AHA's and salicylic - aspirin masks..., etc, etc. Not high concentration but 10% as in alpha hydrox and Skinbiology LacSal. It amazes me the variation in thought process between professionals regarding exfoliation. Nanci - NCN does not think exfoliation is helpful either. To me this is a worthwhile discussion point.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting as so many think exfoliation is beneficial to our skin. Smile

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2000_July_25/ai_63662476/

Face Facts: Debunking The AHA Myths; NeoStrata's Doctors Van Scott and Yu, Discoverers of Alpha Hydroxyacids, Address Issues of Benefits and Effects for Skin Care

MYTH: AHAs over-exfoliate the skin, leaving the skin vulnerable to environmental aggressors.
FACT: "Alpha Hydroxyacids work to normalize cell renewal," says Dr. Van Scott. He goes on to explain that AHAs do not exfoliate the skin in the conventional way that other chemical (i.e., salicylic acid) and mechanical (i.e., loofah) exfoliants affect the skin. While there is a brief period of surface exfoliation that may occur following initial use, AHAs affect the skin by normalizing cell turnover in the epidermis (the top layers of the skin), encouraging the formation of normal, healthy skin. This is a benefit that is unique to AHAs and is not found with other chemical or mechanical exfoliants which work by continuously removing the top layers of skin.
In addition, Drs. Van Scott and Yu urge consumers to use common sense to fully maximize the benefits of AHAs on their skin. For example, skin is always more susceptible to sun exposure after any type of cosmetic procedure (AHA application, laser treatment, micro-dermabrasion, etc.). As a result, a strict sun avoidance program and use of a well-formulated sunscreen are required until the skin has fully healed. It is also recommended that daytime use of AHA products be accompanied by daily SPF 15 sunscreen use.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8642081

RESULTS: Treatment with AHAs caused an approximate 25% increase in skin thickness. The epidermis was thicker and papillary dermal changes included increased thickness, increased acid mucopolysaccharides, improved quality of elastic fibers, and increased density of collagen. No inflammation was evident.

CONCLUSION: Treatment with AHAs produced significant reversal of epidermal and dermal markers of photoaging.

PMID: 8642081 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2006.00003.x/abstract

Keywords:
Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA);collagen I;photo-damaged skin;procollagen I;TUNEL
ABSTRACT
Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) agents, such as glycolic acid and lactic acid, have been used as therapeutic agents for more than a quarter of a century. Recently, they have been used as agents to rejuvenate photo-aged skin. It is believed that these AHA agents induce the epidermis to remodel and accelerate desquamation, thus exerting their therapeutic effects. In this study, we investigated the histological differences in skin treated with glycolic, lactic, citric and acetic acids once daily for 6 weeks. The melanin pigments in the basal layer were less prominent in the glycolic and lactic acid-treated skin than in the citric and acetic acid-treated skin. The melanin deposits in the horny layers were equal for all AHA. However, the melanin deposits in the squamous layers were less prominent in the glycolic and lactic acid-treated skins than in the citric and acetic acid-treated skins; this was analogous to observations of the basal layers. Collagen I and procollagen I were increased after treatment with glycolic, lactic and citric acid in the upper dermis, but were not increased with acetic acid treatment. However, the staining of the epidermis and dermis for matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) after treatment was not significantly different among the agents. Our data suggest that longer treatment intervals with glycolic and lactic acid can cause improvements in both the epidermal and dermal components and support the usefulness of AHA for rejuvenating photo-damaged skin.

http://www.eblue.org/article/S0190-9622(96)70002-6/abstract

Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
Volume 34, Issue 2 , Pages 187-195, February 1996
Effects of alpha-hydroxy acids on photoaged skin: a pilot clinical, histologic, and ultrastructural study [see comments]
CM Ditre, TD Griffin, GF Murphy, H Sueki, B Telegan, WC Johnson, RJ Yu, EJ Van Scott
Abstract
Abstract 
BACKGROUND: alpha-Hydroxy acids (AHAs) have been reported to improve aging skin. The mechanisms of action of AHAs on epidermal and dermal compartments need clarification. OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to determine the effects of AHAs on photoaged human skin by clinical and microanalytic means. METHODS: Patients applied a lotion containing 25% glycolic, lactic, or citric acid to one forearm and a placebo lotion to the opposite forearm for an average of 6 months. Thickness of forearm skin was measured throughout the study. Biopsy specimens from both forearms were processed for analysis at the end of the study. RESULTS: Treatment with AHAs caused an approximate 25% increase in skin thickness. The epidermis was thicker and papillary dermal changes included increased thickness, increased acid mucopolysaccharides, improved quality of elastic fibers, and increased density of collagen. No inflammation was evident. CONCLUSION: Treatment with AHAs produced significant reversal of epidermal and dermal markers of photoaging. (J Am Acad Dermatol 1996 Feb;34(2 Pt 1):187-95)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Nanci - NCN does not think exfoliation is helpful either. To me this is a worthwhile discussion point.

But I believe she used to think it was important and has since changed her opinion on it?

I know Obagi uses the AHA/PA pretty much just for exfoliation. Unless he has changed his mind from his book, he did not believe it held anti-aging properties. I am also fairly certain Dr. Fernandes doesn't believe it has antiaging properties either. I have an interesting PDF that I will try to post a link to in a bit.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if you will be able to open this or not, but it has information on AHA's in it, which I find interesting.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/cosmeceutical-agents-a-comprehensive-review-of-the-literature

ETA: This part in particular may interest some of you:

Long-term use of GA may improve skin texture
and provide a more youthful appearance. This can
be partially explained by its ability to induce
glycosaminoglycan and hyaluronic acid synthesis
in the dermis, leading to improved dermal hydration and thickness
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
Nanci - NCN does not think exfoliation is helpful either. To me this is a worthwhile discussion point.

But I believe she used to think it was important and has since changed her opinion on it?

Exactly - she did change her opinion and so stopped selling the exfoliating methods she no longer believes in. I would like to know where the opinion against is coming from - especially in light of the studies from Dermatological journals. Haven't checked but I assume Dr. Johnson is a derm or P.S

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know what type of doctor Dr. Johnson is, on all his sites I haven't seen mention of his specialty? I did see mention someplace that he is owner of a number of med-spas.
I do recall Keliu asking what his credentials are, and think the last time he was posting on the original Osmisis thread it was asked, it's never been answered?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

I know Obagi uses the AHA/PA pretty much just for exfoliation. Unless he has changed his mind from his book, he did not believe it held anti-aging properties. I am also fairly certain Dr. Fernandes doesn't believe it has antiaging properties either. I have an interesting PDF that I will try to post a link to in a bit.

OK, Not bashing Nancy or disagreeing about her change of heart/opinion however she is still selling 3 exfoliates? Pumpkin Peel, Microfiber cloth and a 15% daily exfoliate?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a quote from Nanci's site:

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/

Copper Peptide plus Exfoliation works better than anything else for age reversal - guaranteed! If you're tired of spending money on products that don't work, you've come to the right place because we offer the best age reversal skin care products available without a prescription! Our products are based on cell renewal through exfoliation. Learn why exfoliation is KEY in anti-aging skin care.We're proud to offer the Dr. Loren Pickart patented age reversal skin care with Copper Peptide - the strongest Copper Peptide available! We also offer our own line of professional anti-aging skin care products including our 30% Glycolic, Lactic, Salicylic & Fruit Acid Professional Pumpkin Peel , our incredible Microfiber Facial Cloth, All Natural SPF30 in 3 skin specific formulas, All-Trans Retinol 1.0% & 2.0%, 20% Matrixyl 3000 Serum, Botox Alternative SPF30 that's loaded with anti-oxidants, age defying Mineral Makeup, the very best in home therapy skin rejuvenating tools and so much more.....

She also sells the Timpepeel Microdermabrasion machine. Doesn't look like she's anti exfoliation to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All! I was just wondering if anyone is planning to try the new Osmosis Stem Cell product? I'm intrigued.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Hi All! I was just wondering if anyone is planning to try the new Osmosis Stem Cell product? I'm intrigued.

I probably will, I order eveything else so I don't see why this product would be any different. Wink

I just received an email from Jo Ella saying she now has it in stock. I would order it from EDS if they carried the Osmosis line.

http://www.karinherzog-jmilan.com/Osmosis-What-is-Dr-Johnson-Using_c_141.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
I probably will, I order eveything else so I don't see why this product would be any different. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Love it. Off to check Osmosis hehehe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
jom wrote:

I just received an email from Jo Ella saying she now has it in stock. I would order it from EDS if they carried the Osmosis line.

http://www.karinherzog-jmilan.com/Osmosis-What-is-Dr-Johnson-Using_c_141.html

Laughing Thanks Frodo, it probably goes without saying, but please post your first impressions and results.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto please Frodo, brave Frodo! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Frodo wrote:

But are you going to take the 8 harmonized waters as well?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Nanci is in business so is not going to rid herself of products that sell - however she did discontinue all of her exfoliating products from Skin Biology - maybe it was to bring in her own but at the time she said she was not believing in exfoliation as she once did. Plus, she herself has said she only uses her pumpkin peel once per month and she was bringing on alternatives to AHA's etc.

I think if harmonizing waters bring harmony, I'm all for it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
It will be a couple of weeks before I order. Need to wait for my CC to cycle, had too many "gotta haves". I am fortunate to have a "play budget" but I spent way too much time in the sand box this month. Ageless secret gold/stemulation. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
foxe wrote:
Frodo wrote:

But are you going to take the 8 harmonized waters as well?

I think I will get out a few tuning forks, my dermawand and pray over the water to harmonize it myself, at least it's super cheap! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
It will be a couple of weeks before I order. Need to wait for my CC to cycle, had too many "gotta haves". I am fortunate to have a "play budget" but I spent way too much time in the sand box this month. Ageless secret gold/stemulation. Wink

If you are buying the stem cell from Stemulation and Osmosis, how are you going to know which is doing what Frodo? Half face with each? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I think I will get out a few tuning forks, my dermawand and pray over the water to harmonize it myself, at least it's super cheap! Bad Grin

The only method I know of for harmonizing water is to add Scotch to it! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

The only method I know of for harmonizing water is to add Scotch to it! Laughing

LMAO I'll take mine with a shot of Vodka please!

Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Frodo wrote:

If you are buying the stem cell from Stemulation and Osmosis, how are you going to know which is doing what Frodo? Half face with each? Smile

I don't plan on starting Osmosis until I hit the one month trial period with them. It's been two weeks and haven't had issues with breakouts but I also haven't seen any changes either. Very discouraging but I am aware I need to give these 2 products more time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:03 am      Reply with quote
That makes sense Frodo, I didn't realize you had started the Stemulation already. I hope one or the other shows good results for you! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo, are you going to try the Boost, Renew, or Correct at all too or just the Stem Factor? I'm not allowed to order anything for awhile but Osmosis prices are pretty reasonable. Smile

Speaking of AHA's, can anyone recommend a hand cream that has that in it? Asking because I wouldn't mind trying to see if I can add thickness to my hands (as in not having them look older than the rest of me).
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |