Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate vs. L-ascorbic acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sabastianc65

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I currently do use l-ascorbic acid, but I did do a little bit of research and apparently magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is one of the vitamin C derivatives people are using instead of or even in conjunction with l-ascorbyl phosphate.

The benefits of M.A.P. have been that apparently it is more stable than l-ascorbyl phosphate and there is less issue of sensitivity for people who are sensitive.

I don't know if these claims are supported by every source or not. I just did a little bit of research. I did get the impression that people often preferred to use "l-ascrobyl phosphate" just because of its name and its an ingredient they've been most comfortable with so there's no reason for them to change.

I would love to hear what people here have to say about these two ingredients... Does
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate have disadvantages? Is l-ascorbic acid better than
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate?

Thanks!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
L-Ascorbic Acid is King!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ramses
5% products discount

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
i would go for l-ascorbic acid, but the low PH may be problematic for some people with sensitive skin, in that case magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate would be an alternative choice.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
I really prefer THDA over MAP where C derivatives are concerned, I find it much more stable and effective. Smile

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate-BV-OSC.html

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is a very stable, oil-soluble Vitamin C ester which has anti-oxidant activity, inhibiting lipid peroxidation. Topical use can mitigate the damaging effects of UV exposure. Studies have shown it to stimulate collagen production as well as clarifying and brightening the skin by inhibiting melanogenesis (the production of pigment) thereby promoting a more even skin tone. Unlike ascorbic acid, it will not exfoliate or irritate skin.

Typical Usage: .5-2%, up to 7%
Appearance: Clear to pale yellow viscous liquid
Storage: Store in a cool dry place, avoid freezing
Solubility: Oil Soluble

INCI: Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate

Caution: Do not directly apply onto your skin.
This product should be added to a formulation at the recommended usage rate.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:58 am      Reply with quote
I prefer the C derivatives over l-ascorbic acid. I have sensitive skin and using l-ascorbic acid really burns. For some reason it also gives me large, painful, cystic-type bumps with days of using it, whether it be a commercial product or simple home-made l-ascorbic acid + water.

Even if I could use l-ascorbic acid I probably wouldn't because of the stability issues. Many serums based on it have begun to oxidise by the time the consumer gets them and oxidised ascorbic acid is a pro-oxidant.

Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is one of the most studied derivatives and certainly seems to offer most of the benefits of l-ascorbic acid, with substantially increased stability. Other derivatives are no doubt beneficial too, just not as well studied.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I use both LAA and THDA - I just alternate.
My skin is also a bit sensitive to LAA and I can not use it everyday. I mix the THDA with some oils for a really nice p.m serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
My skin is also a bit sensitive to LAA and I can not use it everyday. I mix the THDA with some oils for a really nice p.m serum.

I am not sensitive to LAA (or anything) but I use LAA and THDA daily one am and one pm! Smile Just covering all the bases.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
erg wrote:

I am not sensitive to LAA (or anything) but I use LAA and THDA daily one am and one pm! Smile Just covering all the bases.

Dark Moon:

Do you make your own? Or Purchase? I am a few days out of my Obagi 10% and am looking at making my own or buying it cheaper. Thanks!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
InSweetTime,

I do make my own, it's so simple and sooooo much less expensive! Laughing

5% products discount

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Dark Moon:

Awesome. Where can I find the recipe? Do you know one with phloretin like skinceuticals cf phlorentin?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
InSweetTime wrote:
Dark Moon:

Awesome. Where can I find the recipe? Do you know one with phloretin like skinceuticals cf phlorentin?

InSweetTime,

I think Kassy has one with phloretin in it, I don't use it myself. I have a THDA recipe I posted in the recipe index that is where you will find the recipes that have been posted on the forum, just scroll down to the C recipes! Smile
Here's the link Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |