Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin lightening caused by vitamin C serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
xandria
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2015 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I am African-American and my skin color is tan. I have noticed when using vitamin C serum my skin looks bleached. I don't have a desire to change my skin color in fact it bothers me that it has bleached my skin.

Has anyone else experienced this effect? I want to be able to continue to use the serum for the anti-aging benefit. But I will probably have to discontinue using this product. I used the Timeless vitamin C serum.

Late 40's, Currently using AALS, Violet Ray 12/2010. Skincare products; Derma-e peptides plus & hyalorinic acid night cream, Origins; Antioxidant moisturizer with White Tea & Antioxidant cleanser with White Tea. Skin Laboratory Glycolic, Lactic & Salicylic acids. Recently started using 12/2010 Skin Biology's CP serum & TTT.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
My skin became lighter from using vit. C serum but I have continued to use it anyways. I actually use a self tanner on my face a couple of times a week to give me some color.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure that there's any other way to reap the benefits of anti aging topicals than to accept a certain paleness as inevitable.
Vit C promotes collagen formation and mitigates the effects of free radicals thus promoting cell turnover,...and it's an antioxidant that helps protect from the sun and fades dark spots.

I'm not African-American but I use to love the sun because I looked much more attractive with a tan. But now with using Retin_A increasing cell turnover along with things like Vit C, AHA and other antioxidants and exfoliants (along with sun screen) I am much paler than I'd really wish to be.
But I don't see there's any other choice if one wants to reap the benefits of most anti-aging topicals (and use sun screen). I believe all anti aging choices make us paler by the nature of how they work.
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2015 4:35 am      Reply with quote
tigerlily: would vit C serum help remove age spot?
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2015 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Lin1313 wrote:
tigerlily: would vit C serum help remove age spot?

I had some age spots appear on my hands quite early on because I neglected my hands and always forgot sunscreen there.
I've only been working on them for a few months but I think the combo of Vit c, Retin-A and dermarolling (and a occasional peel) is responsible for significantly fading them.
I do expect them to pretty much fade away with a little more time.
I think many things need to work together to give the best results.
lookwithin
5% products discount

Fri May 29, 2015 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't describe vit C as bleaching at all. It helps undo some damage so that's likely what you are seeing. Compare your skin that hasn't been much to the sun to your face, the vit C is just helping undo the effects from the sun.

If you don't want such a brightening effect, I'd try a vit C serum with a lower amount of LAA than Timeless uses which is 20%.
xandria
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Well I'm reporting back on my results. I haven't used the vitamin c serum for several months and the normal shade of my skin had returned. I decided to try this again and sure enough the color of my skin has turned pale again. The normal shade of my skin is tan. I'm not happy with this because I want to be able to use a vitamin c serum without the effects of brightening my skin.

Late 40's, Currently using AALS, Violet Ray 12/2010. Skincare products; Derma-e peptides plus & hyalorinic acid night cream, Origins; Antioxidant moisturizer with White Tea & Antioxidant cleanser with White Tea. Skin Laboratory Glycolic, Lactic & Salicylic acids. Recently started using 12/2010 Skin Biology's CP serum & TTT.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |