Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retinol for under eyes lines/crow's feet?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mirar07
5% products discount

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have problems with fine lines around and under my eyes and everything i've used makes it worse. I just bought Afirm 1X (.15% retinol) and read reviews on dermstore where people rave about lessening of crow's feet and lines around the eyes. I've used retinol before but not around my eyes. Would it be ok to try it a couple of times a week? Has anyone had success lessening fine lines with a retinol product? Thanks for your help!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I think its fine but It may cause some dryness and peeling and wrinkles may look worse because of the dryness, before they get better!
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I have tried Retin-A 0.05%, applied directly under eyes for a few months but it did not work.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:26 am      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
I think its fine but It may cause some dryness and peeling and wrinkles may look worse because of the dryness, before they get better!

I agree. You can always use a moisturizing eye cream on top if the dryness/peeling gets too bad. Just wait at least 1 hour after applying the Afirm.
rocruru
5% products discount

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Afirm 1X for a couple of weeks every other night. I have not experienced any redness, peeling, break outs, or any other side effect, but I have not seen any improvements in my skin. It looks the same as when I started.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:54 am      Reply with quote
rocruru, you will not have improvement in just a couple of weeks. First of all, you are using Afirm, which is a retinol cream. With the strongest retinoid out there, Retin A, improvement can take up to 1 year of nightly use. I would assume with a lesser strength, using it every other night, you will have to wait even longer than 1 year!
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 am      Reply with quote
I've experienced wonderful results from using Renova .05% under my eyes. My undereye crepeiness is gone and my fine lines are greatly reduced. No other product has improved my eye area as much as a Retin-A product. It took about 6 months to start seeing results. I apply the same product I use on my face under my eyes every other night. I did have some dryness and peeling for the first 2 months but once the area got used to the Renova I've had no issues at all. I am amazed at the improvement. I will continue to use Renova around my eyes (not on my lids of course) for as long as I can. I'm hoping it will help prevent future issues as I continue to age. I don't use eye creams that often but I do apply either my regular face moisturizer or an eye cream about 10 to 20 minutes after I apply the Renova. If your undereye is more sensitive start with a retinol product and go slow in the beginning.
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 am      Reply with quote
What is Renova? I have Tazorac. Will that suffice?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Renova is basically the same as Retin-A but it's formulated with a more moisturizing cream base than Retin-A. That's why I like it for my skin, especially around my eyes. Tazorac is similar. Just make sure you start slow. It might help in the beginning if you are going to use under your eyes if you buffer the Taz by either mixing it with a little bit of moisturizer or applying it after a moisturizer. It all depends on your skin. Now, I wait 10 to 20 minutes after applying the Renova and then use an eye cream or just my regular moisturizer for my face. I personally don't think eye creams can change your skin. All they really do is plump the area and keep it moisturized. Renova really changes your skin. I would start with 2 times a week to see how your skin takes it and if thats OK you can start applying every other night. I don't know what percentage your Taz is. Remember when using any Trention product, it will take time to see results. Some people can't use this type of product around their eyes but if you start slow and build up your use, you will be very pleased at what you see in 6 months to a year. Some see results sooner. On top of helping to repair your eye area it will also help prevent future aging. My eye area was a bit dry and it did peel a little in the beginning but after a few months when my skin got used to it I was fine. I didn't see much improvement, like I said, until 5 to 6 months later, but boy what a difference. I will continue to use Renova full face my entire life. I am a skincare junkie and I've tried alot of different products but nothing has done more for my skin than Retin-A/Renova.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I completely agree!!! Being a product junkie I am always looking for new products. But it just honestly and truely doesn't make sense for me to use anything else at night, when Retin A is cheap, effective, and I can tolerate it. If you can't tolerate it, then by all means explore other options. But I agree that the first few months can be rough as you skin adjusts to it. It can get worse before it gets better. But if you understand the science behind a wrinkle, you will know not to worry. The lines you see are just initial dryness, not actual deterioration of the collagen/elastin.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
I have tried Retin-A 0.05%, applied directly under eyes for a few months but it did not work.

It takes several months to notice a difference. It does work but its not fast working. And the area often looks worse before it gets better.
mirar07
5% products discount

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies ladies! your discussion has been really enlightening. I'm using retinol because my skin is a bit fragile right now and I wanted to be safe and work my way up to retin-a. The skin around my eyes seems to be especially fragile, i get more fine lines just by putting oils or even putting sunscreen on. Do you think it would be best to just continue with retinol or is retin-a(i'd try renova!) what i really need? I'm really tempted to try it after reading about your experience keli13!
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
If you are having no problems with a retinol product under your eyes the next step up would be Renova .025% or Retin-A. That's what I started with. I used it twice a week at first with an eye cream or moisturizer on top. Wait to apply the moisturizer or eye cream for at least 10 to 20 minutes to make sure the Renova absorbs. You can use the Renova full face if you want to. Thats what I do. Anyway, once your comfortable with the twice a week application start adding another night. I've been doing this for almost 2 years now around my eyes and I am now using the .050% strength Renova every other night full face. I could use the .025% every night but for me, I like giving my under eye area a break every other night. On the nights I don't apply Renova .050% I just use my regular skincare. I don't know if your planning on getting your Renova from your doctor or dermatologist but I get mine form the new Medsmex website. I know there's been controversy on this board about Medsmex but I've been buying from them for over 5 years and I've never had an issue. I know the owners daughter Debbie and they are a reputable site. They recently had problems with hackers on their old website but the security has been updated and they started a whole new more secure site just for skincare. If your concerned about using your creditcard you can use a money order. I always use the $10.00 registered mail option for shipping, not the express one for $24.00. I have no issues using my creditcard but if you do, there are options, or else just get the Renova from your doctor. If you get Renova from your doctor you will only be able to get the .020%. which is fine, especially if your starting out around your eyes. They don't sell any higher percentages of Renova in the US anymore, only Retin-A. That's why I use medsmex for the .050% Renova. This is the product I started with on my face and under my eyes in the link below. They don't have a picture up yet but it's just a regular 30 gram tube of generic Renova called Retacnyl .025% for $11.75.

http://www.mdmexskincare.com/store/product.php?productid=76&cat=18&page=1

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Remember, it will take time to see results. It took your eye area years to age and to get to the way it looks now. 6 months to a year is not a long time to wait for Renova to repair it and help prevent further aging.
briszrom

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Hey all, I have been using the MD Forte Retinol Eye Cream/TNS Eye Repair regime for over a year and I love it!!! But I just went to reorder and it seems like the MD Forte Eye Cream is being discontinued--they offer a replacement, but from what I can see the replacement (Vivite) has no retinol in it!!! Does anyone know of a good replacement? I have heard about Affirm...any other options?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |