Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Milia, wrinkles and glycolic acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sarsnake
5% products discount

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, so I have a milia problem. I bought Reviva Labs 10% glycolic acid night cream, and have used it 3 times, every other day.

My skin is not sensitive - I can barely feel the tingle. But anyway, the milia is still there, but I also noticed that I have started breaking out and got a prominent wrinkle on my cheek.....what gives?

I have dry/combination skin, never had an acne issue.

I am a little confused how a product recommended to renew the skin can cause wrinkles? Can glycolic acid really do that?
sarsnake
5% products discount

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 am      Reply with quote
I am a little discouraged by a complete lack of answers/suggestions to this...I guess these forums are just dead?
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I would guess that using glycolic acid 3 times a day is irritating your skin which is why you are developing wrinkles. Using it once a day should be plenty. As for the milia, see a dermatologist or a cosmetologist and have them removed properly. You'll end up with scarring if you try to remove them yourself. Thirdly, some people find their skin responds better to saliclyc acid rather than glycolic acid. This is used in a lot of acne products as it tends to dissolve oil and clear out pores better than glycolic acid which is mainly used to remove flaking skin and treat wrinkles by irritating the skin to produce more collagen.

As for the forum being dead, I'd say it's far from it. The next time you're not getting a response from the question try bumping it to make it current and see if that works.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:36 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
As for the milia, see a dermatologist or a cosmetologist and have them removed properly. You'll end up with scarring if you try to remove them yourself.

I remove them myself with no problem. My dermatologist's advice was to keep picking at them! That irritates them so sometimes they eventually come off. Otherwise, I dip a needle in alcohol and poke it to irritate it. The irritation brings it to the surface and it falls off.

However, I rarely have had milia since using LacSal by skinbiology.com, coupled with their copper peptides.
sarsnake
5% products discount

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
I would guess that using glycolic acid 3 times a day is irritating your skin which is why you are developing wrinkles. Using it once a day should be plenty. As for the milia, see a dermatologist or a cosmetologist and have them removed properly. You'll end up with scarring if you try to remove them yourself. Thirdly, some people find their skin responds better to saliclyc acid rather than glycolic acid. This is used in a lot of acne products as it tends to dissolve oil and clear out pores better than glycolic acid which is mainly used to remove flaking skin and treat wrinkles by irritating the skin to produce more collagen.

As for the forum being dead, I'd say it's far from it. The next time you're not getting a response from the question try bumping it to make it current and see if that works.

I used it 3 times, every other day, not three times a day lol. In retrospect, my mistake was that I put it on after exfoliating my face....I eliminated the wrinkle with putting jojoba oil on my skin for a week, whew! I do use the cream 2-3 times a week with jojoba oil on top of it. So far, 2 milia came out. My derm will remove it, but it costs a fortune at 75CAD per milia...so I decided to try other methods first. No spas here in Vancouver will do that (removal of milia with needle), all of them recommend all kinds of procedures (peel, microdermabrasion etc), but all I need is someone just extracting the buggers out!

I had a glycolic peel back in October, didn't do much at all. In fact, I have never had a wow-facial, and I have been to some swanky spas...my skin is pretty good as is, aside from milia, but it seems to be genetic as my mom has some too.
sarsnake
5% products discount

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
does it hurt to poke the milia? What needles do you use? medical lancets?
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I got the Easy-Eye Solutions undereye cream and eye cream, sold by NCN skin care to improve the dark skin under my eyes and help with bags. The results for this were very good (see the thread on it), but what was an added marvel was they got rid of 4 milia that I had had for at least 4 years and no pain. One day they were just gone!
While Easy-Eye makes no claims about milia, it worked for me and I can recommend it most highly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
sarsnake wrote:
does it hurt to poke the milia? What needles do you use? medical lancets?

Sewing needle. Just dip it in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to sterilize and swab the spot before and after with the same solution. Milia are hard to hold still so you just have to carefully poke around on all sides. If it doesn't come out immediately, it will be irritated enough to pop out in a few days.

I've learned over the years to watch what my doctors do and try to duplicate it if possible. For example, when my dermatologist just snipped off skin tags with scissors, I did the same. It only hurts as much as plucking a hair.
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have also removed my own milia... I used a syringe needle from when I used to work in a doctor's office.

Milia are not hard to remove, especially if you have any rubber fingertips available (like mini condoms for your fingers, lol). Or even just using Kleenex on both fingers... Getting a good grip is the key.

It's kind of fun to pop them out actually. Then again, I used to wax myself and lived to tell the tale. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
It's really not recommended to remove your own milia. It's easy to damage them, and usually when you can't remove it, you just keep trying and trying and you just keep making it worse. You should consider a stronger glycolic acid strength
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
It's really not recommended to remove your own milia.

Reminds of years ago my dentist telling me it was 'dangerous' to bleach my own teeth. He charged hundreds of dollars. Somehow I wasn't worried when Crest Whitestrips were invented. Laughing
sarsnake
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
It's really not recommended to remove your own milia. It's easy to damage them, and usually when you can't remove it, you just keep trying and trying and you just keep making it worse. You should consider a stronger glycolic acid strength

I am not sure I like its effect on my face so far. I am using Reviva Labs 10% glycolic acid cream, twice a week, and I put jojoba oil on top to minimize the burn(it says to do that on the package), my skin has actually become dryer since then, none of that plump youthfulness they promise from glycolic acid....

I am thinking to visit my derm after all.
I used to use Aubrey Organics rose mosquita mosturizer for years and my skin was great,(my skin is on the dry side), until one day I noticed that darn milia bump that didn't go away for months...I switched my mosturizer to derma e hyaluronic acid day creme and seems like I am getting more milia.Agh. I am not sure what is causing it. I am more interested what keeps it at bay rather how to remove it. I am not objected to paying to have it removed, I just don't want it to come back.
sarsnake
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
It's really not recommended to remove your own milia.

Reminds of years ago my dentist telling me it was 'dangerous' to bleach my own teeth. He charged hundreds of dollars. Somehow I wasn't worried when Crest Whitestrips were invented. Laughing

Tried the strips, waste of money. Didn't actually do anything, of course this was years ago,lol. I had to buy bleach from my dentist to bleach my teeth, and that bleach actually worked.
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

I can see your point - one needs to know when to stop trying if the milia is just not coming out. That said, it's not exactly a surgical type procedure by any stretch. I've only heard of glycolic as being a preventative rather than as a cure.

Milia need to come out physically (rather than chemically) - at least that was what I was taught in school.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I also suffer from milia on my forehead. Despite trying different topical products, glycolic acid , Retin A and microdermabrasion and having a beauty therapist physically removing them, they still persist! Recently I started using acne strength products and these have helped, saliclyc acid and benzoyl peroxide, in particular protactiv #3 repair lotion has oddly enough made a difference! They are very stubborn and difficult to remove both physically and through use of products. So I was surprise that the protactiv product is working for me.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, my point was that if you've tried removing them before and you were successful, then by all means go for it. But if you were never able to get one out and leaving your face unharmed, you should probably avoid doing anything else to them because 1. it may not even be milia if you're having such a hard time removing them and 2. you're just harming your skin and irritating it even further
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:29 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

I would have to agree with oasisjc about removal. It is not that it can't be done. But rather it is too easy to keep picking/trying to remove, etc. and could possibly do damage.

I won't own a blackhead remover for the same reasoning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
I also suffer from milia on my forehead. Despite trying different topical products, glycolic acid , Retin A and microdermabrasion and having a beauty therapist physically removing them, they still persist! Recently I started using acne strength products and these have helped, saliclyc acid and benzoyl peroxide, in particular protactiv #3 repair lotion has oddly enough made a difference! They are very stubborn and difficult to remove both physically and through use of products. So I was surprise that the protactiv product is working for me.

The Proactive toner (repair lotion) has glycolic acid. If this is working, you should continue with it and or products that contain AHA. (glycolic and or lactic acids)

MUA has good reviews on the toner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 am      Reply with quote
sarsnake wrote:
Ok, so I have a milia problem. I bought Reviva Labs 10% glycolic acid night cream, and have used it 3 times, every other day.

My skin is not sensitive - I can barely feel the tingle. But anyway, the milia is still there, but I also noticed that I have started breaking out and got a prominent wrinkle on my cheek.....what gives?

I have dry/combination skin, never had an acne issue.

I am a little confused how a product recommended to renew the skin can cause wrinkles? Can glycolic acid really do that?

I have not used the product you are currently using. I have used various products with AHA.

The best eye treatment with AHA is MD Forte. If you look at the reviews on makeupalley.com; you will see varied results.

1)It did remove milia for some people
2) It does cause dryness (and wrinkles appear more obvious)
3) it is an eye TREATMENT. This does not moisturize. I used a moisturizing cream over it later. I would suggest an oil such as emu or squalane.
4) you cannot buy this and use it every night AT FIRST. You need to ease into it.

It is approximately $50.00. I did see results from it when I was using it and I did not use every night.

I have Neostrata now and like it. The MD Forte is more effective.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
I have not used the product you are currently using. I have used various products with AHA.

The best eye treatment with AHA is MD Forte. If you look at the reviews on makeupalley.com; you will see varied results.

1)It did remove milia for some people
2) It does cause dryness (and wrinkles appear more obvious)
3) it is an eye TREATMENT. This does not moisturize. I used a moisturizing cream over it later. I would suggest an oil such as emu or squalane.
4) you cannot buy this and use it every night AT FIRST. You need to ease into it.

It is approximately $50.00. I did see results from it when I was using it and I did not use every night.

I have Neostrata now and like it. The MD Forte is more effective.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Reviva Labs glycolic acid cream I am currently using has 10% of glycolic acid. What's the MD Forte's %? The paradox of these products is that they do dry the skin out and cause wrinkles. I already have dry skin and I am not sure I want to make it worse.

What I have done over the weekend is go to Whole Foods and got myself 100& pure Rose-Hip oil. I have eliminated ALL moisturizers, except jojoba oil. My new routine will be jojoba oil in the morning and rosehip oil at night with a weekly scrub/mask. I may keep on using the glycolic acid as well - I haven't decided yet - it does make my skin dryer and thinner, not plumper and more youthful.

I must says that Derma-e hyaluronic moisturizer I have been used for 2 months has made my milia problem worse, but since my skin is dry I need to moisturize it. I would rather stick with 1 ingredient for now which is why i decided to use oils. They don't make me break out, so I will give it a go and see if this makes the problem worse. If no new milia appear I will go to the derm, remove the existing milia and keep on with oils. What I am interested in is eliminating the CAUSE of milia. I have never had any problems with my skin (never had acne, not even in my teens) and I would rather find what's causing it.

Needless to say, I would rather not use the majority of products available because they contain parabens, petroleum derived compounds, and other nasty substances.
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Some people say milia is related to diet - try to remember if you changed anything around the time they started appearing.

People have had success cutting out dairy, especially. Even though there is controversy around how milia can be prevented, it doesn't hurt to experiement.

It really depends on how badly you want to get rid on them!

A diet high in fat is another often cited culprit - or just the inability to actually process one's intake of fat. Digestive enzymes are a huge benefit in that department (check out your local health food store). I've worked in esthetics and naturopathy so have been exposed to some interesting conditions and their treatments. Any problem with the skin is related to issues with elimination in general. The skin can show us where we need to purify and get back into balance.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Luminosity wrote:
Some people say milia is related to diet - try to remember if you changed anything around the time they started appearing.

People have had success cutting out dairy, especially. Even though there is controversy around how milia can be prevented, it doesn't hurt to experiement.

It really depends on how badly you want to get rid on them!

A diet high in fat is another often cited culprit - or just the inability to actually process one's intake of fat. Digestive enzymes are a huge benefit in that department (check out your local health food store). I've worked in esthetics and naturopathy so have been exposed to some interesting conditions and their treatments. Any problem with the skin is related to issues with elimination in general. The skin can show us where we need to purify and get back into balance.

I do believe that also. Anything we put in our bodies affects our well-being: skin included.

I have had one milia on my upper cheek for years actually, I started noticing them more, but it may be because I stare at the magnifying mirror more, lol:) I think I have always had milia and sun damage after spending 5 years in a desert country.

My diet is very healthy, I don't eat a lot of dairy, occasional hard cheese and I actually cut that out a month ago. No red meat, I do eat good fat: essential omega stuff, in fish and nuts. I don't drink nearly as much water as I should though. Hardly any sweets aside from dark chocolate. No processed hydrogenated fats at all. Veggie/fruit etc. I can't really think of making my diet more healthy...I am trying to drink more water though. As far as carbs go, I am a carb junkie, but stick to healthy ones: such as spelt, buckwheat, rye and quinoa...
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Have you been using a moisturizing enough moisturizer? Some milia can be caused by dryness of the skin
sarsnake
5% products discount

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
First victory! I poked at milia 2 days ago with the sterilized lancet, and unsuccessfully. one of the bumps has been there for close to 10 years:) anyways, last night I took a hot shower and after that I gently squeezed them out. i still have some small ones left, but the majority are out! very happy!

I can't attribute it to any product though - I am afraid the solution is to physically extract them.
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
sarsnake wrote:
First victory! I poked at milia 2 days ago with the sterilized lancet, and unsuccessfully. one of the bumps has been there for close to 10 years:) anyways, last night I took a hot shower and after that I gently squeezed them out. i still have some small ones left, but the majority are out! very happy!

I can't attribute it to any product though - I am afraid the solution is to physically extract them.

Congratulations!! Like you said, physically extracting them was the only way I could remove my own.

And please keep in mind those digestive enzymes! If your body is struggling in any way to absorb fats, they will help immensely. I've seen people have real turnarounds from adding them to their diet.

One thing I learned was that the older we get, the weaker our HCL acid is... that's the acid in our stomachs. It gets harder for our bodies to metabolize things. Any help we can give the process is valuable!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |