Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What do you do about the retin A peeling?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
scjudyb
5% products discount

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I'm new and have looked at a few of these posts, thanks for the tips. I started using a retin a compound along with bleaching cream for hyperpigmentation after a laser. Now I have started peeling, mostly around the mouth. I think it's a good thing, but looks gross under makeup, which I have to wear due to the brown splotchiness! Catch 22! What does everyone recommend for the peeling? I'm using cetaphil cleanser, have aquaphor, and good moisturizers. Thanks!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Other than time for your skin to adjust to the Retin A, there isn't much else you can do. You could add a very gentle exfoliant in the morning, which can help you make it through a large part of the day. Otherwise, you have it covered with moisturizer and Aquaphor!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Yes, the peeling can be a pain - but just think of it as saying goodbye to your old skin and hello to the new! The peeling should stop as your skin adjusts. A microfiber cloth can help (but don't rub too hard).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:41 am      Reply with quote
yes, peeling is something that you just have to go through. But when I see the signs of peeling, I stop applying Retin A during those days, just to let it heal, because if you continue it will create deeper peeling and even irritated skin. So I apply Retin A up to the stage when it starts working on removing the dead layer, and then give it a rest of for couple of days, and then again. So the peeling then is very gentle, but is still very effective for rejuvenation.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
yes, peeling is something that you just have to go through. But when I see the signs of peeling, I stop applying Retin A during those days, just to let it heal, because if you continue it will create deeper peeling and even irritated skin. So I apply Retin A up to the stage when it starts working on removing the dead layer, and then give it a rest of for couple of days, and then again. So the peeling then is very gentle, but is still very effective for rejuvenation.

ella-stella, what percentage of Retin A are you using and how often?

I don't really understand how the skin can adjust to Retin A. I've been using it for a long time, but my skin peels every time I use it!
priusgal
5% products discount

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Retin A micro 0.04% for one year and I still have peeling - my skin has never adjusted either. I use it every 2 nights. I just moisturize with argan or cranberry seed oil about 30 minutes afterwards and my skin has been feeling better. Helps a bit with the flakies.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
ella-stella, what percentage of Retin A are you using and how often?

I don't really understand how the skin can adjust to Retin A. I've been using it for a long time, but my skin peels every time I use it!

I find that the 0.1% makes me peel but I'm fine with the 0.05%.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I love using Retin-A. I use the generic tretinoin cream from ADC in the lowest strength. I still get peeling, flakes, dryness. The only thing that helped me get that under control was to alternate nights of the retin-a with nights of AHA cream. For the AHA, I use acne.org's AHA+ cream. Has worked incredibly well for me. I know I am not getting the major benefit of nightly straight retin-a use, but the alternating nights has worked much better for me. I tend to overdo with microfiber clothe exfoliation; the AHA cream is more gentle but still very effective for me.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I started with a lower % in some screams like Vitamin complex, then used the tube of Retin A 0.05% and by the end of that tube I didn't have peeling, but still had break outs.

I then upgraded to Retin A 0.1% and it made a huge difference in how my skin looks. When I started this % the skin started peeling again, but break outs stopped, then the skin became so smooth and even toned, I couldn't believe I can have such skin. Now I ran out of the gel and I am waiting for the supply to come.

By the way, thank you, RussianSunshine, you told me that you order Retin A (along with careprost) to Canada from reliableRXpharmacy, and that is where I got mine first time and now re-ordered.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
I started with a lower % in some screams like Vitamin complex, then used the tube of Retin A 0.05% and by the end of that tube I didn't have peeling, but still had break outs.

I then upgraded to Retin A 0.1% and it made a huge difference in how my skin looks. When I started this % the skin started peeling again, but break outs stopped, then the skin became so smooth and even toned, I couldn't believe I can have such skin. Now I ran out of the gel and I am waiting for the supply to come.

By the way, thank you, RussianSunshine, you told me that you order Retin A (along with careprost) to Canada from reliableRXpharmacy, and that is where I got mine first time and now re-ordered.

ella-stella, you are welcome!

How many times per week did you use the 0.1%? I wonder how often I should use the Retin 0.05% for my skin to adjust to it...
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I use it either every night for a specific period as a treatment or for maintenance (randomly at night depending how my skin feels/looks at what I feel it needs)

But I also apply a fair amount of avocado oil (or emu oil) right after I apply the Retin A, and in the morning. Maybe that helps me to avoid peeling for some time.

I am not saying, my skin is totally adjusted to 0.1% and doesn't have peeling at all. For me, it is precisely the point in using Retin A is to have that peeling = exfoliating effect. But the peeling is not as bad as it was when I just started with even the lower %. Then at some point the power % didn't work for my skin (was no improvements or even peeling, only break outs). So I thought that there is some adjustment and getting used to for the skin, because if I use a lower % after I have been using 0.1% regularly, my skin doesn't react to the lower % with peeling at all. Do you know what I mean? Has anyone noticed the same?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
I use it either every night for a specific period as a treatment or for maintenance (randomly at night depending how my skin feels/looks at what I feel it needs)

But I also apply a fair amount of avocado oil (or emu oil) right after I apply the Retin A, and in the morning. Maybe that helps me to avoid peeling for some time.

I am not saying, my skin is totally adjusted to 0.1% and doesn't have peeling at all. For me, it is precisely the point in using Retin A is to have that peeling = exfoliating effect. But the peeling is not as bad as it was when I just started with even the lower %. Then at some point the power % didn't work for my skin (was no improvements or even peeling, only break outs). So I thought that there is some adjustment and getting used to for the skin, because if I use a lower % after I have been using 0.1% regularly, my skin doesn't react to the lower % with peeling at all. Do you know what I mean? Has anyone noticed the same?

Yes, I know what you mean. That's precisely the reason why I switched to the 0.05%. My skin stopped reacting to the 0.025%.

But I always use Retin A alone, no oils or anything at all!

And to avoid ugly peeling under make up, I mix my foundation with Valmont 24h moisturizing cream
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a little unclear - what are we after here? Is it just personal choice whether we'll tolerate peeling or not?

I bought an assortment of retinoid creams & gels from adc in early November. I've been using the .025 - kind of alternating between the cream & gel every other night. I don't get breakouts. I've had v. minimal peeling on my cheeks and a little more more significant peeling near my jawline where I had some mild bumps (due to microfibre irritation). Now I get next to no peelies and the jawline area is as smooth as the rest.
The only other treatment I use on alternate days is vitamin c.

Should I should graduate to a new strength? I'm asking re a scar from a bruise I got last month, large pores & forehead/smile lines, none of which peeled. Should I spot treat these problem areas?
Or should I just start using the .025 every night & go to the new strength once its finished?

By the way congratulations ella-stella "smooth and even toned. I couldn't believe I can have such skin" is something I can't wait to say. Inspiring!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

Now I get next to no peelies and the jawline area is as smooth as the rest.

Or should I just start using the .025 every night & go to the new strength once its finished?

Not everyone gets the peelies/flakes, etc. from Retin A. That doesn't mean it isn't working. As you use Retin A regularly most people will adjust to it and the side effects of the peeling/flaking will diminish, if not go away completely. (That said some people never do adjust and are always irritated and would probably be better off using something else or a mild retinol product instead of tretinoin.)

My personal opinion would be to use up the 0.025% before even thinking about moving up to another strength.
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I love using Retin-A. I use the generic tretinoin cream from ADC in the lowest strength. I still get peeling, flakes, dryness. The only thing that helped me get that under control was to alternate nights of the retin-a with nights of AHA cream. For the AHA, I use acne.org's AHA+ cream. Has worked incredibly well for me. I know I am not getting the major benefit of nightly straight retin-a use, but the alternating nights has worked much better for me. I tend to overdo with microfiber clothe exfoliation; the AHA cream is more gentle but still very effective for me.

This is what I do...alternate .025% retin-a gel with alpha hydrox retinol resQ (which is a 15% AHA). It keeps me smooth and flake free.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl, I'll do that. And maybe once I use it up I'll know enough and be brave enough to get creative & mix the stronger ones up with something else as I apply. Wink

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Thanks rileygirl, I'll do that. And maybe once I use it up I'll know enough and be brave enough to get creative & mix the stronger ones up with something else as I apply. Wink

You're welcome! Good luck!
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
My peeling and redness problems ceased when I applied my oil before the RA--not after. And then someone posted a medical report stating that olive oil and castor oil actually have a positive effect when used with RA.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:
My peeling and redness problems ceased when I applied my oil before the RA--not after. And then someone posted a medical report stating that olive oil and castor oil actually have a positive effect when used with RA.

Do you have a link to that study, Flavia?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Flavia wrote:

Do you have a link to that study, Flavia?

It's me not Flavia but I think it may be the one on this thread if you scroll down to JonnyNJ's post. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6399355&highlight=study+shows+00+025+retin#6399355

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

It's me not Flavia but I think it may be the one on this thread if you scroll down to JonnyNJ's post. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6399355&highlight=study+shows+00+025+retin#6399355

Thank you, DM. Off to read! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Thank you, DM. Off to read! Very Happy

You are Welcome Riley, I hope that's the right one! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's the right link. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:
Yes, that's the right link. Very Happy

Thanks, it's always nice to know when you get it right! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
thanks, everyone for your advice! It's nice to have this forum. There is nothing like first hand experience..
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |