Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Retinoid users look here!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
usa4040
5% products discount

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Quick question! I was looking into using a retinoid (again) and am wondering what you all use (e.g. Renova/Retin-A/Differin) and why.

I am just wondering to see which kind and why because I'd love to use a retinoid again because of all the purported benefits.

Thank you Smile
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I use 0.05% retin-a cream from ADC. I've used Renova in the past, but it's hard to find and expensive. My insurance doesn't cover the cost, so it's cheaper for me to go with ADC. I've also tried the 0.1% retin-a micro gel but I found my skin liked the cream better. The gel wasn't moisturizing enough. My skin is normal/slightly dry.

There are quite a few threads here on how to best use retin-a. The key is to start slow.

Welcome and good luck!
usa4040
5% products discount

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
So ADC is All Day Chemist correct? I have been on ADC a few times and am always skeptical of the pharmacy sites but everybody here says its legit!

Also, what is a good place to start (percentage wise)?
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes ADC is All Day Chemist ..I've ordered from them twice no probs. I am using 0.04% micro-retin from ADC. I started with this as I heard the side effects were less severe - I still got plenty of peeling and a bit of rawness when I first started, but it got better.

I wanted to use it around my eyes too and its certainly tolerable..

Only prob is I stopped using it for a few weeks, just hope I don't have to go through the peeling stage again Mad

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
priusgal
5% products discount

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
When I asked my derm about starting Retin A he gave me samples of Retin A micro 0.04%. I ordered from ADC with absolutely no problems. I've been using one year and I still peel but not major peeling. And my skin looks great!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Ok RA experts,

I have used the Green Cream #9 and have planned on RA cream 0.025, just want to take it slow, I know I am a late bloomer starting at almost 57! Here's my problem every place I check is out of stock, or say it's not available????

I really want the cream, do any of you know who has it, if not any idea what is up? Did everybody buy it all or are they not making it any longer?

Please help!

TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hello DarkMoon,

I also started with Retin A cream 0.025% about half a year ago. To start even slower i was applying it once a week for a month.
Then increased to every 4-5 days.

After i finished my first tube i switched to Retin A micro 0.04% just to increase the percentage.
I found interesting thing - my skin tolerated better Retin A micro 0.04% than cream 0.025%.
Yes, cream is more moisturizing and gel is drying, but i prefer to add an oil on top of 0.04 and use it every 3 days, than
not being able to use 0.025 even twice a week, because of my skin reaction.

Anyway, i bought everything on All Day Chemist. I made with them 2 transactions so far - no problems. Because it is so cheap you can get many different tubes and experiment with it. The shipping is so expensive - you want to get as many as you can in one transaction.
usa4040
5% products discount

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
So I think I am going to try Retin-A Micro. I read the cream has an ingredient in it (myristil-something) and it is very pore-clogging so it is bad for acne prone skin. I believe I should definitely stay away from that! Thoughts?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
are they not making it any longer?

Please help!

TIA

I am sure it is still being made. Maybe just give the places a few weeks and it probably will be back in stock.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tazorac (cream) .05 and .1

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
usa4040 wrote:
So I think I am going to try Retin-A Micro. I read the cream has an ingredient in it (myristil-something) and it is very pore-clogging so it is bad for acne prone skin. I believe I should definitely stay away from that! Thoughts?

The cream can be tough on acne prone skin. I think you are wise going with the micro gel.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
are they not making it any longer?

Please help!

TIA

I am sure it is still being made. Maybe just give the places a few weeks and it probably will be back in stock.

I am sure you and everyone are right, I just vented a bit! After waiting all this time to start I couldn't find the one I wanted! Thanks all for answering and putting up with my hissy fit. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, you have said you have very normal skin, so you may also be just fine with trying the 0.05% cream if you can find that? Especially if you start out slow with just a few nights a week and then build up gradually to nightly.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Darkmoon, you have said you have very normal skin, so you may also be just fine with trying the 0.05% cream if you can find that? Especially if you start out slow with just a few nights a week and then build up gradually to nightly.

I thought about that if I can't find the lower %. I was planning on buying a few tubes at the same time to save on shipping! I will let you know what I end up finding!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I was using Atralin (Tretinoin Gel 0.05%), but gave it up months ago. It was prescribed by my dermatologist to fade a brown spot on my cheek. But, it just made my skin raw, red and then very dry, painful and flakey. I even tried to go days in between, but the same thing kept happening. Maybe I didn't use it long enough to give it a chance to work with my skin. I just started using it again last night, but only to spot treat 2 blemishes that were appearing on my face. The good thing about my Retin-A is that the (2) large tubes have an expiration date of 2013. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

Since October 2010, I've been using tretinoin cream .05% for acne, wrinkle prevention, and finishing off my faded freckles. My derm had me apply it two nights per week for the first month, then three nights per week indefinitely. (I actually had to ease into 3 nights per week a little slower.) On the off nights, I use Olay Regenerist Serum, fragrance-free, because the niacinamide is supposed to help the skin produce more ceramides, which are exactly what get scarce due to tretinoin.

I think I'm nearly used to it now, and have only peeled once in the last month. Besides all of the usual good advice (apply 30 min after cleansing, moisturize another 30 min later if necessary, etc.) I've learned that it helps to not apply it to freshly peeled skin: to skip around peeling spots or skip a night entirely if peeling is widespread.

About the isopropyl myristate in the cream, it might cause some clogged pores at the beginning, but I think the tretinoin changes the structure of skin enough that eventually it won't clog pores. My breakouts while starting tretinoin were I think more irritation-type breakouts, and not clogging-type ones. And the tretinoin makes pimples clear up much faster than usual.

Cheers! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
GRRRRR

Sorry had to get that out of my system!

I finally ordered both 0.025% and 0.05% (2 tubes each) of the Retin A cream from ADC. Murphy's Law struck and every time I added one % to my cart it deleted the other and the site was loading really slowly, so after many attempts I called and placed my order!

Hopefully I will see my order reasonably soon!

Welcome me to the club of possible peely, red, flaky skin soon. I will let you all know how my tolerant skin deals with it, and yes I will start very slowly. Smile

Thanks for letting me growl about crazy web sites!
Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
DM - use the CP serum you bought along w/ the Retin A. It will help keep those peelies away! (still start slow - diluted, until your skin is use to the CPs. And the same [slow] with the Retin A)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
DM - use the CP serum you bought along w/ the Retin A. It will help keep those peelies away! (still start slow - diluted, until your skin is use to the CPs. And the same [slow] with the Retin A)

Thanks foxe,

2011 is going to be an interesting year for new skin care on my skin!
I have the super cop serum so I plan on going really slowly with both, have no desire to over stress my skin.

I have to tell you I was ready to toss my pc or phone out the window today with the ADC site acting deluded. Smile

5% products discount

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Happy .025% Retin-A Cream user here. I currently use a generic from the local pharmacy (I'm in US), and have used the name brand as well. No perceivable difference for me.

I had used it off and on over the years (supposedly for acne), and was never given good instructions for use. My skin was always super-sensitive, upset, & peeling. Derms always wanted to 'bump up' use as soon as my skin *stopped* freaking out. Which is so, so silly - peeling isn't the goal, cell communication & normalization is the goal. Peeling is just a side effect. As has been posted here many times, research shows .025% is as effective a dose for anti-aging as anything stronger, so *bumping up* for that purpose is unnecessary.

Turned out I have Rosacea (not acne), so the irritation from higher strengths of tretinoin just made things worse for me. Having researched a bit, I *asked* my doctor for a prescription for .025%, as judicious use of retinoids are shown to normalize skin behavior in Rosacea (as well as acne, aging, etc.). I'm better informed about proper use, and this outing has been very successful! Very Happy

I started using it again about 10 months ago, and my skin has normalized a bit and become somewhat *less* sensitive & reactive. Skintone is more even, inflammation is reduced, overall skin quality is better.

The anti-aging benefits are a nice plus, and since I have a prescription, I don't have to order from overseas (although I have in the past, and even bought it in Mexico when I was living near the border). Overseas is still more affordable, but generic from the pharmacy is more convenient.

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
bellableu
5% products discount

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
GRRRRR

Sorry had to get that out of my system!

I finally ordered both 0.025% and 0.05% (2 tubes each) of the Retin A cream from ADC. Murphy's Law struck and every time I added one % to my cart it deleted the other and the site was loading really slowly, so after many attempts I called and placed my order!

Hopefully I will see my order reasonably soon!

Welcome me to the club of possible peely, red, flaky skin soon. I will let you all know how my tolerant skin deals with it, and yes I will start very slowly. Smile

Thanks for letting me growl about crazy web sites!
Bad Grin

DM, I'm sure you are well aware of this already, but I'm going to say it anyway: Take it VERY slow! Smile I know you have tolerant skin, and that's great - just know you don't NEED to peel and flake and experience irritation to get the benefits of Retin-A. Start with every third night for a couple/few weeks, then go up to every other night as tolerated. Also please note it takes up to a year to see full benefits for anti-aging. Very Happy

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:00 am      Reply with quote
bellableu,

Thank you, I appreciate the reminder and warning. I know all the pitfalls from reading and paying close attention, but I know any of us can fall prey to that evil little voice that says more is better. My skin is tough, however I have seen a pattern of what is possibly excessive "skin care" resulting in problems that then need to be repaired? It's just my theory however I would rather go with less is more, and I still may be here crying the blues if I am red and flaky! Smile I figure if I waited almost 57 years to add Retin A, another year is fine.
Your mental kick in the butt is quite welcome! I think I might start with 2 nights a weak for a month or so before adding another night assuming all goes well. I will report in with my experience. Thanks again! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Retin A 0.1 cream.fast results,use with a very good moisturizer.

5% products discount

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
bellableu,

Thank you, I appreciate the reminder and warning. I know all the pitfalls from reading and paying close attention, but I know any of us can fall prey to that evil little voice that says more is better. My skin is tough, however I have seen a pattern of what is possibly excessive "skin care" resulting in problems that then need to be repaired? It's just my theory however I would rather go with less is more, and I still may be here crying the blues if I am red and flaky! Smile I figure if I waited almost 57 years to add Retin A, another year is fine.
Your mental kick in the butt is quite welcome! I think I might start with 2 nights a weak for a month or so before adding another night assuming all goes well. I will report in with my experience. Thanks again! Smile

You are so, so welcome! Here's to happy, tolerant, youthing skin. Very Happy

YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Have anybody heard of developing allergies to Retin-A over time?

Here is my story. I started Retin-A 0.025 in June 2010 once a week for a first month, then moved to twice a week.
After finishing my first tube i moved to 0.04 micro. I am almost finished this second tube.

Today i woke up with all my face itching like crazy AND swollen ....
Why? I didn't do anything new. I haven't combined it with anything.

The only cause i can think of - i used the day before my galvanic SPA. That could increase my skin sensibility.

But, does that mean i can't use Retin-A anymore? I love it! It cleared my face and improved my skin texture.

I only hope i can still use serums and creams containing retinoids.

Gosh! It is still itching so much, i can't wait to get home and start applying some aloe vera on my face and neck.
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |