Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retinoid users look here!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Has it ever happened after using the galvanic before?

YB wrote:
Have anybody heard of developing allergies to Retin-A over time?

Here is my story. I started Retin-A 0.025 in June 2010 once a week for a first month, then moved to twice a week.
After finishing my first tube i moved to 0.04 micro. I am almost finished this second tube.

Today i woke up with all my face itching like crazy AND swollen ....
Why? I didn't do anything new. I haven't combined it with anything.

The only cause i can think of - i used the day before my galvanic SPA. That could increase my skin sensibility.

But, does that mean i can't use Retin-A anymore? I love it! It cleared my face and improved my skin texture.

I only hope i can still use serums and creams containing retinoids.

Gosh! It is still itching so much, i can't wait to get home and start applying some aloe vera on my face and neck.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
This may be a stupid question but, same type and brand?
It may be something in the base that you developed an allergy too. Just throwing another thought out?
Take some benadryl or any antihistamine to help the itching!
Sorry this happened!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Atiyya:

I am sure this reaction is not to galvanic. I did galvanic treatments multiple times before. But it does make skin more responsive to topical's for the couple of days.
It always counted as an advantage. Well, not in my case Smile

DarkMoon:

Thank You for reminding me about antihistamines. I totally forgot about it. I'll take it when i get home.

In regards to the brand of R-A, this is the last few drops of the tube. That what i was using last few months with absolutely no negative reactions.

Wait ..... stupid me!!!! I washed my face with glycolic face wash . I always picked the other one on Retin-A nights.
That could be the answer.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using a conductive gel with the galvanic device?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I use Retin A Cream 0.05% mixed with either Obagi Blend FX or Skinoren (Azelaic Acid) Cream.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
YB,

I am glad you mentioned the glycolic face wash, I mainly cleanse with OCM, but I have a glycolic wash I use sometimes like after a mask. I will remember not to do that before applying, mine should be here in the next week or 2.

I hope the antihistamine helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu:

Yes, of course, i am using appropriate gel with galvanic device. As i said, i am sure galvanic spa just increased the sensitivity of my skin.
But this is what it supposed to do.

DarkMoon:

I was reviewing other topics. Many EDS members actually using Retin-A after glycolic face wash with no problem.
Oil - that what i usually did before Retin-A.

I guess i picked glycolic, because i just finished reading "Skin Care The Beautiful Skin Workout" by Michelle Copeland, M.D.,
this evening. Her method CEAMP (clean, exfoliate, activate, moisturize, protect) is definitely very convincing.

I was trying to remember what else i did this evening. I took 1000 mg of vitamin C few days in a raw.
I remember reading somewhere it can conflict with Retin-A too.

But that would be all. Nothing else for sure
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
With allergic reactions it can be very difficult to find what set it off. It could even have been something you ate.

I doubt that it would have been the glycolic wash or the Retin-A. But I think the only thing you can do is to stop absolutely everything and take an antihistamine. When the swelling and irritation has gone, re-introduce your products one by one and see how you go.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
My plan exactly.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
My plan exactly.

Sounds like the best plan, I agree with Keliu you just never know with allergic reactions, unless it's after something not usual for you. Even then they can show up out of the blue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thank You ladies. I really appreciate your support.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
Thank You ladies. I really appreciate your support.

I hope things have subsided some? Smile

5% products discount

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Those using a Retin-A type product, do you spot treat problem areas for aging skin, or do you apply evenly over the entire face?

I have been prescribed Tretinoin in the past for "age spots" on the face, and I only applied it to the spots.

But now...I'd like to make my skin look better overall. My skin is currently pale, dull, lifeless looking and the skin on the eyelids and surrounding eye tissues has thinned so they look purplish. The area around my mouth has some "sagginess". I've been doing Ageless for 8 months straight, and I don't look any better. I am 50.

I would like to address the pale, dull, lifeless look my skin has acquired. Can Retin-A products help with this? Any help appreciated.
Luciana
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
YB: are you still using oil?
This is what happened to me: a few months ago I got red itchy bumps on my face. My routine had been the same for about 4 months when this occurred. I had been using the same brand of retin-A, vit C serum, sunscreen, and cleanser for about 2 years and jojoba oil for 4 months. I stopped everything, except for the jojoba oil. For some misterious reason, I thought the oil cannot be the culprit. The allergy got worse over a few days. I took OTC anti-histaminics with no effect. I went to the doctor; he asked if there is any recent change in my diet, topicals, detergent, etc. No. He wrote a prescription for a stronger anti-histaminic. Now, I was also sleepy in addition to swollen and itchy. I decided to stop the oil with the risk of getting desert-dry skin. The allergy started to go away.
It may not be the oil in your case; I thought I'd share this in case it is...
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thank You Luciana.

It is probably not my case, because the night before i woke up with allergy symptoms i only washed my face (with glycolic face wash, that was probably a mistake), toned it with my usual toner (no alcohol, of course) and put my Retin-A (i use already several months). Nothing else topical. I took this evening also 1000 mg vit C internally.

So i guess the reaction was either from combination glycolic & Retin-A or Retin-A & vitC.

I was expecting my condition to get better over night, since i took 2 pills of antihistamine and an oil topically to calm my face. Now you made me realize THAT was probably a mistake too. I woke up again itching with my face swelling. And now, thanks to you, i know why. I shouldn't put oil on top of my red face.

I have long history of bad reaction to jojoba oil (strange ha?). But i was always ok with grape seed oil ... Guess not in my current condition.

Anyway, tonight i'll clean my face with eye make up remover only and put some aloe vera - THAT'S IT.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Kandi wrote:
Those using a Retin-A type product, do you spot treat problem areas for aging skin, or do you apply evenly over the entire face?

I have been prescribed Tretinoin in the past for "age spots" on the face, and I only applied it to the spots.

But now...I'd like to make my skin look better overall. My skin is currently pale, dull, lifeless looking and the skin on the eyelids and surrounding eye tissues has thinned so they look purplish. The area around my mouth has some "sagginess". I've been doing Ageless for 8 months straight, and I don't look any better. I am 50.

I would like to address the pale, dull, lifeless look my skin has acquired. Can Retin-A products help with this? Any help appreciated.

Hi Kandi, I use Retin-A all over my face, neck & decolletage. You will notice improvement in a few months but just start out slow till your skin adjusts.
Do you use a vit.c serum? My skin starts to look more dull if I go a period of time without a C serum. RA & vit.c serum both made a big difference for me with the issues you mentioned. HTH
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I made a research on my reaction to Retin A and here is what i found.
Please read, so you do not repeat my mistakes .

The source: http://www.healthgrades.com/drug-ratings/drug/sideeffects/15275/retin-a%20micro

This medication may make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid prolonged sun exposure, tanning booths, and sunlamps. Weather extremes such as wind or cold may also be irritating to the skin. (Well, it is below 20F here in NY with wind. ('hmm')).

This drug should not be used with the following medications because very serious interactions may occur: products containing alpha hydroxy acid, products containing glycolic acid.
(Exactly what i did. ('Brick wall') )

Avoid electrolysis, waxing and chemical depilatories for hair removal on the treated areas while using this product. If you have recently used products containing sulfur, resorcinol or salicylic acid, use tretinoin with caution. Wait until the effects of such products on the skin have decreased before using tretinoin.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: hair perming solutions, alcohol/lime/menthol-containing products (such as astringents, toners, shaving lotions), medicated or abrasive soaps and cleansers, products containing sulfur, resorcinol or salicylic acid, soaps and cosmetics with a strong drying effect, other drugs that may increase your sensitivity to sunlight (e.g., fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin, tetracyclines, thiazide water pills such as hydrochlorothiazide, sulfa drugs such as sulfamethoxazole, phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine). Benzoyl peroxide can be very irritating and may decrease the effectiveness of tretinoin if the two products are applied at the same time.

I guess i will come back to Retin A after all, just keeping all the above in mind. ('')
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
YB,

I am copying that to notes so I have a handy reference for when I start! Sorry I learned from your bad experience but thank you for posting valuable information! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
YB I suspected the glycolic acid.I do not use anything but a plain cleanser and moisturizer when on retin A.Retn A is so awesome and does such a good job at exfoliating i dont find it necessary to use other products to irritate the skin further.

YB wrote:
I made a research on my reaction to Retin A and here is what i found.
Please read, so you do not repeat my mistakes .

The source: http://www.healthgrades.com/drug-ratings/drug/sideeffects/15275/retin-a%20micro

This medication may make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid prolonged sun exposure, tanning booths, and sunlamps. Weather extremes such as wind or cold may also be irritating to the skin. (Well, it is below 20F here in NY with wind. ('hmm')).

This drug should not be used with the following medications because very serious interactions may occur: products containing alpha hydroxy acid, products containing glycolic acid.
(Exactly what i did. ('Brick wall') )

Avoid electrolysis, waxing and chemical depilatories for hair removal on the treated areas while using this product. If you have recently used products containing sulfur, resorcinol or salicylic acid, use tretinoin with caution. Wait until the effects of such products on the skin have decreased before using tretinoin.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: hair perming solutions, alcohol/lime/menthol-containing products (such as astringents, toners, shaving lotions), medicated or abrasive soaps and cleansers, products containing sulfur, resorcinol or salicylic acid, soaps and cosmetics with a strong drying effect, other drugs that may increase your sensitivity to sunlight (e.g., fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin, tetracyclines, thiazide water pills such as hydrochlorothiazide, sulfa drugs such as sulfamethoxazole, phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine). Benzoyl peroxide can be very irritating and may decrease the effectiveness of tretinoin if the two products are applied at the same time.

I guess i will come back to Retin A after all, just keeping all the above in mind. ('')

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Atiyya,

Well, i was under the impression that Retin-A can help you with many things: re-building collagen and elastin, improve skin texture, help with acne and hyper-pigmentation,
smooth the fine lines , BUT you do need to exfoliate. Some how you need to remove from your skin all these peeling and flaking caused by Retin A.
Retin A helps our skin to re-generate faster, but you still need something to remove the dead cells.

Obviously, not every one can do it the same day. We also have to play with concentrations. Too many goodies at the same time - isn't good Smile
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried a light scrub?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sure, but for my thin skin it is not a good option. I do use microdermabrasion cream once every 7-10 days.
Thank You for asking though.
evelin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I have a very acne prone skin, with large pores, and pitted acne scars from cystic acne that I had in my 20s( 37yr now). I got acne around 12yr old and tried a range of prescription and non prescription remedies throughout the years, nothing worked.
Two years ago, I stopped everything I used and went to a derm.
below is my current routine
tazorac .1%, used to use every night but now several times a week. If it gets flaky I just take few days off.
5% benzoyl peroxide wash 1-2 times. It keeps breakouts at bay. It is not the best for the skin though. I noticed slowed healing of acne or scars if I used it often
cetaphil moisturizer.
I also did 12 sessions of microdermaabrasion. Two weeks intervals. Doctor used a "turbo" setting, which would give me redness for 24hrs. Now I do maintenance microdemaabrasion every few months ( expensive but works)
My skin has never looked better.

I think combination of tazorac and minimum product use helped a lot.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
For me, I combat retin-a peelies with a yogurt lemon juice asprin mask. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but am always afraid of any manual exfoliation while on retin-a.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I had the same once. Do not use Retin A and galvanic during the same time period. As well as avoid using any AHA, BHA or Vit C products, if you have sensitive skin.

That said though, you are right that skin still requires exfoliation because, as far as I know, Retin A is not an exfoliator.

Have you tried microdermabrasion?

YB wrote:
Have anybody heard of developing allergies to Retin-A over time?

Here is my story. I started Retin-A 0.025 in June 2010 once a week for a first month, then moved to twice a week.
After finishing my first tube i moved to 0.04 micro. I am almost finished this second tube.

Today i woke up with all my face itching like crazy AND swollen ....
Why? I didn't do anything new. I haven't combined it with anything.

The only cause i can think of - i used the day before my galvanic SPA. That could increase my skin sensibility.

But, does that mean i can't use Retin-A anymore? I love it! It cleared my face and improved my skin texture.

I only hope i can still use serums and creams containing retinoids.

Gosh! It is still itching so much, i can't wait to get home and start applying some aloe vera on my face and neck.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |