Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Your favorite makeup tips...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Wondering what little habits/tips/hints you might have regarding makeup use or skincare, that you could share with the rest of us...

Here's mine:

*In the winter, I run my tube of mascara under warm water before applying. It goes on smooth instead of clumpy and goopy from being cold.

*When I get to the bottom of my pump tube of foundation (I use NCN's Sheer Mineral Tint) and can't get any more to come out, (cap won't unscrew,) I snip off the other end and to get to the foundation clinging to the insides (at least 2-3 months worth!!) then seal it back up air tight with 2 small paper binder clips.

*This is not a new idea to most folks on here, but whenever I need a new eyeliner brush, I head to Michaels Craft store, and spend under $5 to get exactly the size I like.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Great tips Mountaingirl! I particularly love the tip on brushes, as yes these can be quite expensive. I must go and check out my local craft shop.

Here's some of mine that may already be known but it's good for reference.

*When I come to the end of a tub of lipgloss and can no longer get anymore out, rather than cutting open the tube and making a mess trying to get the remaining product out. I will place the tube right side up with the lid on in a tub of boiling water that has cooled a little, wait for it to melt and run down, I will then cut the bottom off and tip the remaining into a little contain with a lid.
You can buy little screw top containers in craft stores cheaper than Beauty Stores that sell something similar. It will set again when it cools down or you can place into the fridge to speed things up and then I just use a lip brush to apply.

*If you have powdered eyeshadows that can make quite a mess and would rather these be set. You just use your Hair Straightener if you have one on low and place a little metal container on the iron and add the powdered eyeshadow. Give it a few minutes to melt then remove and pour into a pallet. This will set and you can use it much easier.

*If you have pump products that you can't get the remaining product out of, place right side up and place into a tub of boiling water that has cooled a little. Wait for it to melt and tip the remaining product into a little container, allow to cool and apply the lid. The product will set and be easier to use with no waste.

*Eyeliner pencils that are quite small and hard to use, you can remove the middle from the pencil by gently shaving of the wood around with a vegetable peeler, when you get get to the middle, place in a metal container and use your Straightener on low to melt the pencil and pour into a container with a lid, this will set and you can use it with a brush to apply to the eye's
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding craft store purchases - I purchase a pencil called Charcoal White which I use underneath my nail tips to make them white. It works so much better than the cosmetic pencils sold for this purpose, and it's cheaper.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I knew you were holding something back Keliu. Good one!

I've been feeling so inadequate with all the wonderful knowledge being shared here - been racking my brains to come up with something - that's all I've got!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

I kind of thought that also- maybe press the makeup with parchment paper and then out some paper towel on it to dry?
that way you lose less makeup when pressing??

or maybe poke some holes in the parchment paper with a pin so the alcohol can evaporate?

Can you put the mineral makeup in the oven at a low temp?
if it was in a metal pan it could work?

Ottawa Shopper I have been experimenting over the weekend with different pigments, eye-shadows etc and have come up with a fool proof way to press broken shadows, pigments etc including mineral eyeshadow, powders etc.

Pressing Eye-shadows, Pigments, Broken Shadows etc using Rubbing Alcohol.

2 Teaspoons powdered eyeshadow (if you have a broken blush etc just crush it up to form a powder)

1 Teaspoon Rubbing Alcohol

*Place powder in a bowl and add the Rubbing Alcohol and mix to form a smooth paste.

*Pour or spoon into a pan and use the back of a knife or spatula to run across the top to remove any excess and smooth.

*Allow to slightly set before adding a piece of absorbent paper towel, tissue paper or if using parchment poke some holes into it.(the paper needs to be able to breathe so if using parchment make sure you poke holes into it)

*Also before adding the paper over the top, make sure you have allowed enough time for the mix to firm up, as you don't want the paper to stick to it. I allowed 1-2 hours.

*When dry enough place paper over the top and then using a coin, press down on the shadow etc to bind it together.

*Allow to set for approx 24 hours before removing the coin and paper. It should now be dry, however I left it for another day before using it.

*Note: If your in a hurry, you can press the shadow etc before placing in an over on 180-200 C for approx 20-30 minutes, before turning off the oven and allowing to cool before removing.
I tried this and it does work quite well.

Now I found a product over the weekend that I will be sticking with now that I know about it.
It's Ez Prez Pressing Medium. This works for all kinds of pigments including Mineral and gives such a professional finish I have no idea why I didn't find out about this before.

Pressing Shadows, Pigments, Minerals etc Using Ez Prez Pressing Medium.

*1.5-2 Teaspoons Powder, pigments or minerals

*15-20 Drops Ez Prez

*Place powder into a bowl and slowly add drops of the Pressing Medium until the powder sticks together.

*Make sure the mix isn't too wet and start to press into a pan a little at a time.

*After all the mix is used smooth off the top with the back of a knife or spatula etc.

*Place a piece of tissue paper, absorbent paper towel or parchment over the top and press down firmly.

*Remove paper and using a coin that has been disinfected with alcohol press down firmly and leave overnight or for approx 24 hours.

*If your in a hurry you can also place this in the oven for approx 30 minutes at 200 C and allow to cool in oven after this time.

*When cool remove and your shadow etc is ready to use.

I must say this is the best product I have used and will continue to use for pressing all my shadows, pigments, minerals etc, as Rubbing Alcohol doesn't work very well for minerals.

If your not wanting to use any of these products I will be testing out today to see if you can melt your powders in the oven on low. I'm not sure how this will go or if it will dry out the product because it is dry heat??

I will post back on my mad scientist experiments after I have tried them out today.

Also Coastal Scents sells the Pressing Medium for $9.95 if your wondering where you can find it. I got mine from a store near me, as the lady does workshops on making your own makeup and sells this Medium.

Very Happy
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 am      Reply with quote
When you want super long,full eyelashes,I use a product called fastlash by tweezerman. You first put one coat of mascara on upper lashes,then you put a very gentle stroke of fast lash.These are tiny white fibers that add volume, then you do one stroke of mascara and your lashes will be huge!It takes a special technique to do it properly,you may have to practice first. I actually tap the wand in my palm, loosening the white fibers in my hand and then I apply to upper lashes with my fingers,sometimes the wand puts on too many white fibers....you have to have just a small amount.If you perfect the technique people will think you are wearing false lashes.I use for special occasions....
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |