Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
I am new to forum and need serious help with skincare regime
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
over35

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I need a new skincare regime. I am 35 years old just had a baby and my skin is dry and dull. Money doesn't matter. I am completely clueless with skincare and overwhelmed with all of the options.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi and welcome.

What have you been doing for your skin? I would make an appointment with a good cosmetic dermatologist, and see about getting started on prescription tretinoin cream. Here's a guide to finding a good one: http://www.skintour.com/trusted-experts/seven-questions-to-ask-a-cosmetic-dermatologist

It might be a while until your appt, so in the meantime, you might try to exfoliate the dull top layer away with an AHA cream or lotion at night: Neostrata has some great choices, and Paula's Choice has a new Resist Smoothing and Resurfacing system that's getting raves. Another AHA option is Neutrogena Healthy Skin anti-blemish anti-wrinkle lotion SPF 15; I used and liked it, but you should be aware that it has no UVA protection, so use only at night.

AHAs can be a bit irritating, so start slow, like every other night, and back off if you experience redness or persistent stinging, and bump it up to every night if your skin likes it.

And of course, sunscreen, to protect the fresh radiant skin you'll uncover.

Hope this helps you get started,
Kay

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I used to go for monthly facials, but stopped once I had baby. So, my at home regime is only a moisturizer at night and spf during the day. Can you please recommend a step by step regime?
When I tell you how clueless I am I mean it.
I know you need cleaners, do you need toner?, and then do you need both an eye cream and a moisturizer? Then when do the AHA fit in? I need help. I guess I need the basics right now.
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Over35 and welcome to the Forums. Also congrats on the bub. Smile

Your obviously wanting a regime you can fit into your new lifestyle and something that isn't going to be too time consuming with the new addition.

If you are thinking of Tretinoin I would consult with my doctor first. Are you breast feeding because while it isn't fully known if this can be present in breast milk after use it is better to be safe just in-case.

I would start out with a simple routine that you can expand on as you start to get more confidant in your regime.
Did you have any 'Pregnancy Mask' or Melasma during pregnancy, which can occur in women which is a brown discoloration that occurs on sun exposed areas of the face?
I ask this because if you do you would be wanting something that can help with this to fade and help these troublesome areas.

Do you have a preference to what products you would like to use, whether it be natural or a full regime using all the same brand or a mixture. I prefer to use a mixture as I can't find everything I love in the one brand.

Also I would incorporate an eye cream or something soothing, as I'm sure you may be a little sleep deprived and this will help with puffiness, dark shadows and the dreaded bags we can all be accustomed too when we don't get enough sleep. Also a toner can be great to keep your skin matte, however if you have overly dry skin I would steer clear of anything that contains too much Alcohol because this can really dry out your skin.

You could start out like this and then incorporate an exfoliant, mask and perhaps a treatment into your regime when you start to get the hang of it.

A.M Cleanse: with your preferred cleanser. For
Normal/dry skin I would choose a cream based
cleanser, as gel based one's may be too
drying on your skin.

Tone: Toners are one of those things that
some people say you can skip, however I'm a
firm believer in them as they remove any
leftover traces of your cleanser and help to
firm the skin and help with pores.

Moisturise: I like to apply my moisturiser
before my toner fully dries, as this tends
to lock more moisture into the skin and keep
it hydrated. If your A.M moisturiser doesn't
contain a sunscreen then you will also need
a sunscreen in the A.M.
Personally I also apply a sunscreen even
though my moisturiser contains one, as you
can never be too sun savvy.

P.M Cleanse: The same as A.M, however I use a
different cleanser at night as I feel my
skin needs a deeper clean to rid my skin of
my day.

Tone: The same as A.M, I use the same toner
for day and night time use.

Moisturise: I use a different moisturiser
for night, as I want one that will help my
skin repair itself while I sleep and I love
to use an Anti-Aging one to help keep my
skin glowing.

Now once you have this starting regime you can then incorporate other products into this.

An Eye Cream: I use one A.M and P.M, you can use the same during the day and night however you can get one's separately for A.M use and P.M use. I tend to go for one during the day that helps with puffiness and any dark circles I may have. And for P.M I tend to use one to help with fine lines and any aging concerns I may have.

Exfoliants: These are great to use a couple of times a week to help rid the skin of any dry skin and impurities that can be lurking from all that dead skin on your face. I tend to use these of a night time after I have cleansed my skin.

Facial Masks: These are great to give your skin a salon treatment at home and depending on your skin type you can start off with once a week and then perhaps up it to two times a week depending on the time you have and how your skin is feeling. Don't use a mask on the same night that you exfoliate, as I find this a bit too much for my skin.

Serums: You can incorporate a Vitamin C serum into your regime during the day and at night time perhaps a Retinol if your doctor thinks this is OK, as there isn't any proof that it can get into breast milk if your breast feeding, however it's better to be safe on this issue.
Serums need to be applied before your moisturiser.

AHA/BHA: You can incorporate these into your regime in your night time moisturiser or incorporated in your exfoliant, just be aware that if you use AHA, BHA, Retinol, Vitamin C etc you will definitely need to use a sunscreen during the day, as your skin can burn really easily if you don't.

What moisturiser are you using now? Are you wanting to use products from that brand, or do you have something else in mind?

Well I hope this helps you out a little and can't wait to hear what you come up with.
Smile
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot to add that I also pre-cleanse with a cleansing oil that I make myself and also use oils as treatments, however I thought that I wouldn't add that as you wanted the basics. But then decided I would add it because you may want to remove your make-up etc with a pre-cleanse or make-up remover, but it's up to you and you may not have time for a big complicated regime. Smile
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
If you are breastfeeding i would recommend you not use retin A/tretinoin or AHAs(ALPHA HYDROXY ACIDS/BHA (Beta hydroxy acid)
GENERIC NAME: tretinoin
BRAND NAME: Retin-A, Atralin, Renova, Avita, Altinac
"NURSING MOTHERS: It is unknown whether tretinoin is distributed into breast milk. It is also unknown if topically applied tretinoin accumulates to an extent sufficient to pose a concern in the infant. Nonetheless, since oral tretinoin is not recommended during lactation, it probably is prudent to avoid nursing during treatment with topical tretinoin"
"But retinoids are one of the skin-care ingredients that experts, including Baumann, recommend that expectant moms stay away from. Some studies have shown that high doses of vitamin A during pregnancy can be harmful to an unborn child. And oral retinoids, such as isotretinoin (Accutane, an acne treatment), are known to cause birth defects."
http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

Let us know if you are breastfeeding or not then we can recommend products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi and welcome over35,

A regime I would recommend to everyone is:

AM
Cleanse
Vitamin C
Essential oils
moisturizer or serum
sunscreen

PM
Cleanse
Retin A and/or AHA's

As others have said, if you are breastfeeding I don't think you should use Retin A yet. But, I do think AHA's would be OK. I was thinking the you might want to try the Karin herzog line. It is sold at EDS and many of the people on this forum like it very much. Here is a link to the thread on KH: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28480

If you are looking for specific product recommendations, here are some suggestions:

AM
Cleanse with Dermaquest C-Lipoic cleanser http://skincarerx.com/DermaQuest-Skin-Therapy-C-Lipoic-Cleanser-with-DMAE-Complex.html

Use an essential oil blend. I love Tammy Fender's quintessential serum http://store.tammyfender.com/products/Quintessential-Serum-%7C-Formula-No.-QS%252d9-%281-oz%29.html
I also like Aesop or Enessa for oils

Use a sunscreen with antioxidants that doubles as a moisturizer. I like Dermaquest SPF with Zinclear http://skincarerx.com/DermaQuest-Skin-Therapy--ZinClear-SPF-30.html

PM
Cleanse with an oil-based cleanser. I like karin Herzog professional cleanser or Eve Lom cleanser http://www.essentialdayspa.com/karin-herzog-professional-p_9111.htm

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp201460/eve_lom/cleanser.htm

Use an AHA IS Clinical's Polyvitamin serum is great . It is moisturizing too so you probably don't need a moisturizer over it. It was created for cancer patients, to help them with the effects of chemotherapy and radiation. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/is-clinical-poly-vitamin-p_9532.htm

You can add in Vitamin C (I love Skinceuticals C E Ferulic) over time and Retin A when you stop breastfeeding. There is a wealth of information on Retin A on this forum so just do a search on the forum for more information.

Also, a few times a week you could use a physical exfoliant (Karin Herzog mild scrub is excellent) after cleansing either in the morning or evening.
over35

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I am so happy people responded because as I said I am so clueless.
Thank you for your suggestions, but I need recommened brands too.
I am not breastfeeding so Retin - A is an option. Do you guys suggest I use? If so, how do you apply as I hear you can extremely dry and peeling occurs.
Currently, I am using mario badesu cleanser, cellufirm drops and moisturizer.
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Yes just start with 0.025% retin A cream.

"How do you apply Retin-A?

Retin-A should be applied sparingly to the skin's surface until it has been completely absorbed. Initially you should do this 5 times a week and thereafter about 3 times a week. Avoid any contact with the eyes.

It is also recommended that you use a moisturizer and a high factor sunscreen because Retin-A increases skin sensitivity."

over35 wrote:
Hi! I am so happy people responded because as I said I am so clueless.
Thank you for your suggestions, but I need recommened brands too.
I am not breastfeeding so Retin - A is an option. Do you guys suggest I use? If so, how do you apply as I hear you can extremely dry and peeling occurs.
Currently, I am using mario badesu cleanser, cellufirm drops and moisturizer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Here's the advice I got for my sensitive skin: (cobbled together from my derm, reading about retinoid dermatitis, etc.)

I was told to use the tretinoin cream .05% two nights a week for one month, and then 3 nights a week, indefinitely. I actually had to ease into 3 nights per week a little slower. On the off nights, I use Olay Regenerist Serum fragrance-free or La Roche-Posay Cicaplast.

For the actual application:

- Wash with a gentle cleanser (I've been using and liking La Roche-Posay Toleriane dermo cleanser), and wait 20-30 minutes before applying tretinoin, because wet skin is weaker and more prone to irritation.

- Apply only a pea-sized amount: dot it around your face and then gently blend the dots together. Keep a good 1/2 inch away from mouth (I actually have to skip the whole indented area under my mouth half the time--it's the most sensitive part of my face), and apply under the eyes (again, maybe 1/2 inch away from lash line), and not to the upper eyelid, but maybe on the brow bone.

- Wait another 20 minutes or so, and if the skin feels dry, moisturize with something gentle--and preferably a moisturizer containing ceramides, because that's one thing skin gets short on with tretinoin. Safflower oil is rich in ceramides. I needed a moisturizer like this only the first couple of weeks.

- Make sure you have a go-to soothing moisturizer for the off nights, a go-to sunscreen (maybe SPF 15 for winter and SPF 30 for spring/summer), and a gentler backup because the chemicals in high-SPF sunscreens can irritate tretinoin-treated skin (mine's no sunscreen and staying inside). Also helpful: hats or parasols as another layer of protection against the sun. Zinc oxide may help: it's both a non-chemical UV filter and a soothing ointment (I'm using and liking Olay Complete sensitive SPF 15 classic gentle formula layered over my Olay Regen serum).

- Be ready to delay the next application by a night if there's a lot of peeling or any redness or irritation starting. If just peeling in tiny spots, you might apply while skipping those spots.

- Don't pull on the peeling skin. Try to delay peeling by moisturizing, and then next time you cleanse, gently rub with your fingertips to loosen the peeling skin.

For us acne-prone folks, most derms will prescribe an antibiotic to get us through the first couple months. Getting lots of omega-3s will also help with the whole thing: a shot of olive oil, 1000-2000 mg of primrose, flaxseed, and cod liver oils, and of course, lots of fish!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |