Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Travelling to NYC in february!! HELP!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girls...I am hoping someone local to NYC or has travelled there in winter will help me.

I do some work for a rock band (from Australia) who are touring the east coast in Feb. Now I am really confused about clothing, as I need to look good (read as funky,cool, rock chic Smile ) but still be warm. I have just purchased a thigh length black down puffer type jacket, but I am told I may need waterproof boots!!?? Yikes!!! Need something that still looks good. Saw some juicy Couture ones, but very $$$.

Also concerned about the rest of clothing...is there such a thing as warmer/winter weight leggings?? Will I need woollen sweaters? I am mainly using ebay, but can anyone suggest another online store for better winter gear?

HELP!!! Thanks!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have seen a lot of really cute Wellies in different colors and patterns. They are definitely waterproof. You can also get some cute but serviceable weatherproof boots at Lands End online. Don't Uggs have a lot of choices these days?

As for the cold, dress in layers. Buy ski underwear, the kind that is very thin so you can even wear it under a dress or leggings. Ski pants could substitute as leggings. They have tops and bottoms, sleeveless and with sleeves. I used to work in NYC years ago and it is very windy, so hat, gloves and scarf are mandatory. Maybe look at some NYC fashion blogs to see what people are wearing. They are having a blizzard at the moment and I think people are less concerned about looking cool than being cold!
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Layers, definitely! I bought some wool sweater cardigans from LandsEnd and they also sell long underwear which I stocked up on. I was in NYC a few weekends ago, it was super cold and now we're having a blizzard here in New Jersey.

Anyway, a long winter coat, ear warmers (ear muffs) or a hat, gloves, and boots. You want good walking type boots if you plan on taking subways since some of the subway stairs can be long, a pain to climb. I bought a pair from Columbia I love that are water proof too. February is definitely cold here.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I have seen a lot of really cute Wellies in different colors and patterns. They are definitely waterproof. You can also get some cute but serviceable weatherproof boots at Lands End online. Don't Uggs have a lot of choices these days?

As for the cold, dress in layers. Buy ski underwear, the kind that is very thin so you can even wear it under a dress or leggings. Ski pants could substitute as leggings. They have tops and bottoms, sleeveless and with sleeves. I used to work in NYC years ago and it is very windy, so hat, gloves and scarf are mandatory. Maybe look at some NYC fashion blogs to see what people are wearing. They are having a blizzard at the moment and I think people are less concerned about looking cool than being cold!

Thanks...just been reading some blogs...great idea...its just really hard to imagine what it will be like !!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
Layers, definitely! I bought some wool sweater cardigans from LandsEnd and they also sell long underwear which I stocked up on. I was in NYC a few weekends ago, it was super cold and now we're having a blizzard here in New Jersey.

Anyway, a long winter coat, ear warmers (ear muffs) or a hat, gloves, and boots. You want good walking type boots if you plan on taking subways since some of the subway stairs can be long, a pain to climb. I bought a pair from Columbia I love that are water proof too. February is definitely cold here.

Thanks so much!! Am I right in thinking that the hotels and clubs will be very warm? So I will be faced with having to strip off/change clothes!!??

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes but they have coat checks. Oh, I forgot to mention that you can should try Flickr for pics of NYC, especially now that everyone's going in to see the big tree at Rockefeller center. Maybe that'll help with clothing choices.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:36 am      Reply with quote
I"m from California but in Boston right now for the holidays, so I'm an alien like you are to this kind of weather.

The sweaters I have for CA weather work here too because EVERY where you go inside it's very toasty, so it's only outside that you need to be super warm.

Make sure to have some kind of hat because your head can get so cold. I'm wearing a beanie sort of beret. And scarfs are good too.

When it's not slushy you can wear nice boots but otherwise I'm wearing Ugg type boots, and I borrowed some snow boots.

Gloves are also essential. But like everyone says layer, because when you go in and out of buildings you want to strip down so you'll be comfy inside.

I was shopping at outlet mall yesterday and it was SO HOT inside the stores I kept having to go outside to cool off.

Your trip sounds really really fun!!!! I'm going to Martha's Vineyard today, it's very cool being here, you're going to have a blast!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Your down puffer coat sounds perfect, and I highly recommend cashmere and silk as thin layers that keep you warm but not too warm. During and just after a big storm, you'll want boots that come up most of the way to your knees (I had hefty Columbia snow boots), but other than that, I found that ankle boots or clogs were just fine. I also typically wore denim or corduroy pants with tall socks underneath. The best tall socks are made in France and Italy, though: wool on the outside and cotton on the inside!

Like everyone is saying, hats and scarves are great, and I especially like cashmere-lined leather gloves or mittens for keeping my hands warm. Macy's and other department stores have them and may ship to you. BTW, the main Macy's at Herald Square is gigantic and lots of fun to shop in. It's also easy to buy an extra scarf or shawl on the street in New York.

Have fun!

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |