Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cat Litter Nirvana!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all!

I am slammed with work as usual, and haven't had any free time to visit EDS (plus I have completely ignored my skin AND gained 23 lbs after my Armor thyroid was pulled from the market...talk about depressing!).

But ignoring my 8 cats is NOT an option, because they won't let me!! And in the process of catering to them and focusing on eliminating all cat related odor in my house, I discovered a few things I wanted to share with the EDS cat lovers.

1. Cat Litter
You name it, I have tried it....everything from newspaper litter, wheat litter, corn litter, clay clumping litter, clay non-clumping litter, etc. But I have FINALLY found the nearly perfect litter....too bad it is has the dumbest name imaginable, lol.

But Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Multi-Cat Scoopable is the most awesome litter I have tried in ALL my years of numerous cat ownership.
- No fragrance
- Super hard clumps
- 99.9% dust free
- Hypo-allergenic, contains no plant proteins
- All Natural
- Ideal for sifting/mechanical litter boxes
- Superior odor control

It is available at Petsmart for $15.99 for 40lbs, and beats the pants (or scoops!) off the Tidy Cat Premium scoopable litters.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754842

http://preciouscat.com/

2. Cat Litter Box
I have a diabetic cat who pees gallons (or so it seems) numerous times throughout the day. Plus he is big, and often pees over the sides of even the high-sided boxes. But then I discovered the Whisker City Jumbo Two Compartment Litter Pan. It is HUGE!!! No more peeing over the sides because it is deep enough AND wide enough to accommodate Mr. Marmalade. Add the curved bottom, and there is no more scraping clumps out of corners. Woo hoo!

It is also available at Petsmart, and I can't say enough good things about this box!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217935&lmdn=Cat

3. Items I am testing
I am also testing the TimeMist Ozium odor eliminator system and the Gonzo Volcanic Rocks for odor absorption.

The Timemist system is used in hospitals and is approved by the FDA (which is fairly meaningless in my book). And the Gonzo rocks are apparently VERY popular with pot growers who have a legal interest in hiding the evidence of their crops, lol. And since they were raved about on various pot growing forums (which I got to by searching for odor elimination), I figured I would give them a shot too. Very Happy

HTH, and PM me if anyone has any questions! Smile

PS...Editing to add that I also purchased the NoseFridaSnot Sucker (yes, that IS the real name) from amazon.com for my cats. It is for human babies, but all of mine have flat faces with no sinus cavities (they are persians, himis, and exotics), and often are very congested. I can now remove the fluid (aka snot) in their nose when necessary, and have since seen a huge difference/decrease in their eye drainage.

http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=pd_cp_ba_1

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
bethany - we have missed seeing you around here. thanks for the litter tip - I am going to look into that for my little one. tried switching litter on her recently & she rebelled (made messes all over the place)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
bethany - we have missed seeing you around here. thanks for the litter tip - I am going to look into that for my little one. tried switching litter on her recently & she rebelled (made messes all over the place)

Foxe, I have missed being here as well!

What litter were you using, and what did you switch her to that she hated?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, I can relate to your part of the post regarding the amount of pee your diabetic cat can do. Frodo was also diabetic (God rest his soul) and this is what I used for a litter box. He also was 23 lbs so he needed something gigantic. He had use of the large and I bought the medium for the other cats. Since he has passed on I now use it in my garden shed for mixing up soil. This one is also easy to scoop out because of the curves. My HB thought I bought him a tub because I wanted something made with cement.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202086174/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany my friend. Thanks - I'll look for this litter. Very important to us Cat Ladies.
I've been wondering about you and thinking about you. Glad you've checked in here with us.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

We had been using Tidy Cats and switched to Fresh Steps. I know I should've made a gradual introduction for her, but didn't (I had no Tidy Cats left - kids will change it and not let me know of the inventory status!)

I suppose I'll need to introduce the new one slowly as well, just to be safe.

Frodo - my kitty is so little compared to yours - 23 lbs!! I have a 9 lb'er.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Mr Marmalade, the big, diabetic cat! I actually snorted tea out my nose. Laughing

If anyone feels so inclined, please keep posting your pet pictures to that other thread. I love them, and not a day goes by that I don't think of my old cat Toby. I'll try to find some digital pics.
My landlord has recently talked about getting a "mouser" which means I may have another to love soon. fingerscrossed

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
bethany wrote:

We had been using Tidy Cats and switched to Fresh Steps. I know I should've made a gradual introduction for her, but didn't (I had no Tidy Cats left - kids will change it and not let me know of the inventory status!)

I suppose I'll need to introduce the new one slowly as well, just to be safe.

Foxe, Fresh Step is VERY highly fragranced, and many cats won't use it. Tidy Cats also uses fragrance (cucumber melon to be exact), but it is at a much lower level.

The Precious Cat litter is fragrance free, so I doubt you will have any issues from a usage standpoint.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Bethany, I can relate to your part of the post regarding the amount of pee your diabetic cat can do. Frodo was also diabetic (God rest his soul) and this is what I used for a litter box. He also was 23 lbs so he needed something gigantic. He had use of the large and I bought the medium for the other cats. Since he has passed on I now use it in my garden shed for mixing up soil. This one is also easy to scoop out because of the curves. My HB thought I bought him a tub because I wanted something made with cement.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202086174/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Frodo, thanks for sharing! I am going to check that out the next time I need another box...expecially since it is half the cost of the Petsmart one!

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your find on the kitty litter, Bethany. I can't believe how inexpensive it is for 40lbs! It's waaaaay less than what we are currently paying. Hopefully we will be able to find it tomorrow. Smile
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Multi-Cat Scoopable. It is indeed better than Tidy Cat. But sometime when Tidy cat on sale, I will buy the Tidy Cat and mix half and half with Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat.

I have two cats. Holly came to my deck 13 years ago. Then she became an indoor cat. Oldie appeared on my deck a year ago. He has been staying outside till last September. He was so sick. He stayed in the hospital for 13 days. The vet. told me that it was a miracle that he could make it. Now he weights 15 lbs. I took him to have blood test after 3 months. The staffs and Vet. were amazed how healthy Oldie looks, but overweight.

Bethany, I remember you only has 4 cats when I accidentally read one of the threads. Then, I think you has six, and now you have 8. How can you handle all of them? I enjoy looking at all your cat photos.

I also enjoy looking at all other cat photos which posted by the forum friends. Thank you!

I learn a lot from TheCatSite.com. There is wealth of information there about cats.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, bethany!
We are using Tidy Cat right now and it's not the best, I have to say. I will definitely give Dr. Elsey's a try! Very Happy
taligator
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany -

Have you ever used any of the scoopable pine litters? We've been using the Feline Fresh and think it's fantastic for odor control.

I do find it dusty and sometimes the cat comes out of her box with a skunk stripe from head to toe!

I've only got the one cat but we have to share the bathroom with her litter pan and it's in our bedroom (the bathroom) so we need it to not smell at all.

I'm always searching for the perfect litter. I hate dealing with smells and litter on the floor.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I use mostly 2 brands but they're not clay-based.

I haven't used clay-based litter for 2 reasons:

a . Clay is unfortunately not biodegradable so it just piles up in waste dumps. Also, they use strip mining to get the clay and sodium bentonite so it does have a high environmental impact
Here's a bit of info on the environmental impact of litter:

http://nydogsworld.com/articles.aspx

http://www.ewg.org/files/petsfortheenvironment/cleoscatlittertips.pdf

b. I have a bunny, and sometimes he likes to jump into the cat's litter. No matter how "dust free" they claim to be, they're still too dusty for a small bunny

My 2 usual brands are "Swheat scoop" (wheat based) and "Nature's miracle" (corn based) so far I'm quite happy with both! I like Nature's miracle a bit better and the name here in Canada is "PC Green litter" which can be bought at any loblaws.

For my rabit's litter (my rabbit is litter trained so he roams free around the house all day) I use "Yesterday's news" which is paper-based (made of recycled newspaper)

I still haven't given up on the idea of toilet-training my cat... has anyone tried it?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Loving Dr. Elsey's... A winner!!!! Thank you Bethany from Simba - my darling, yet particularly fussy male cat. AKA: the lion king ....

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:24 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Hi all!

1. Cat Litter
You name it, I have tried it....everything from newspaper litter, wheat litter, corn litter, clay clumping litter, clay non-clumping litter, etc. But I have FINALLY found the nearly perfect litter....too bad it is has the dumbest name imaginable, lol.

Bethany (or others who have tried this litter), I have a friend that uses this kind of litter but has had problems with the additives they put in the litter. She's not allergic to clay but to whatever else (fragance, etc.) they put.

Would you say that this would be a good recommendation for her to try?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |