Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamin C serum and blackheads
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I've only been using my Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic for about three weeks on one side of my face. I noticed this morning that that side has more blackheads. The other side, where I've continued using skinbiology's LacSal looks fine.

I don't know if this matters, but as of three weeks ago I switched sides but had used Mismo ACE serum on the now clear side and LacSal on the now CE Ferulic side.

It's a mystery!
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I also found that I got blackheads (in strange places where I normally do not get them) when I used Vitamin C serum at 20% or when I used to much at one time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I think glycolic acid peels would be better at removing blackheads
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have found out that if you use Clarisonic, which does a deep clean, when you apply vitamin C, it can give you blackheads if you apply a lot on.

I was told that you have to apply vitamin C very lightly and that is enough.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
This seems strange to me. Isn't Vit C an acid? You'd think it would clean out the pores. Now I'm wondering if I should abort my half face experiment and use LacSal and Vit CE ferulic on alternate nights to see if that solves the problem.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Quite a few people have reported black heads when using a C serum. Not sure why that is though.. would be interested in finding out why also

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Quite a few people have reported black heads when using a C serum. Not sure why that is though.. would be interested in finding out why also

I also don't understand this phenomenon. Blackheads are essentially pores that fill up with sebum and debris and that which is exposed to the air turns black - thereby causing a blackhead. Why would Vitamin C clog up the pores more than anything else?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:36 am      Reply with quote
A couple of articles I have found talk about how blackheads are different from pimples and are caused by oxidation. Hmmm... and we all know C oxidizes

http://www.cleanstart.dermalogica.com/us/skinissues/24_article_myth_blackheads_are_dirt_inside_my_pores_.html

Just a thought...

My blackheads went away as soon as I lowered the C strength and applied a very thin application. I no longer use the LAA form of C, my skin just could not tolerate it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:47 am      Reply with quote
oh wow, thank goodness, I honestly thought I was going alittle crazy.

I have mainly dry skin, never get pimples. never had acne (very very lucky) never suffered from blackheads.
so.. imagine my horror when checking my skin in my 5x magnifying glass to discover two blackheads on my nose Shock and two on my cheek Shock

I can't stand blackheads..they are so my pet hate!!!

what makes this interesting is I just starting using a Vit C + firming serum about 4 weeks ago? I am really liking it too! but not if it gives me blackheads!

how could this be? it doesn't make sense?
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Bermie,
What % vitamin C is in your serum?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 am      Reply with quote
it's 12%..

does it make a differnce?
feya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 am      Reply with quote
OMG, I am so happy I read this topic. I thought I am the only one whose skin does not "perform" well with vit C. Mine just feels "greasy" and "not clean" after the application. Makes me wonder...
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Bermie,
I think it does. When I went from 20% to 15% it made a difference. But for other reasons I stopped topical C.

Feya, lot's of people love the LAA serums. It just made I skin red and dry. If you want to keep using a C serum, try Tetra-C. Very easy on the skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I love the feel of it, it goes on beautifully,leaves my skin feeling silky,I really like it, that is why I will be very disappointed if I have to stop?

I used to use Paula's Choice Antioxidant serum which I believe has Vit c in it and I never had this problem. I'm not sure what to do, PC was really nice too. But I thought I would be better with a straight Vit C

any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you could try one of the Vitamin C Powders that you mix into a serum or cream on a daily basis. I'm currently using Osmosis Vitamin C Powder (there are others such as Philosophy) and I'm just mixing it with another anti-oxidant serum. I love it.

I'm still not sure why Vitamin C should cause blackheads - in theory, any serum might oxidise on the skin and cause blackheads.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I might try that one.
erg wrote:

Feya, lot's of people love the LAA serums. It just made I skin red and dry. If you want to keep using a C serum, try Tetra-C. Very easy on the skin.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Do you think C serums are like copper peptides in that you should start with the lowest concentration then build up over time?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've always had problems with blackheads and acne, so I have not noticed an increase of blackheads. I use RetinA at night and it does it job.

Vitamin C clearly made beautiful improvement to my skin.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
My Cosmetic Skin Solutions has 15% vitamin C. I will use up the bottle because I dermaroll once a month so have to use only that at night for the first five days. Then I will go back to my half face in conjunction with LacSal. I've just started a Clairsonic Mia, so I'll see if that makes a difference with blackheads.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:38 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
My Cosmetic Skin Solutions has 15% vitamin C. I will use up the bottle because I dermaroll once a month so have to use only that at night for the first five days. Then I will go back to my half face in conjunction with LacSal. I've just started a Clairsonic Mia, so I'll see if that makes a difference with blackheads.

You have to apply very lightly with vitamin C, after using our Clarisonic.
lulu68
5% products discount

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I made a DIY Vit C (20%) and used it for 3 days - today I look in my magnifying mirror and there were blackheads everywhere! I was stunned, I've had clogged pores for a long time but they've never been black like this. It actually reminded me of the time I used a self tan lotion on my face (except it was worse). I've just started some new things - for approx. two weeks I've been doing OCM once a day and one week with CP's but I really couldn't see that these would turn my clogged pores black - they had been improving. Then it struck me that my skin started looking blotchy on Sat - the first day I started with the Vit C serum. Now I've done a search I see that this seems to be a common problem with C serums. I think I'll let myself settle into the OCM & CP's and maybe try again in a couple of months with a weaker strength C serum and see how that goes.

I think I'll use my remaining DIY C on my hands.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Skincare"]I have found out that if you use Clarisonic, which does a deep clean, when you apply vitamin C, it can give you blackheads if you apply a lot on.

I was told that you have to apply vitamin C very lightly and that is enough.[/quote]

Thanks for the information!
A while back I tried my first Vit C (Skinceutical aox 10+) and after giving it a few weeks try, my face had blackheads that were never there before (except when I had HUGE breakouts a couple years ago). Being scared of another bad breakout , I stopped using the serum.
I also use a Clarisonic and did not know that if I apply a lot of vit C if can give me blackheads! Just a quick question, when you say "a lot" of vit C, do you mean more than 3 drops of vit C? I used 2-3 drops and maye I'm using too much?
I would love to use the remainder of my serum (I kept mine in the fridge) to help prevent further skin aging.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I still have some in the fridge and am thinking of using it on my arms. No worrying about blackheads and I'm curious to see if it will reduce crepey texture.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
My blackheads went away when i use the deep cleansing mask and the massage cream... and in a few days ,,,it comes back again......
helenmoore

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 am      Reply with quote
I didn’t know vitamin c serum gives you black heads. This is interesting to hear.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |