Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Obagi Nu derm Virgin needs help :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm an Obagi virgin, & D-I-Y-er, currently only on day 2.

As I forgot (oops) to do a patch test with the hydroquinone, I missed the blender & tretinoin step last night, so as not to confuse the issue if my skin reacted - so can anyone tell me if it's normal to get redness, mild itching etc just from a day of using clear, exfoderm forte, & sunfader?

It's not major, just feels like mild sunburn, but I was surprised to get it so fast, & without the retin-A added in

Can anyone help?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
It is normal to get the redness. This is normally from the Exfoderm, and also the Clear. Be careful with the itching and watch closely. Many people have had a reaction to the Sunfader. I would recommend dropping that and getting a physical sunscreen if you have any issues.
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote
thanks Rileygirl - I think you're right - the Sunfader was the step this morning that made me bright red & burning - though isn't this what the system does anyway? I'll leave it out for a while I think - thanks for the reply Smile
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 am      Reply with quote
is it ok just to use the spf 35 from the starter kit, & leave the sunfader alone?
MsClearskin
5% products discount

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 am      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
is it ok just to use the spf 35 from the starter kit, & leave the sunfader alone?

Yes its ok to leave alone and just use the spf 35.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:

Most definitely! Any good SPF 30 or higher sunscreen (preferably physical, as it seems to work better with Nu Derm rather than chemical) is good.
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Well it's day 4 now, & leaving out the Sunfader's made a big difference to how on-fire my skin feels during the day Smile

I'm getting a lot of itching round the edges of my nose, so I've started putting Eucerin round it as a barrier against the tretinoin - is it ok to get clear & exfoderm forte round here, or should I block them too?

I look like a tomato, & have started to flake a little around the lower half of my face - so here comes the ugly phase I guess Shock

hehe - am a teacher too so the comments from the students'll be fun... Laughing
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dianew,
Eucerin was definitely a must-have during my Obagi days. You can use the Clear and Exfoderm around your nose, if you want to. Just use the eucerin where you want to create a barrier. I also tried to protect the corners of my mouth.

**I can only imagine what the kids will say!! Smile

5% products discount

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
Well it's day 4 now, & leaving out the Sunfader's made a big difference to how on-fire my skin feels during the day Smile

I'm getting a lot of itching round the edges of my nose, so I've started putting Eucerin round it as a barrier against the tretinoin - is it ok to get clear & exfoderm forte round here, or should I block them too?

I look like a tomato, & have started to flake a little around the lower half of my face - so here comes the ugly phase I guess Shock

hehe - am a teacher too so the comments from the students'll be fun... Laughing

Awe!! Just think about the end results Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I read on one thread or another (may've been on another site) that you're supposed to avoid saunas, hot baths & showers while using Obagi - I think for the first 6 weeks... can anyone confirm or deny this? Is it just because it'd dry your skin out even more?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
I read on one thread or another (may've been on another site) that you're supposed to avoid saunas, hot baths & showers while using Obagi - I think for the first 6 weeks... can anyone confirm or deny this? Is it just because it'd dry your skin out even more?

I hadn't heard that. I always took showers the first six weeks -- no harm done as far as I can tell.

Perhaps the hear from saunas or baths may make your face uncomfortable since it's a bit more sensitive at first??

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
thanks kims - good to know :)it'd be nice to relax a bit in one tomorrow if it doesn't irritate my face

day 5 & i'm not peeling like a snake yet, & have started to look rather tanned, as opposed to just bright red... though the reverse-raccoon white eye circles are reeeeally less than attractive Laughing

feels like there's an awful long way to go yet... how long did people find their starter kit products lasted for? what runs out first? I'm just using a pea-size amount of everything (except the Sunfader, which I've left alone since day 2)
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, having that "tanned" look is pretty normal. I also remember having a kind of "plastic" look to my skin -- usually right before I started peeling.

You might want to take a look and see if you're using the right amount of product. You can check guidelines here at EDS. Click on Obagi where the products are for sale. I'm pretty sure you need to be using more than a pea-sized amount -- uusally 1/2-1 gram of product per application. This will seem like A LOT of product, but it's what you need. That said, a container of Clear should last about a month.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the reply kims - guess it's time to up the dosage then now I've dipped my toe in without any huge allergic reactions Smile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Keep us posted as to your progress!

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Im new to Obagi and on my 5th day with the Nuderm system and now concerned. I keep hearing to see a derm but I havnt Embarassed Im wanting to continue and just follow instructions ive been doing, 1/2 gram for all products and as booklet says for when to do them. I really hope theres help for the new girl cause im worried. I have heard different things for clear but i still use 1/2 gram tretinoin i do the same. Should i continue until i get to the doc and can this be done without an office visit? Thanks Smile
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sammy Smile yay, someone else at the same stage as me - I'm on day 7 & am doing this on my own as well - tho a derm did recommend it to me first (I'd never heard of it til then!)

Are you getting side effects, is that why you're worried? Or is it just from reading other people's posts? I've been doing that too, & some people's reactions can be scary Shock

Have you used anything like this before? I'm a total newbie but there are loads of experienced posters on here - I'm so glad I found this site!

Are you doing the regimen daily, or a more gentle approach?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:58 am      Reply with quote
sammy6578 wrote:
Im new to Obagi and on my 5th day with the Nuderm system and now concerned. I keep hearing to see a derm but I havnt Embarassed Im wanting to continue and just follow instructions ive been doing, 1/2 gram for all products and as booklet says for when to do them. I really hope theres help for the new girl cause im worried. I have heard different things for clear but i still use 1/2 gram tretinoin i do the same. Should i continue until i get to the doc and can this be done without an office visit? Thanks Smile

Hi Sammy,
Take heart! I did Obagi without the help of a derm or plastic surgeon. No one in my area even carried the products! I did, however, stay in contact with an esthetician at a medical spa.

I found EDS by chance and everyone here was extremely helpful -- especially Rileygirl! I think people recommend seeing a professional first is because this is a serious treatment! And, like Diane said, some of the side effects can be a bit scary and uncomfortable.

Just like you, I followed the directions on the pamphlet and stayed in touch with the forum almost on a daily basis.

Keep us posted as to your progress! And if you do have an opportunity to visit a derm, it's probably not going to hurt! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Well, it's day 8 for me & the pain's really started! I made the mistake of doing some face exercises yesterday (why? why?) & was rewarded today with huge scaly flakes around my mouth all day. Attractive or what... skin v sore & tender where it's flaking off - wonder what the creams'll feel like tonight going on? Shock Shock Might be a bit sparing in that area

I'm wondering about sun protection too... I work indoors, U put it on in the morning, but what about where the flakes/scabs peel off? Won't that be unprotected? & more vulnerable as it's new pink skin? Had a v burning face all afternoon, & started getting paranoid about being near a window on a sunny (if cold) day

How often do people reapply if you're not out in it?
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I only applied once per day while on work day. I have office job too. Do we have to reapply even though we are in the office?? I don't know..that is a good queston??? Can somebody answer for this?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi Diane,
If your skin gets sore and really irritated (especially around the mouth and nose) you can use a bit of Aquaphor. It definitely was a staple when I was doing full Nuderm.

About the sunscreen, I usually only applied in the morning as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kim

I've been applying aquaphor (that is the same as Eucerin in the uk right?) on the corners of my mouth & nose, so those bits are ok... if I apply if to the maze of cracks below my mouth & on my chin, won't that derail the treatment?

It's v sore, tho not actually bleeding (!) though I might take a night off the blender & tret & rejoin the programme tomorrow, see if it's calmed down...

this is my first time using this kind of product so am taking it slow...
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think taking it slow is a good idea. On places (like your chin) I wouldn't apply the products if it's really sore and irritated.

Way to be tough! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
well, day 9 nearly done, & I still look like a lizard from the nose down - the other women in my dept think I've got a screw loose for doing this to myself Smile

decided to apply the products last night after all, but a bit less, & only a little on the most cracked areas - I figured I've got to get used to it, & using a bit less product'd be more effective than a night off

I played it safe with sunscreen tho - took it into work & reapplied after major flaking in the pm...
I look about 50 years old now (I'm 42), so am glad I've read other people's posts & know all this is normal or I'd be freaking out about all the deepened lines around my eyes:)

Can anyone tell me if it's normal to start up burning as the day wears on? It seems to come on in the afternoon - maybe I'm rubbing my face without realising it or something... does the burning just come & go, rather than just burning when you apply the product?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I remember my face getting hotter AND redder as the day wore on. I think for a lot of us, it's pretty normal...

And, so is that looking way older than you really are, for awhile Confused

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |