Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dehydrated vs. dry skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Another topic I read brought up this question... How can you even tell the difference? Don't both conditions result in patchy and tight skin? Also, what are the different kind of treatments available for either, if any
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Dry skin is cause by not having enough oils in the skin, and dehydrated skin is from not having enough water in the skin.

Therefore a healthy looking skin should have balanced water and oil
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
But I'm wondering how a person can even tell the difference?
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Dehydrated skin can be flaky, tight and oily all at the same time. The water/oil imbalance causes skin to over produce oil to compensate.

Dry skin is basically non-oily. Smile
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
And what can you recommend for dehydrated skin? I've tried dermalogica's skin hydrating booster, but it hasn't quite worked for me
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Dryness vs dehydration can be difficult to tease apart, partly because they're intertwined: skin lacking a good lipid layer on the surface will have a hard time holding onto water, but it is certainly possible to be oily and dehydrated at the same time.

The dermalogica looks like a HA-glycerin-panthenol-based serum good for oily skin. To up the ante, and if you suspect dehydration, a water-based serum/lotion texture should help (and they often contain silicones which help form a barrier to keep moisture in, such as Olay Regen serum). If that's not enough, then your skin may be truly dry and may need a moisturizer containing non-fragrant oils or butters.

Another thing that would help in either case is a humidifier.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest trying hyaluronic acid serums. They definitely boost the moisture in my skin and fill in the fine lines.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
I would suggest trying hyaluronic acid serums. They definitely boost the moisture in my skin and fill in the fine lines.

I have tried them. They are found in dermalogica's hydrating booster as I previously mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it was the cause of my milia bumps for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again down the road, but any good brand recommendations?
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am using the one from PSF Berry Beneficial Antioxidant Serum. Pretty good results for me. Its just HA and fruit antioxidants. Looking at the
Dermalogica I wonder if the panthenol was the problem along with the lavender?

I also ordered some HA serum from true_minerals from ebay. I have not tried it yet as it got lost in the mail or something so they are sending me another one. Otherwise, the prices are very good and the products not overwhelmed with too much stuff.

I am trying to fix my dry/dehydrated skin with HA serum and antioxidants serums. So far so good but it's only been two weeks.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
^ does PSF stand for something? I can't seem to find it on google
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 am      Reply with quote
They sell it on the EDS site. But you should just try the HA serum only so you know exactly what ingredient your skin can handle. I have sensitive skin and I didn't have a problem with the Berry Antioxidant.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Anti-wrinkle-serum-HYALURONIC-ACID-HA-60-matrixyl-3000-/220588788772?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item335c1dcc24#ht_5206wt_1141

TrueMinerals from ebay. Prices are very reasonable. http://babyfaceskincare.blogspot.com/.
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I like PSF line. Good moisture
havana8

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
^ does PSF stand for something? I can't seem to find it on google

PSF = Pure Skin Formulations http://www.psfskincare.com/

In case this is helpful:

Frequent Acronyms http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3228

Smile
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 am      Reply with quote
you get try B5 gel from skinceutical or Hyaluronic Acid Serum for dehydrated skin
jerek07

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
Dehydration of the skin is a loss of water through the elements like wind and sun. Moisture evaporates rapidly through the skin. Some signs of this are tightness, those dreaded fine lines, a lack of radiance, and loss of elasticity. Once this damage occurs, the skin will no longer be a good barrier against the environment.Dry skin can be genetic, but it's more likely to be brought on by harsh Chemicals that are used in commercial soaps and body cleansers. They strip the natural oils that are there to help the skin absorb moisturizer.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Doesn't dry skin create tightness and fine lines too?
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 am      Reply with quote
one of the best products for dehyrated skin is Sum37's Waterfull line. Amazing beyond words!

http://www.joseibi.com/?p=2665

http://hopeinablog.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/more-more-more-new-lgs-sum-37-products/
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Dry and dehydrated skin go hand in hand with me. I have chronically dry skin, which pretty much comes from my genetics.

The outermost layer of my skin is naturally so thick and horny that it has a hard time holding water/hydration.

Exfoliating and taking a vitamin A supplement has helped a lot. I also think this is the reason why accutane was so effective for my skin because it caused my skin to exfoliate so much that my skin (all over my body) was actually more hydrated and smooth, soft, etc. while I was on it.

I've also found that the best moisturizers are those that cause your skin to self-moisturize by producing it's own ceramides. I've found that lactic acid, honey, aloe vera, flax seeds, and herbs like marshmallow and burdock all do this.
misspisces
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
sakura wrote:

I have tried them. They are found in dermalogica's hydrating booster as I previously mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it was the cause of my milia bumps for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again down the road, but any good brand recommendations?

Interesting. I'm using dermalogica's hydrating booster and find that it really makes a huge difference for my skin. However, I only use the booster in the area that's tight and dehydrated (not all over). I haven't developed any type of bumps / congestion, but again, I only use it in the area that I need it for.
goddesslynne

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
You might like DermaQuest's B5 serum. It contains B5 which is a humectant and 40% hyaluronic acid. I use it and it feels a little sticky upon application, but after I use my other products and sunscreen my skin feels amazing.
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 am      Reply with quote
Dry skin and dehydrated skin are not the same, but most people misdiagnose their skin this way because both feel tight, rough, and uncomfortable. Dry skin results from inadequate levels of oils deposited on the surface from the sebaceous glands, while dehydration results from a lack of water in the skin.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I have dehydrated skin. Its an oil slick, but flaking off at the same time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
SecretB5StopsAcne wrote:
......while dehydration results from a lack of water in the skin.

Hi SecretB5StopsAcne,

Any way to replenish dehydrated skin?
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I thought my skin was getting drier but now I realize it's actually dehydrated. There's still plenty of oil in my skin but it looks and feels dry - and living in a dry climate does not help the situation.

I have been using Moisture Surge from Clinique which helps but I will be looking for a serum to try.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I think for dehydrated skin correct diet makes all the difference. Lots of fresh fruit and veg and fish plus lots of water.

If your skin is already oily don't apply additional oils, stick to products containing ingredients such as glycerin, hylaluronic acid or dimethicone but in small amounts.

These products might be exfoliating lotions or antioxidant serums but with the added humectants and barrier protection.

Also use Retin A as it's provden to increase Glycosaminoglycans, which are the water holding components in the dermal layers of the skin.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |