Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Alpha Hydrox Souffle
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I just recently got this product but when I put it on, I realize that it's not hydrating enough. Would it be okay to put a moisturizer on top of it or would it compromise its exfoliating effects?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
AHA's work on exfoliating the upper most layer of (dead) skin, so should be applied as a final step in your nightly regime.

If you need extra moisture, you can apply moisturizer (or a fatty oil) 15 or 20 minutes before the AHS. (Coconut oil is excellent BTW!)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Hmm well I use a pretty thick moisturizer (cetaphil's moisturizing cream) and I'm wondering if this would impede the effects of AHS
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 am      Reply with quote
According to the product instructions, AHS should be applied first - followed by a moisturiser.

How To Use:
Cleanse with Alpha Hydrox Nourishing Cleanser and apply a sheer layer of Alpha Hydrox AHA Soufflé to face and neck (do not rinse off). Follow with Alpha Hydrox Sheer Silk Moisturizer with SPF15 (daytime) or Night Replenishing Cream or Oxygenated Moisturizer (evening).

http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/product-details.aspx?iid=78

That is usually the protocol for Retin-A too - acid followed by moisturiser. If you apply a moisturiser first, this will buffer the effects of the acid.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:01 am      Reply with quote
re-posting for quickguide90012

quickguide90012 wrote:
I use alpha hydrox souffle 12 percent glycolic acid. I also use aloe vera gel moisturizer and use sunscreen. I just wanted to know is that the CORRECT ORDER of the steps to apply?

I always applied it this way which was the cream, then moisturizer and then sunscreen. But i just read that you are suppose to put moisturizer first and then the cream?

And sunscreen is ALWAYS LAST RIGHT?

I read in a post here that since its an AHA, then it has to be applied last? Does that mean it would be moisturizer, then sunscreen and then the AHA? Would doing it my way make the AHA useless since the moisturizer and sunscreen go over it?
jennalba

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Moisturizer is always last...just wait 15 min or so to let the AHA work in... Smile
jennalba

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 am      Reply with quote
oops..before the sunscreen!
As a trained esthetician...this is what I was taught..
Purify
Tone
Treat
Moisturize
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! But I'm not sure if adding sunscreen after AHA would be a good idea. Not that I have any proof, but I feel that the actives in the sunscreen may interfere with the AHA.. that's just my intuition though Razz
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I think oas you should still wear your sunscreen on top. It won't comprimise the aha. Or wear the aha at night.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 am      Reply with quote
quickguide90012 wrote:
I use alpha hydrox souffle 12 percent glycolic acid. I also use aloe vera gel moisturizer and use sunscreen. I just wanted to know is that the CORRECT ORDER of the steps to apply?

I always applied it this way which was the cream, then moisturizer and then sunscreen. But i just read that you are suppose to put moisturizer first and then the cream?

And sunscreen is ALWAYS LAST RIGHT?

I read in a post here that since its an AHA, then it has to be applied last? Does that mean it would be moisturizer, then sunscreen and then the AHA? Would doing it my way make the AHA useless since the moisturizer and sunscreen go over it?

quickguide90012 you are applying your products correctly. Sunscreen is always applied last. Unless the AHA bothers you I suppose you could use another moisturizer underneath as a buffer if your skin is more on the drier side.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I think oas you should still wear your sunscreen on top. It won't comprimise the aha. Or wear the aha at night.

Yeah I will only wear the aha at night. But I'm also confused as to why adding moisturizer on top of the AHA won't buffer it as well? Doesn't it just get mixed up in the end?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

Yeah I will only wear the aha at night. But I'm also confused as to why adding moisturizer on top of the AHA won't buffer it as well? Doesn't it just get mixed up in the end?

You can leave a wait time between the AHA and the moisturiser. This will give time for the acid to do its job - wait 30 mins then apply moisturiser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
From Neoteric, the manufacturer of AlphaHydrox Souffle:

How To Use:

Cleanse with Alpha Hydrox Nourishing Cleanser and apply a sheer layer of Alpha Hydrox AHA Soufflé to face and neck (do not rinse off). Follow with Alpha Hydrox Sheer Silk Moisturizer with SPF15 (daytime) or Night Replenishing Cream or Oxygenated Moisturizer (evening).

http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/product-details.aspx?iid=78

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Oh and how often should I be using this? Definitely not every night right?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:14 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Oh and how often should I be using this? Definitely not every night right?

I think that depends on your skin's tolerance, I had no problem with using the Walgreens AHA daily under sunscreen and Green Cream #9 every night. I started back sometime around a month ago on Retin A 0.025% every other night and bumped up to every night after less than 2 weeks, but I have always had really tolerant skin! I have read of others with issues using the AHA daily, and same for the milder Green Cream #3. Obviously many can't jump into Retin A that fast and not have side effects of red, dry, peeling skin. You just have to take it at a pace your skin tolerates. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I think that depends on your skin's tolerance, I had no problem with using the Walgreens AHA daily under sunscreen and Green Cream #9 every night. I started back sometime around a month ago on Retin A 0.025% every other night and bumped up to every night after less than 2 weeks, but I have always had really tolerant skin! I have read of others with issues using the AHA daily, and same for the milder Green Cream #3. Obviously many can't jump into Retin A that fast and not have side effects of red, dry, peeling skin. You just have to take it at a pace your skin tolerates. Smile

Oh i see, so there's no actual schedule for using it. But do you use it when you start noticing impurities or use it just enough to not cause any sensitivities
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Be assured oasis that you will get some skin irritation with this product line. In that case back off on your use to every other night for about 2 weeks until you can tolerate it. Its a hit and miss thing.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I applied it to just part of my chin last night and it was BURNING! Only for about 5 minutes though.. but I'm really scared to put this on my whole face... do you think I should slowly add it to parts of my face to ease off the pain a bit? Also, would it be better to put a light moisturizier on top or a heavy one?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |