Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How much do you think diet influences your skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
So many "experts" claim that diet has no effect on the skin at all unless you have an allergy. And I have seen people who eat without discretion and still have beautiful skin... What do you guys think? Is diet really that important for skin health?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I do think diet is important to over all skin health but alot has to do with genetics too.

Also I think if someone has a bad diet that they may not really see that show on their skin for many many many years.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Diet is very important. The effects of a bad diet are not going to show initially and when you're young you can ride it out easier. (Like drinking too much or smoking - the effects aren't obvious right away). And the young body manages the stress of bad processed food etc for a while but there's a limit.
The long term effects start internally - the liver, the other body systems start wearing and eventually what has been created or done to the inside is going to show on the outside.

A good book for this is "The High School Reunion Diet". It's not a diet but a wonderful guideline on how, why , etc a bad diet harms us.... It is designed by a team of phsyicians and a nutritionist with the actual writing by a very well-informed dermatologist. The entire premise of the book is how the effect of a great diet can make your face younger, your entire being younger without botox,e tc. (just in time for your class reunion.

Good nutrition matters.
Genetics helps with everything but a bad diet will effect everyone in one way or another. Your body needs good protein, good fats, collagen sources etc. Bad food ups negative outcomes in every way: (Inflammation, immune response, break-outs, healing, clarity of the skin, etc etc.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
@sister sweets

Thanks for the book referral! I'm definitely gonna check that out. I honestly had no idea that diet could have so much influence that derms would get together and write a book about it Very Happy
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a wonderful example of how diet can make you look better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TR8FyZ75l4
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I think a lot of what we eat affects our skin. For instance, getting lots of beta-carotenes in your diet is known to make skin slightly yellower and, a study indicates, more attractive.

And there's this fascinating article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-a_b_822163.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:

Holy cow! That is amazing lol
I think she needs to write a book or something, that is insane
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am      Reply with quote
i think things that will made ur skin look great would be: (in order)

1. genetically
2. diet
3. skin care
4. enviornment
5. exercise

when i eat more veggie, my skin really looks better !!
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:

Oh my god, she looks better then me!
I do beleive that what you eat effects your skin, and the way you feel.

What do you all think of caffeine and the skin, I am highly addicted to drinking about 4 mugs of strong tea aday I really want to give up, could this be hindering my results?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I agree that diet really important for skin health.for example Angelica dates
are all helpful for skin health.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:57 am      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
SoftSkin wrote:

Oh my god, she looks better then me!
I do beleive that what you eat effects your skin, and the way you feel.

What do you all think of caffeine and the skin, I am highly addicted to drinking about 4 mugs of strong tea aday I really want to give up, could this be hindering my results?

Well the safe recommended daily dose of caffeine is around 300 mg. If you're going over this, then it is most likely affecting your health, if not your skin, in some way.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:

Beautiful woman! As I understood she is on vegan raw food diet.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
SoftSkin wrote:

Holy cow! That is amazing lol
I think she needs to write a book or something, that is insane

Her book is due out May 2011 and is called "Live Raw"
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am      Reply with quote
helenjean, you might want to try switching to green tea, which I think is supposed to be better for the skin, and overall health. I'm not a big caffeine addict but I haven't noticed any feeling of lack after I switched my morning tea from black to green. Or start with a cup of each if you drink that much.

And I notice a huge improvement in my overall look the day after having decent servings of broccoli, asparagus, spinach and sometimes carrots. Its actually been quite shocking to putter over to the mirror first thing in the morning only to see myself looking waaaaay better than I actually feel that early, lol!
I also notice that glow in the summer when consuming lots of fruit. You wonder why everyone seems to look so great in the summer - its being outside, sunshine, and eating such an abundance of fresh fruits & vegetables.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
thankyou Very Happy
yes i know its not helping, but i will try the green tea option first, i might gradually cut down then just drink green tea Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
helenjean, you might want to try switching to green tea, which I think is supposed to be better for the skin, and overall health. I'm not a big caffeine addict but I haven't noticed any feeling of lack after I switched my morning tea from black to green. Or start with a cup of each if you drink that much.

And I notice a huge improvement in my overall look the day after having decent servings of broccoli, asparagus, spinach and sometimes carrots. Its actually been quite shocking to putter over to the mirror first thing in the morning only to see myself looking waaaaay better than I actually feel that early, lol!
I also notice that glow in the summer when consuming lots of fruit. You wonder why everyone seems to look so great in the summer - its being outside, sunshine, and eating such an abundance of fresh fruits & vegetables.

I turn yellow if I eat a lot of broccoli, spinach and carrots Sad
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed if I stay away from sugar and eat plenty of raw foods it reflects on my face...skin is more translucent and glowy.

Love my coffee in the mornings too much to give up on that though! Just heard today 2 cups of coffee a day can help prevent a stroke...all the more reason to enjoy!! Very Happy
Luna_Mae

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I think diet is extremely important. From personal experience, shifts in my diet made a huge difference in my skin.

When I started eating a clean diet, I noticed much less acne flare-ups, an overall improved complexion, shinier hair and a healthy glow.

Adding daily or routine exericise can also greatly improve your skin (in combination with a healthy diet). Cardio, in particular, is especially helpful in aiding your body to sweat out impurities and improve overall circulation.

While each person varies, even little things can make a difference. I stopped eating/drinking dairy, and that in and of itself made a noticeable difference in my skin.

I would suggest to anyone, try substituting healthier things into your diet (water, coconut water or tea instead of soda or sugary drinks), cutting down (or out) on greasy fried food, sugars and starches, and increasing your daily intake of fresh organic fruits and veggies. (Artifical sugars not only turn into fat but also age your skin.)

Fresh fruit such as watermelon, melon, blueberries and strawberries are potent in antioxidants and are mostly water, so they aid in keeping your skin healthy and "plumping" it naturally.

If you suffer from acne, strawberries and oranges contain a lot of acid that can help. Also consider adding lemon juice to water or flavoring for meals. Also avoid dairy products & peanuts.

No matter how "healthy" a product claims to be, always read the full ingredients and check the side label for nutrition info. (If they are taking out something, they are usually replacing it with something else.)

Also consider taking a daily multi-vitamin supplement and oil (such as coconut oil, omegas or a daily spoon of olive oil) for better skin and hair.

Always be conscious of what you put in your body.

If you stick to it, all the little adjustments really can make a difference. After a lifetime of trial and error, I've figured out the things that work best for me. What you put into the inside will show on the outside. Trust me!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the rest of the members here while diet cannot automatically give you flawless skin and its frustrating how some people seem to eat every sort of junk food and still have great skin, it's important to remember that healthy skin is more than just what's on the outside.

I have noticed a great improvement ever since I started taking a multivitamin, antioxidants and oils such as omegas and EPO. I don't have to work as hard on my skin!

Oh and just like it was mentioned previously, green tea is WONDERFUL for your skin (and the rest of your body) plus it keeps you hydrated and in shape. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm so excited--I just found some decaf green and white tea! (I can't find it in France, and I'm super sensitive to caffeine.) Bottoms up! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Luna_Mae wrote:

If you suffer from acne, strawberries and oranges contain a lot of acid that can help. Also consider adding lemon juice to water or flavoring for meals. Also avoid dairy products & peanuts.

I've always wonered why acidic foods are good for acne/skin?

And I guess it could be a blessing in disguise that we can't eat just anything so we don't get fat and sluggish
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to dry drinking some green tea last night because of this thread and I'm not even joking...The fine lines under my eyes almost completely vanished. I scrutinize my face constantly so it was very easy to notice. Jeez, my diet must be absolutely horrendous if one cup of it had a great effect on me. However, I just took a shower so who knows how it looks now lol. But I'll definitely be drinking a cup a day for now.

Anyone else see such drastic rresults after one day of drinking green tea?
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Good news about Mimi Kirk having a book. She only shifted to raw food in the past few years so I am hoping she will have tips on how to make the transition easier in terms of food prep, because it can be very labor intensive.

In another interview she said that both she and her daughter went raw at the same time and after a year or so they noticed how great their skin looked. I figure her daughter is probably around 50. I hope there are before and after photos of both of them.

I love fish so I doubt I'll go vegan. I also cannot eat soy cuz I'm hypothyroid, so that limits me. Sugar is the biggest culprit for me.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
ilovefkmtnoses wrote:
I decided to dry drinking some green tea last night because of this thread and I'm not even joking...The fine lines under my eyes almost completely vanished. I scrutinize my face constantly so it was very easy to notice. Jeez, my diet must be absolutely horrendous if one cup of it had a great effect on me. However, I just took a shower so who knows how it looks now lol. But I'll definitely be drinking a cup a day for now.

Anyone else see such drastic rresults after one day of drinking green tea?

for some reason, drinking green tea made my face worse! I'm not sure if it's because my skin is purging or not, but I do notice that it's an immediate effect like how you experienced.. usually within a day or so
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I think what we eat reflects on our skin very much, as it reflects the health of the body in general.
I'm not at all keen on 'lots of fruit', I just seem to absorb the glucose in it and I blow up, gone through that,... yet I am very keen on lots of veggies, I don't blow up with them and when I increase the raw of veggies I can see a difference in my skin.
I read a book years ago by Leslie Kenton "Raw energy" and also "The Joy of Beauty" and there was a lot about eating raw and how it affects health, mood and therefore skin glow.
I also was vegetarian for about two years and a half, and my skin looked great, ... gradually slipped out of it, ... life, but I'm intending to take it up again.
About the green tea, I have noticed that if I take a cup during my meals for about three or four days, I lose weight without changing the meals!! So there seems to be quite interesting side effects to taking green tea!

Mimi kirk looks fabulous!!!! Surprised
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |