Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Just ordered MVO Moisturizing Face Screen SPF 30 (HELP)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if I could possibly get some insight from long-term users (or anyone who has used it in the past for an extended period of time).

I do understand that we all react differently to topical applications, but I just want a general consensus on this sunscreen. I'm extremely paranoid about what I put on my face nowadays, to the point where I'm not very confident in any preventive measures I take to ward off signs of aging, often times leaving me incapacitated and confused.

For the most part, I would like to hear about it's efficacy in preventing wrinkles. Secondly, this thing comes chock full of oils; most of them seem fine, however, I know some oils can be photo-sensitizing and I want to be damned sure this doesn't have any in it. I did try to do this on my own, but I'm not too sure if the lists I did encountered were thorough documentations of photo-sensitizing oils. Thirdly, the presence of tocopherol without vitamin c bothers me, however there is an oil contained within the formulation that had some; would that be sufficient to recycle the tocopherol? I know the best solution would be to combined this sunscreen with an antioxidant such as vitamin c, however, I'm relatively poor (I was only able to obtain this from my wonderfully awesome boyfriend. Funny story; he actually made me buy it because I've been really indecisive about what kind of sunscreen to use on my face lol). I absolutely DO NOT want to ask for anything else.

If anyone needs a refresher, I'm providing the list of ingredients:

Active Ingredient: 20.6 % non-nano zinc oxide

Camellia sinensis (green& white tea)
Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil)
Prunus armeniaca (apricot kernel oil)
Limnanthes alba (meadowfoam seed oil)
Helianthus annuus (sunflower oil)
emu oil
Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
vegetable glycerine
Elaesis guineensis (red palm oil)
Rubus idaeus (red raspberry seed oil)
lecithin
potassium sorbate
allantoin
Cosmocil CQ*
xanthan gum
mica
Hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn oil)
Calodendrum Capense (yangu oil)
Rosemary oleoresin
pearl powder
Daucus carota (carrot seed) essential oil
Cistus incanus (cistus) essential oil
Lonicera japonica (honeysuckle)
Helichrysum italicum (helichrysum) essential oil
iron oxides
spirulina (medium tint only).

Also, at least one of the oils contains vitamin A. Now would that automatically make it photo-sensitizing? Or since it's not synthetic, will it behave slightly different from, let's say, retinyl palmitate?

TL;DR: Is MVO effective at warding off wrinkles? Are the oils contained within this sunscreen safe and non-photosensitizing? Is the tocopherol (by itself, without the syngergism provided by vitamin c), ok?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the MVO face screen for almost a year now. You are asking some great questions.

First of all - does it prevent wrinkles? Does anything? I will have to say that I've not gotten any kind of a sunburn or even pinkishness when using this sunscreen, so I do think it prevents UV aging which causes wrinkles. Some of the EOs are known for anti-aging properties (cistus, helichrysum, carrotseed).

Does it contain vitamin C? I do use a DIY vitamin C serum under it (very cheap to make). I don't think any of the oils in MVO contain significant vit c...seabuckthorn may have a little.

Are any of the oils photo-sensitizing? Usually it is the citrus oils that have that issue. None of these are citrus oils. I've heard that natural oils with high vit A don't have the same photosensitive issue as retinyl palmitate.

I must say, I love this sunscreen. It covers as well or better than most foundations, plus has a great matte finish while being moisturizing. I don't burn when using it and it doesn't leave a white cast like other zinc sunscreens. Like other physical sunscreens, you should reapply every few hours if you are getting a lot of sun exposure.
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your prompt reply, ShastaGirl!

Haha, I know that question IS kind of dumb; there are several things that causes aging of the skin (smoking; which sadly, my boyfriend use to do all the time..., stress, irritating topicals, etc) which makes it kind of hard to gauge the efficacy of a sunscreen's effectiveness when the aforementioned conditions are prevalent in most people's lives. But it's awesome to hear that you haven't experienced any burning (which is mostly indicative of UVB, I'm pretty sure, but zinc oxide also has the capacity to screen out UVA really well, so I see how you came to that conclusion; If the efficacy of zinc oxide's UVB blocking capabilities are working, then its UVA blocking capabilities should be, too). Although, I've heard that some of the anti-inflammatory components of some sunscreens could actually mask such damage but...zinc has always been reliable :P Reapplication is a definite must.

Ah, yeah, I figured the oils might be lacking in the vitamin C department. I do plan on getting a vitamin c serum (although they're really expensive), but I'm a college student with no income of her own (thanks FAFSA) so it's not a viable option atm. I do see that a lot of people make their own but I'm afraid that I will not do it right...

That's great to hear! I'm glad that you've actually heard of that because it let's me know that I'm not the only one concerned about these problems. I would really like to do more research into that area just to make sure but hearing you say that gives me some confidence that I won't run into anything to disappointing or alarming lol.

BTW, I usually don't get a lot of exposure from the sun directly, however, I'm in 2 classes that use those cursed fluorescent lightbulbs. Do you think I should still reapply for those as well? I know the radiation isn't nearly as strong as the sun's rays but I hear there is concern.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oh interesting! I was planning to get this sunscreen to try out too!

BTW, why is it bad if a product contains Vit E but no Vit C? What'll happen if I don't apply a Vit C serum underneath it? Confused
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Oh interesting! I was planning to get this sunscreen to try out too!

BTW, why is it bad if a product contains Vit E but no Vit C? What'll happen if I don't apply a Vit C serum underneath it? Confused

Sorry for not providing any sources whatsoever (on my phone), not to mention this is all from my head (so take with a grain of salt) but when vitamin e neutralizes a free radical, it becomes a vitamin e free radical in the process. But when there is vitamin c present, it simply just recharges itself and is able to perform its antioxidant capabilities. Though, to be honest, I don't know what a vitamin e free radical really is but the term free radical is synonymous with damage so I'm a little worried. Howeverm I think the damage caused by a vitamin e free radical is substantially less damaging.
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
So...it came in today (a lot sooner than I thought it would). I wish I could be happy about its arrival, but I'm still not particularly certain about a lot of things. However, this is probably a byproduct of pessimism. It's just really hard to not scrutinize something going on your face nowadays...
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well, it is organic at least! Very Happy

Have you looked at the MVO blog? Maybe this will help with some of your questions: http://mvorganicsblog.com/

Also, while I have never emailed MVO, I have heard about others who have, perhaps you can email them your questions so that you can feel more comfortable. I've heard that they are very responsive to questions.
http://mvorganics.com/connect

I look at it this way - there is probably no ideal sunscreen, but some are better than others. This one doesn't have an excess of cruddy chemicals in it, is based on mostly natural ingredients and my skin loves it (no breakouts, rashes, etc). Devita is another excellent choice - I use that one too.

Give it a try - I think they have a pretty good return policy if you end up not liking it.

There are some really easy vit C recipes out there if you want to try them. Mix Tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate with any oil (10 parts oil, 1 part tetra): http://www.lotioncrafter.com/tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate-BV-OSC.html
Or get LAA powder and mix it with distilled water each morning. Both are fairly cheap and easy. PM me if you need help.
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
I sent an email yesterday, actually. I just couldn't wait for a reply lol. Plus, a second opinion is always good to hear.

Honestly, I'm only really concerned about the vitamin a contained within one or two (can't remember) of the oils. I've personally tried to research the matter deeper but I'm not coming up with much. Even though I have yet to come up with any answers, I'm still going to continue looking.

I think I'll take you up on that offer and send you a PM :3 Thank you~
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
This has been bothering me for a while today; maybe one of you can provide an answer.

So, I've read that if one is using a physical sunscreen, reapplying may not be necessary (you know, unless you perspire or are exposed to water). But then on some zinc oxide-only sunscreens I see the "reapply after 2 hours or after swimming, etc" advisory. Why is that? Are they mainly advising that because we may inadvertently wipe it off even if we're not perspiring or coming into contact with water? Or because too much of it has been absorbed into the skin, therefore the protective layer is weaker (I know zinc isn't SUPPOSE to pass through the skin if it's particle size is large but still).

If that's the case, then I guess I understand now. But if it's an issue of it losing its effectiveness then...I really don't know as much about zinc oxide than I thought :P Just want some clarification.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm just bumping this topic because I just recently read about this sunscreen and it seems to contain a lot of great ingredients. Does anyone have more input about this product?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
It's exactly as you say- they're assuming you'll wipe it off, sweat it off, etc. The warning probably assumed that you're using the sunscreen in the summer on the beach in which case it's likely you'll sweat some of it off as time goes by. No zinc oxide does not lose efficacy or degrade in any way. I don't recall seeing those warnings on the sunscreens I use but even if I did I wouldn't pay attention to them.

When I go camping I feel ok in the morning (before I have the chance to wash my face and apply sunscreen) because I know I'm still wearing the sunscreen from the day before.

ilovefkmtnoses wrote:
This has been bothering me for a while today; maybe one of you can provide an answer.

So, I've read that if one is using a physical sunscreen, reapplying may not be necessary (you know, unless you perspire or are exposed to water). But then on some zinc oxide-only sunscreens I see the "reapply after 2 hours or after swimming, etc" advisory. Why is that? Are they mainly advising that because we may inadvertently wipe it off even if we're not perspiring or coming into contact with water? Or because too much of it has been absorbed into the skin, therefore the protective layer is weaker (I know zinc isn't SUPPOSE to pass through the skin if it's particle size is large but still).

If that's the case, then I guess I understand now. But if it's an issue of it losing its effectiveness then...I really don't know as much about zinc oxide than I thought :P Just want some clarification.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |