Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hormonal Acne problem :-( Advice sought
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. My skin has actually been doing okay for the last year or so - despite inching ever closer to 50 (must update my sig!), no new wrinkles to report.

However, this winter there has been a new and irritating problem. I have been getting rather large pimples on the end of my nose. This has never been a problem for me before. My nose has always had the usual amount of blackheads etc but even that has been on the minimal side.

These are red, sometimes painful and are definitely pimples (they eventually come to a head and are extractable). They are all at the tip of my nose - nowhere else on my face.

I am thinking it must be hormonal because there has been no other change to the rest of my face of skincare regime.

Any words of wisdom from the EDS community?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I can be also an infection. I know it is not so pleasant to think we can have an infection on our face, but it is very common. Hormonal acne is usually on the lower chin/jaw area.

Anyway, I think I tend to have hormonal acne (because it usually comes before my period), however my doctor still gave me prescription for Clindets (clindamycin pads). Now I use them only for the periods when I need it, and with consistent use in the morning and night as a final cleanser (wiping the entire face), it clears my skin from any type of pimples perfectly (even though it is not particularly for hormonal acne)

from Wikkipedia:
clindamycin- lincosamide antibiotic. It is usually used to treat infections with anaerobic bacteria... It is a common topical treatment for acne and can be useful against some methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections)
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Yes, hormonal acne is usually on the chin or jaw.

Since you suspect hormones, one approach is to try eliminating sugar and dairy from your diet (greek yogurt is ok), and supplement with zinc, borage or primrose oil (for the GLA), B6, or something like oral Nicomide.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Regardless of whether you have hormonal acne or not, you should see a doctor. If it is hormonal acne, you should still see a doctor because it is actually a medical condition that may indicate that there is something wrong with your hormone production. If it's not hormonal acne, then it may be something else that you should get it checked out
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. The consensus seems to be: See a Doctor! After reading through your replies, I'm thinking perhaps it could be an infection as the problem is occurring not so much at the tip of my nose, but the area surrounding both of my nostrils. Perhaps it's not hormonal and nose-blowing has caused the problem.

Thanks again, everyone.

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
It might also be allergies... pollen is definitely in air Neutral
lvnatural

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
rockhugger wrote:

Since you suspect hormones, one approach is to try eliminating sugar and dairy from your diet (greek yogurt is ok), and supplement with zinc, borage or primrose oil (for the GLA), B6, or something like oral Nicomide.

Sorry if this is obvious but what is B6 supposed to do...I always thought B5 was good for breakouts? Is that right?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I do think seeing a derm is a good idea.

Are you using any products to prevent/treat? Since you mentioned black heads, BHA comes to mind. It would probably be useful for you to keep your pores clean. I like Paula's Choice BHA's. Her 2% liquid is my long time favorite but I'd suggest starting with 1%.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
You are in perimenopause. Your best bets are the birth control pill or bioidentical hormone replacement. Read It's My Ovaries Stupid by Elizabeth Vliet. I had adult acne, have been on the pill since I was 33.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 am      Reply with quote
lvnatural wrote:
rockhugger wrote:

Sorry if this is obvious but what is B6 supposed to do...I always thought B5 was good for breakouts? Is that right?

B5 might work if that's what is deficient. The connection between B6 and premenstrual acne was published in a peer-reviewed journal with citation at this link:
http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/439/

So B6 might help some people, but of course mileage varies.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 am      Reply with quote
I am 47 and have suffered from hormonal acne on chin and jaw. Regular use of my Clarisonic has eliminated this problem entirely. (I have always been scrupulous about cleaning, but I guess the Clarisonic takes it a level higher and ensures there are no pores to clog during menstruation. Or something.)
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 am      Reply with quote
karenlee wrote:
I am 47 and have suffered from hormonal acne on chin and jaw. Regular use of my Clarisonic has eliminated this problem entirely. (I have always been scrupulous about cleaning, but I guess the Clarisonic takes it a level higher and ensures there are no pores to clog during menstruation. Or something.)

wow, great to know that Clarisonic has yet another use! I'm so glad to have made this investment.. I really hope it helps with my milia.. they're starting to go away but not completely just yet Confused
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I occasionally get a pimple on my chin or cheek. Clindimycin in a dab on tiny bottle worked great but it's so bloody expensive. Is there a generic version of it? I know patents expire after ten years or so, and it's certainly been on the market longer than that. I like have some on hand just in case.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |