Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Had botox and I'm scared- please help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I had botox for the first time a few days ago. 2 days after ended up in emerg. Felt like I was passing out, heart racing, etc. They couldn't find anything wrong with me.

It's now been 5 days since getting botox and I have aching muscles, headache, don't feel like eating, feel light headed like I'm going to faint at times but not as bad as the first day I had a reaction.

I'm scared. I called the office and they said they have never heard of a reaction like might yet when I do a search on the internet, I have found a ton of stuff that describes exactly what I am experiencing.

Has anyone here experienced anything like that? It's like flu symptoms but no fever. If so, how long did it last? My forehead looks great but I will never, ever risk getting botox again.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds really scary!
I don't know anything about Botox.

Well the only thing I do know is one doctor who did fillers told me that it had never been tested on people with kidney problems-so people with kidney issues should not get Botox.

not sure how true entirely that is.

maybe contact the company who makes the product.
I think they have some kind of form to report adverse reactions.
Really doubt a doctor would tell you if he had other people react badly...doubt he would want to scare you off.
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
To me, this sounds like a classic panic attack.

I've suffered from an anxiety disorder since I was 15. My first panic attack occured when I tried to drugs, apperently its quite common for people to experience their first attack when their body recognizes something foreign, such as drugs, and over-reacts.

So while im not a doctor, I have siginificant experience with anxiety and seems to me your botox injections could be enough to trigger an anxiety attack.

I suggest you do some research on the issue, everyone has different symptoms but im sure you will recognize a lot of your symptoms. It took me a long time to accept that there was nothing pysically wrong with me, because panic attacks are so good at convincing you are on the verge of a heart attack or sudden death!
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I have had Botox numerous times, never had any reaction, thank goodness.

It does sound abit like an anxienty attack, were you alittle worried about getting Botox? It's a shame that you had that reaction, how many units did you have? and where? Was it a reputable injector?
clare77
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 am      Reply with quote
ITA with the other OPs that it sounds like a panic attck. Perhaps you've gotten yourself so worked up over botox for the first time that you paniced. I hope you feel better.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Lily, so sorry this happened to you - very scary indeed.

What you are experiencing can be a very real and stated side effect of Botox and I know about it because a very similar thing happened to a friend of mine. Doesn't happen often, but it needs to be reported to FDA and to your doctor.

Side Effects of Botox- http://www.drugs.com/sfx/botox-side-effects.html

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Botox:

Anxiety; arm pain; back pain; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; dry or irritated eyes; facial pain; flu-like symptoms; headache; inability to focus the eyes; increased cough; indigestion; nausea; neck pain; pain, redness, swelling, or tenderness at the injection site; runny nose; sensitivity to light; stiff or weak muscles at or near the injection site; sweating; tiredness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Botox:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bleeding at the injection site; chest pain; difficulty swallowing or breathing; double or blurred vision, or other vision changes; drooping of the upper eyelid; eyelid swelling; fainting; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; irregular heartbeat; loss of bladder control; loss of strength; paralysis; seizures; severe or persistent muscle weakness or dizziness; shortness of breath; speech changes or problems; worsening migraine.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA. (link below)

http://www.drugs.com/fda-consumer/your-guide-to-reporting-problems-to-fda-71.html

So sorry this happened to you! Please do report this - as often times people do not and FDA can not keep accurate statistics unless it is reported.

I hope you are feeling better and good luck! Report back and let us know how you are doing.

Gidget
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've never had a panic attack nor I am prone to anxiety. I felt fine about getting botox and when this starting (the symptoms) wasn't even thinking about the botox at all.

The injector was reputable in this area and well known.

If you actually google botox nightmares or something similar (botox negative experiences) on the internet you'll find a ton of information from people who have/had symptoms just like me. It is much more common than you think but most dr's (who use it) make the person feel like they are just having a "panic attack" when they describe the symptoms.

The more I read about it, the more I discover that it is not the inert drug we are led to believe. Even in the best of cases, it does go to other places in the body and has a direct effect on the functioning of our adrenal glands as well as thyroid.

The many people who are posting symptoms similar to mine are also people who have had botox numerous times without any effect then BAM, get really sick from it.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Botox can give some individuals flu like symptoms and severe headaches. Doctors always tend to say it has nothing to do with botox but the symptoms are very real. There are all kinds of horror stories on the net about people suffering from severe headaches for prolonged periods of time. I have had botox 2 times. The first time everything was fine and I only felt a slight pressure in my head but the second time has been bad. I have suffered from botox head aches for the last 2 months. I wake up in the morning with a head ache and sometimes it just comes on all at once. It has gotten better but 2 months is a long time to suffer from regular head aches. What ever you are experiencing is very real especially if you started suffering from it after botox.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply.

I am hoping to get more information on how long this lasts. From what I can tell, some people do have long lasting symptoms, most are back to normal in 5-6 months.

I feel foolish. I am careful about everything I put in my body and even what I put on it. I can't believe I didn't look into this more before going ahead with it and hope I don't suffer any long term damage.
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I am hoping to get more information on how long this lasts. From what I can tell, some people do have long lasting symptoms, most are back to normal in 5-6 months.

I feel foolish. I am careful about everything I put in my body and even what I put on it. I can't believe I didn't look into this more before going ahead with it and hope I don't suffer any long term damage.

Lily did you see my post a few posts above regarding reporting of your symptoms? Please consider doing so.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! I did and THANK YOU! I WILL report my symptoms.

How is your friend doing? Does she still have symptoms? If not, how long did they take to go away?
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
It was when I worked in fitness industry a few years back and she worked out there - she still wasn't "right" when I left (months after having it done) She felt that she never was the same and last I talked to her she was still suffering with aches and muscle weakness.

I think you'll find this interesting and the comments are mind blowing:

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/botox-lawsuit-award-over-botulism-poisoning-10248/
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
WOW.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't be one of those people that the symptoms linger. I don't seem to be as "bad" as many of them with symptoms already subsiding. I'm using a sauna and will do a detox protocol.

Shocking. I'm struggling with dealing with this inside myself- that I made this decision based on how I looked. Totally foolish. I'm a single mom, I can't afford to be unwell not to mention not to be fully present for my child.
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
You will probably be fine very soon. Stop reading about it so that you don't worry to much more - I posted that so that you would know that it wasn't all in your head and so that others considering btox will know that there are more side effects out there besides bruising. Do log your symptoms, report to your doctor and the FDA. The worse case scenarios are rare - yes, detox as much as you can and truly get off the computer and try and relax your mind and body.

Come back soon and let us know how you are doing.

G
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
I had botox for the first time a few days ago. 2 days after ended up in emerg. Felt like I was passing out, heart racing, etc. They couldn't find anything wrong with me.

It's now been 5 days since getting botox and I have aching muscles, headache, don't feel like eating, feel light headed like I'm going to faint at times but not as bad as the first day I had a reaction.

I'm scared. I called the office and they said they have never heard of a reaction like might yet when I do a search on the internet, I have found a ton of stuff that describes exactly what I am experiencing.

Has anyone here experienced anything like that? It's like flu symptoms but no fever. If so, how long did it last? My forehead looks great but I will never, ever risk getting botox again.

One thing you need to know about botox is that it is a toxin. A neurotoxin in fact. What might be happening is that your body is actually having an immune response to it because there might be too much botox in your system. Since you are experiencing these adverse reactions, you may want to go to your pharmacist and tell them you want to report your side effects so they can log it for future purposes. Get better soon!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Gidget wrote:
Lily, so sorry this happened to you - very scary indeed.

What you are experiencing can be a very real and stated side effect of Botox and I know about it because a very similar thing happened to a friend of mine. Doesn't happen often, but it needs to be reported to FDA and to your doctor.

Side Effects of Botox- http://www.drugs.com/sfx/botox-side-effects.html

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Botox:

Anxiety; arm pain; back pain; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; dry or irritated eyes; facial pain; flu-like symptoms; headache; inability to focus the eyes; increased cough; indigestion; nausea; neck pain; pain, redness, swelling, or tenderness at the injection site; runny nose; sensitivity to light; stiff or weak muscles at or near the injection site; sweating; tiredness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Botox:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bleeding at the injection site; chest pain; difficulty swallowing or breathing; double or blurred vision, or other vision changes; drooping of the upper eyelid; eyelid swelling; fainting; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; irregular heartbeat; loss of bladder control; loss of strength; paralysis; seizures; severe or persistent muscle weakness or dizziness; shortness of breath; speech changes or problems; worsening migraine.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA. (link below)

http://www.drugs.com/fda-consumer/your-guide-to-reporting-problems-to-fda-71.html

So sorry this happened to you! Please do report this - as often times people do not and FDA can not keep accurate statistics unless it is reported.

I hope you are feeling better and good luck! Report back and let us know how you are doing.

Gidget

Some doctors can be bad for reporting things-that happened to me twice so far.
Not really for an adverse reaction,but I have had medical staff a few times at the hospital when I was there for an apt, the medical person I saw made a mistake with my orders and never wrote anything about it.

I followed up with the hospital clinic and was forwarded to the manager of a dept who was shocked that happened.
I had witnesses to my incident,

but since then I never trust medical staff to report things and always follow up on that myself.
At least that was I know stuff was done.

But funny thing is I had a problem with a eye cream and the company made me give a ton of info by phone...which I found "funny" (well more surprized than anything).

Anyways,
to me it does not sound like a anxiety attack,
if it was I think you would not be feeling ill, flu like ect.

Hopefully you can get better soon!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 am      Reply with quote
I would really try not to stress about this too much. You could just have a virus or be off-colour for some reason. The internet is absolutely full of horror stories - for everything that you Google there will be some terrible tale of woe. Just Google the dangers of getting a tattoo for instance - it's a wonder that everyone who has a tattoo hasn't died in the process!

Botox has been used for over 30 years for medical purposes. It is routinely given to children who suffer from Cerebral Palsy. Thousands of women all around the world get Botox and don't suffer from any kind of reaction. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that you might have some sort of intolerance to it - we can all have a reaction to anything.

Considering that you've been checked out by the hospital and they found nothing wrong, I would try to relax about the whole experience. I'm sure that in a few days you will be fine. Working yourself up into a lather of stress isn't going to help.

I've not been feeling too good myself lately and on consulting the internet I was convinced I either had a stomach ulcer, bowel cancer or was lactose intolerant. A recent Gastroscopy revealed absolutely nothing wrong with me, and I'm now fully recovered. But sometimes it doesn't pay to go trolling the internet looking up your symptoms!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Keliu you may have had some kind of transitory virus. Try not to stress about it, and feel better. You wouldn't believe the horrible illnesses and diseases I've had after reading online!!!!!! It's a treasure trove of horror for sure.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Well... isn't botox a TOXIN? It is the Botulinum toxin afterall! I am no expert, but with anything that is labeled as a toxin, shouldn't we be weary to inject that into our bodies?! Scary stuff.

I feel like people are mislead into thinking these types of cosmetic procedures are safe, when in face there are many side effects, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Be careful!
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jennyjam:

I totally agree with you and this has forced me to do a lot of thinking on what women in our culture will put themselves through to look young- a lot of thinking.

It's also interesting to read the different responses I got on here. People are quick to defend botox b/c Big Pharma does such a good job in covering up cases like mine and promoting how "safe" it is.

Lots of people on here said I must have had a virus or whatever BUT I spoke with the Dr who runs the centre I had the botox done and HE CONFIRMED all of the symptoms that I had were BOTOX RELATED and not a virus.

He said it is not very common and although most people just get a headache, etc., the side effects I had ARE LISTED as botox side effects.

I totally get that there are wacky things on the internet but the stories I read were of real healthy, fit people, many of whom had botox numerous times before without any problem and then one time- wham! I do believe those who say that they still are struggling with side effects even a year later. Botox has the potential, I think, to do damage to one's nervous system.

Thankfully, even though I do not quite feel like myself just yet, I do feel A LOT better. I had a few really rough days though.

I think botox, as a toxin, will have an impact on liver function and I also think botox acts a bit like a stimulant on the adrenals and perhaps thyroid. (Maybe it's just an immune response b/c a toxin is injected, I'm not sure.) I think it does something to the adrenals b/c many of the people (and myself) experienced something that is similar to an adrenal crash/crisis after getting botox.

I also read a study that talked about how botox had an "antidepressant" effect in some women. What I think it does, temporarily, is speed up adrenal and thyroid function which makes some women feel better but in the long run will have a negative impact on the glandular system.

With how unhealthy people are today in general and how many toxins our bodies already have to deal with on a daily basis, I've realized that the last thing I want to do is put more toxins in my body that it has to deal with.

Had I not had this experience I may have been drawn in by botox as I wouldn't have been compelled to read as much as I could about it so I guess I'm grateful for that as my reaction could have been much worse than it was.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Just to follow up for those of you reading this, when I first called the office and talked to the receptionist she is the one who said she "hadn't heard of that type of reaction". Two days ago the doctor of the clinic called back and confirmed all of my symptoms WERE listed as botox side effects and that is what is sounded like I had (not a virus).
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
lily, you should definitely report to Allergan/FDA. Its important for tracking of adverse reactions.

Hope you are feeling better.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have never heard or read about this before. I find this to be very strange and hard to believe.

I've heard stories how botox is used for other medical issues and increased the quality of their lifestyle.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I have never heard or read about this before. I find this to be very strange and hard to believe.

I've heard stories how botox is used for other medical issues and increased the quality of their lifestyle.

Yes it is, I've already stated that it's used to treat people with Cerebral Palsy and other debilitating conditions. It was used for treating medical conditions long before its cosmetic side effects were discovered.

However, nothing in the world is 100% safe. You can die from drinking too much water. Certain people can die from eating a peanut or strawberry or getting stung by a bee. In my case, I'm allergic to Penicillin. Does that mean that Penicillin is to be avoided by everyone - NO!

Anyone can have a reaction to anything - natural or chemical.

These types of incidences need to be put into perspective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I thought botox was already put in perspective, or at least I did. Those list of side affects are so out of this world, but I guess it could happen to a few number of people.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |