Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sun spot treatment for 20s skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
WishingWell
5% products discount

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I'm an avid reader but rare poster on the forums. I hope someone here will have a few ideas about my problem.

I'm in my early 20s and I've always had sun spots. By the time I was 10, they had popped up in various parts of my face and I've gotten used to them over the years (I think they give my face character haha) They've faded quite a bit but all of the sudden I got a new one on my chin.
So...

1) Does anyone know the sudden cause of it? I use suncreen religiously (thanks to this forum I'm aware this is THE most important step)

2) A recommendation for a spot treatment or new regime that isn't too harsh on my 20s skin.

Thank you in advance!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should use a good Vitamin C product, one that contains l-ascorbic acid, in the morning.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Which sunscreen do you use?

I would recommend a hat or parasol and maybe Sunpill or Heliocare.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Neutrogena Ultra sheer spf 30 for a while but I think it might be too oily for my skin. I'm planning to switch to Elta MD once it runs out or Josie Maran's Protect Daily Sun Protection Argan Oil Infused SPF 40+

I am tempted to try clinique's dark spot corrector to see if it will help lighten the spot. Has anyone tried this with good results?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I looked at the active ingredients of the Neutrogena you mentioned, and I'm not convinced that they're sufficient against UVA rays (avobenzone is more stable with octocrylene, and octinoxate destabilizes it a bit). And UVA are the ones that cause dark spots. I think switching to Elta MD (they're mostly zinc-based) is a great idea.

I used a whole bottle of the Clinique Even better when it came out last spring, and it didn't do a thing for me--in fact, it made me break out a bit. Three summers of SPF 15 plus a broad-brimmed hat, on the other hand, did me a world of good!

5% products discount

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
rockhugger wrote:
Hmmm, I looked at the active ingredients of the Neutrogena you mentioned, and I'm not convinced that they're sufficient against UVA rays (avobenzone is more stable with octocrylene, and octinoxate destabilizes it a bit). And UVA are the ones that cause dark spots. I think switching to Elta MD (they're mostly zinc-based) is a great idea.

I used a whole bottle of the Clinique Even better when it came out last spring, and it didn't do a thing for me--in fact, it made me break out a bit. Three summers of SPF 15 plus a broad-brimmed hat, on the other hand, did me a world of good!

Thanks rockhugger. I'm looking for a good physical sunscreen in time for summer so I'll be sure to give Elta MD a try.

In the meantime, would it be suggested to try a peel (say Juice Beauty's apple peel) along with a lightening product? I'm hesitant to use a peel on my skin and have never tried it before.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome.

I understand your hesitation to use a peel. I don't have any experience with that myself, but I have thought about getting peel in a derm's office.

Here's what has worked for me on my freckles, besides the hat: one winter I used an AHA product for several months (about 8%, I think); and now I'm 6 months into tretinoin cream, which is supposed to really kick in for the pigment at about a year, and I'm already noticing some brightening and evening of my skin tone; and I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA/2% hydroquinone lightening gel as a spot treatment only, and off and on, on the few distinct freckles I have left (it was too harsh for me to use all over).

But seriously, the hat! Smile The hat took them from dark freckles to maybe 80% gone, and now with the rest of the stuff they're maybe 90% gone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Wishing Well - At your young age, I'd highly recommend you consider using only natural sunscreens. There is a lot of info on the Internet about chemical sunblocks degrading in the sunlight and actually causing brown spots. Take it from me, one who has been battling brown spots on fair skin for over 20 years. I recently read about Suntegrity which I plan to try next.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |