Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Sensitive Skin Serum Search: C + B5 or Topix Replenix CF?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
raissa
5% products discount

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
New to this board from Makeupalley Smile

I need some help choosing an anti-aging serum, something to improve texture and impart a "glow," without too much fading (I like my freckles). I'm 33 with sensitive combination-dry skin that breaks out if irritated.

I have been having bad luck with c-serums of late, but am willing to keep at it if the combo of C and B5 is really the best option.
Alternatively, I'd be interested in trying an antioxidant blend with hyaluronic acid, like Topix Replenix CF.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, and welcome! Smile

The gentlest C serums I know of are the Cellex-C 5% for eye area and the La Roche-Posay Active C or Redermic lines (both 5%, I think). It's no use persisting to the point of irritation, but another option is every 2nd or 3rd night. Vit C stays in the skin for some 72 hours...

But Topix Replenix CF Serum/Cream are even gentler. The serum is not very moisturizing at all (I like it for my oily skin in warm weather); I understand that the cream is lightly moisturizing.

What's your current routine?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
My skin doesn't do well with C serums that use l-ascorbic acid. Perhaps you could look for a serum containing some of the C derivatives (sodium ascorbyl phosphate, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate etc).

I really like Topix Replenix CF Cream. It's only very lightly hydrating and its extremely effective at eliminating redness and irritation. It's also apparently a very potent mix of antioxidants.
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 am      Reply with quote
you should use the Vitamin B3 lotion or serum,

here is the posting for Vitamin B3 information:

Procter & Gamble, whose Olay skin-care line sells several products with niacinamide (Vitamin B3), published a double-blind study involving 50 women. The subjects used a product containing 5% niacinamide (whether that amount is included in Olay's niacinamide products was not mentioned) for a period of 12 weeks. Results included an improvement in the appearance of wrinkles, skin discolorations, less redness, a reduction in sallowness, and improved elasticity.

Right now I am usint a very good skincare product from Australia. it has very high concentration of Vitamin B3, it also include other essential oil,
it contains Olive Squalene, Honey, Vitamin E, Lactic Acid, & pure essences of Rose, Lavender & Bergamot – hydrating, calming, antibacterial, healing, uplifting, clarifying.

you may want to try that
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:10 am      Reply with quote
forgot to post:

Niacinamide in skin care:
• anti-acne
• anti-inflammatory
• oil control
• lightening & brightening
• increase ceramide levels
• prevent water loss in skin
• reduce fine lines and wrinkles
• improve skin elasticity
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:47 am      Reply with quote
I think Topix Replenix CF is a really nice product. Dr Baumann recommends this, I think she may even use it herself. I agree the serum is not moisturizing but I don't think its drying.

An LAA C Serum can be irritating. If your skin is sensitive then it would probably be best to avoid but Josh had a good suggestion to try another form of C.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:33 am      Reply with quote
queenielau718 wrote:
you should use the Vitamin B3 lotion or serum,

here is the posting for Vitamin B3 information:

Procter & Gamble, whose Olay skin-care line sells several products with niacinamide (Vitamin B3), published a double-blind study involving 50 women. The subjects used a product containing 5% niacinamide (whether that amount is included in Olay's niacinamide products was not mentioned) for a period of 12 weeks. Results included an improvement in the appearance of wrinkles, skin discolorations, less redness, a reduction in sallowness, and improved elasticity.

Right now I am usint a very good skincare product from Australia. it has very high concentration of Vitamin B3, it also include other essential oil,
it contains Olive Squalene, Honey, Vitamin E, Lactic Acid, & pure essences of Rose, Lavender & Bergamot – hydrating, calming, antibacterial, healing, uplifting, clarifying.

you may want to try that

Do you have the name of this product?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 am      Reply with quote
And what is the suggested starting strength of niacinamide, if any?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 am      Reply with quote
5% niacinamide is enough to cause flushing, so it's best to start at around 2-3%.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently using:

Fresh Soy Facial Cleanser
La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluid
Shiseido Extra Smooth SPF 38
Retin-A 1% every couple of nights

I've used C in the past (SkinMedica), but strangely didn't notice any improvement. Recently I tried both the NuFountain serums (LA-A, 20% and 10%), but both broke me out (a frequent reaction since having my son). People on Makeupalley like Silk Naturals' MAP-based C serum, so I've been considering that, but I also appreciate hearing about the low % LA-A options.

I've been looking into niacinamide--apparently Paula's Choice has a decent toner--but, again, don't want too much fading.

Have those that have used the Topix serum/cream noticed an improvement in skin texture, or are they primarily soothing treatments?

Thanks again!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Well, the Retin A should help with glow and skin texture in the long run--how long have you been using it?

Yes, I like niacinamide a lot, but the PC one is good but not very moisturizing. Olay Regenerist serum fragrance-free is slightly moisturizing and great for my skin, and more moisturizing is Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid Sensitive or several products from NIA24, the Skin strengthening complex (more moisture) and the one for arms/decolletage (a little moisture).

The Topix is primarily for reducing redness (especially rosacea-related) and preventing sun damage.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the Retin-A for the better part of 9 years, but don't feel very smooth/glowy (perhaps because I'm a longtime grad student with a toddler...). I've heard very good things about NIA24, but worried about the fading. On balance, do you think niacinimide would be my best bet?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Yes, maybe niacinamide would be a good bet--it tells skin cells to produce more natural moisture (ceramides in particular), so that should boost "glow." Oh, and just FYI, it's not niacinamide that has faded my freckles, so maybe you'll get to keep yours... Smile

And a link for other ideas: http://www.skintour.com/component/content/article/75-tips-of-the-week/469

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am using the Probio Vitamin B3 lotion. you can find the info here

http://www.probiohtma.com/Products?Product_ID=6&cmd=Display

i think it contain the optimal % ~5 to 8% for treating dehydration, acne, redness, pigmentation, unfirm and dull, lifeless skin.

before I have used up to 10% of Vitamin B3 is still ok, no irritation or flush.....

and one of my acne serum concentration has 4.3% of Vitamin B and 1% of salicylic acid......

but i order through facebook group - group order so that I don't need to pay for shipping and tax is included if you are living in Canada area. but you can still order from the above website if you are in AU. since that website is only for AU customer + ~$10 shipping fee.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Just checked the Probio products; good ingredients but quite pricey.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |