Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
“Intro to Vitamin-C 101" - Convince me, Mabsy!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:39 am      Reply with quote
All right, Mabsy, this question is for you...I need you to give me the course syllabus for “Intro to Vit-C 101"!! Time and again, I see you touting the wonders of Vit-C serums as the answer to nearly every skincare woe and you’ve almost got me convinced to give it a shot. But first I need some more info:

• Why do I need it? What is the benefit or it? What’s it going to do for me? Is Vit-C primarily to treat already existing problems or will it help prevent them? Remember, I don’t have any lines or wrinkles yet. No dark circles, etc. About the only thing I’ve got on my face – other than the dreaded hyper-active sebum glands and slightly visible pores on either side of my nose – are a couple of faint/slight red marks from previous breakouts.

• If I decide to incorporate it, where do I start? What’s a reasonable (read: works well and is cheap) brand to start with? What precentage/concentration should I use first? Are there any side effects? If I start using a Vit-C serum, do I need to add anything else to my routine? Right now, after washing-exfoliating/toning my face, the only thing I apply is my HA serum and then followup with JI D2O spritz as my moisturizer. I don’t even use an eyecream regularly unless I accidentally get a bit of cleanser or mask a little too close to the eye area and it starts to feel a little dry and tight.

• And, last but not how do I apply it? After cleansing/toning, but before the HA serum and moisturizer? Do I apply it to my entire face/neck, or just the areas I want to concentrate on? What order do these products go in? How often do I use it? How long does it take to start seeing results?

When I ordered my CSRx Polishing Grains, they sent me a sample vial of their “C+ Firming Serum,” but I haven’t tried it yet because I have no idea how to use it. I’m not sure if this is among the brands of Vit-C items that you’ve previously tried, so here’s the link containing the product info if that will help you to give me some pointers to get started: http://www.cellularskinrx.com/products_vitamincserum.html I noticed that the concentration is 12%, so is this a product I can use to start with or do I need to use something milder to start with?

Okay, I think that about covers it; I know you’ve been asked these questions a million times already, so appreciate your patience for the newby!

TIA,
Carrie
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 am      Reply with quote
As Mabsy obviously has a life and I don't allow me to start off.
Vitamin C if taken at the right % and ph is absorbed by the skin and promotes collagen production. It also helps to even out skin tone and mops up free radicals that cause premature aging. To be any good it must be fresh and stable.
The Cellular skin sample you have is incredibly stable...I have a bottle opened 4-5 months ago and it is still clear white. But you may not like the texture...it feels oily, though after 5-6 mins, it is totally absorbed and feels fine under makeup.
Apply it all over to a clean face in the morning and try and give it 10 mins before putting your HA on and follow with moisturiser...you don't mention SPF...I hope you use one young lady!
Don't use at night it's a waste basically. I used it over whole face, neck and bust area and I started seeing results in terms of evening of skin tone after about a month.
Use the sample you have, it's pretty good stuff, though I am tempted to make my own now I know you can. Do not get the stuff from dianayvonne though, it's pants!
Liz Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Guapagirl, why would it be a waste to use it at nite, and how do you make your own Vit C serum ??

Thx,
D

5% products discount

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
diderot, I'm not guapagirl, but to answer your question, the line of Vitamin C serum that I use (Cellex-C) stresses it need only be used once every 24 hours and that applying it more often would only be a waste and may even irritate your skin. I think that is what's meant by a "waste", but guapagirl may have more to say on that point.
Carekate, as for my results with Vitamin C, they haven't been great, but it may just be the brand I'm using. As guapagirl mentioned, you want it to remain stable, and the Cellec-C I'm using tends to 'turn' after the bottle has been opened 3-4 weeks and I usually don't get through a bottle that quickly.
I'm thinking of trying the Skinceuticals brand next and maybe I'll have better results with it.
I do agree with others, though, that even if you don't see "results" from using Vit. C, I think it is an important anti-oxidant and a good preventative measure against future skin damage/aging.
Hope this helps....Dee.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
carekate, I'm going to jump in with a bit of own 2 cents. I have the CellularSkinRx brand of Vitamin C and as guapagirl stated it is very stable. It has not turned on me at all so far and I've had it for several months. I use it once a day in the morning.

I'm using it to treat and hopefully help reverse sun damage on my face (from years of not being able to wear sunscreen due to sensitivity to the physical and chemical blockers Embarassed. My face was ultra sensitive to the formulations back a few years ago. Mad My face can now tolerate the newer formulations. Very Happy ).

I must also add that if Mabsy et al can convince you to invest in it, please wear sunscreen because the vitamin c will make your skin more photosensitive. If I'm wrong about the photosensitivity will the EDS forum members please jump in and correct me. Thanks! Smile

BUT as guapagirl wrote you should still wear sunscreen in any case to protect and prevent yourself from any damage to your skin, since I'm reading that you have no problems with your skin now. You're very lucky in that sense. It's much better to prevent then to cure.

HTH!
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:19 am      Reply with quote
I have a question on the great vitc debate. Do all the formulations leave your open pores/blackheads looking worse? Sad
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Eve ...it hasn't made mine look bad, I'd go so far as to say my skin texture has massively improved.

You only use during the day because it helps with free radical mopping up and as the free rads are caused by UV and pollution and therefore more present during the day that's the best time to use it I think Confused

Mabsy will clarify I'm sure Very Happy

HTH Liz

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
As Mabsy obviously has a life and I don't allow me to start off.

I don't usually! Embarassed I was blissfully asleep when this post was made and last night was one of the rare nights when I *did* manage to have a social life. Must go put on some Valmont Renewing Pack to erase the evidence Rolling Eyes

I couldn't agree more with what has already been said. Let me just highlight (again) that SPF is very important. Also, from my understanding, vit C is best used in the morning because it inactivates (or gets rid of) free radicals that are caused by exposuse to UV rays. It does not have any natural SPF in it though (as far as I know) and you need to use it in combo with SPF otherwise you're pretty much wasting your effort.

Apart from that, I can also add that I see a big difference in my skin (and my mum's skin) from vit C serum usage. Clearer and healthier looking.

Oh, to answer your other questions!

*Vit C does both - correct damage already done by the sun (which may be invisible to the naked eye) and prevent further damage. From my experience I can say that it also helps with healing marks etc on skin.

*I started with Skinceuticals Serum 10 - I would suggest something similar - around 10% conc. My favorite is Vivier but Skinceuticals is good if you prefer the "I've put nothing on" feel or have oily skin. CSRx is nice and stable but the texture is more oily-like (good for dry skin I guess).

*You'd use it after cleansing/toning and before your HA serum. In the mornings only. The results (in terms of radiance) will probably take about 2 weeks (please also remember to exfoliate regularly).

*Start with the sample of CSRx that you already have. It may sting a *little* bit the first few times you use it. If it stugns too much then the concentration is too high. If it feels ok then continue using it.

Convinced? Angel
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info ladies! You'll be happy to know that I began using the CSRx Vit-C serum sample yesterday morning and I'm looking forward to seeing the results. When I first put some on my fingers to rub on my face, it felt kinda oily/slippery so I thought I was going to hate it how it felt on my face because my skin is so oily (you've heard me lament about it enough!!) and I loathe putting anything on my face that feels like it contributes to the situation but I was pleasantly surprised that once the Vit-C absorbed into my skin my face felt 'velvety' rather than greasy. Smile

In addition to my oily skin, I'm also extremely fair -- I don't tan so much as I just sort of burst into flames if I'm in the sun for more than 5 minutes without being covered from head-to-toe Exclamation so I avoid spending time in the sun as much as possible. I don't wear a separate sunscreen on my face (again, I hate putting stuff on that will contribute to the grease!!), but I use BE mineral foundation which I understand has SPF15 so I hope that is enough to protect me during the brief (very brief!!) sun-exposure that I'm forced to endure when running from one building or shady place to another!!!

Liz -- I'm intrigued that by your statement that you now know how to make your own Vit-C serum. Can you please share this technique with the rest of us? I'm a big fan of creating my own home-made skin care items so I'd love to know how one makes a Vit-C serum....

TIA again!
Carrie
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Never mind, Liz! I just saw your ‘recipe’ under the Vit-C Powder thread! But where does one get Vit-C powder? Do I just crush up some Vit-C vitamins??? Help!
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Roseana (RNB68) sent me this really informative link from MUA on Vit. C if anyone hasn't already seen it. Definitely worth a look....
www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/StAmourOwl/
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:26 am      Reply with quote
you get L-ascorbic acid from pharmacies and health food shops in powder form. It MUST be pure! don't get anything with fillers!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to let everyone know that I’ve been using my CSRx Vit-C serum sample for about a week now. Obviously it’s too soon to see any real benefits yet, but I’m happy on a lovely although unexpected side effect. You’ve heard me whine and moan about my oily skin. Normally when I put on my (BE #3 mineral) makeup each morning, I have to start blotting the shinies within an hour. You’ve also heard me say that I’ve started using Jane Iredale’s D2O spritzer in lieu of a traditional foundation because it doesn’t leave me with that horribly greasy feeling on my face. Well, since I’ve been putting on the CSRx Vit-C serum and applying the D2O on top of it (I wait 5-10 minutes for the Vit-C to sink in before spritzing), now when I apply my makeup, my face looks really velvety and I no longer have to blot at frequent intervals throughout the day!! Is that fantastic or what?! Can anyone hazzard a guess as to why my face doesn’t seem to get as oily during the day now that I’m using the Vit-C serum? I think I heard Mabsy or Liz say that Vit-C can be really drying (so you should apply a good moisturizer over it) – could it be that what might be too drying for some actually acts as a skin ‘normalizer’ for someone like me with hyper-active sebum glands??

Anyway, just thought I’d share. Even if I never see any of the other benefits of the Vit-C, I’ll continue using it simply because my face doesn’t seem to be as oily any longer!! Of course, now I’m wondering if I should bother trying any other brand of Vit-C serum or if I should stick with the CSRx brand? How much is that stuff anyway? I think I’m only going to get another 2-3 weeks use out of my sample so I better start planning to order more. Does anybody know what the CSRX formulation is? I mean, I read somewhere that some Vit-C serums are water-based, some are silicone-based, etc. I just want to know what kind of ‘base’ the CSRx version is since I seem to like it so well!

Again, just wanted to say thanks for everyone who convinced me to give this a go!
Carrie
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Carrie,
C serums will balance out oil production so maybe that's why your face is not producing too much oil now. I use the CSRx C+ Firming serum, too. Couldn't live without it now. I filled out the survey so I got 20% off. I ordered three C's - they are usually $38 each (as compared to $75 etc. for Skinceuticals)but with the discount, it was about $30 each. Yahoo!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:33 am      Reply with quote
What survey??? I didn’t see any survey last month when I ordered the Polishing Grains! I want to try their Fresh Pout lip balm, too, when I order the Vit-C stuff so I’d love any discount I can find. Do you still have the link?

thanks,
Carrie
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have a link. I got it in my email. Seemed like an email to all their customers -not really junk mail (not in my spam box)but no real greeting at the top. I get regular mail from them about every two months or so. Do you? I would email them and ask for the survey. You have to order by Jan 31st, too. Good luck!
KLP

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,
I have a few of questions. First what is HA? I'm assuming hydroxy acid? and second why wait 10 minutes after applying the serum to apply HA, if your not using HA should you wait 10 minutes to apply moisturizer? and if you do use HA should you wait 10 minutes after applying it to put on moisturizer?

Thank you for any responses.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Actually, in this case, “HA” stands for hyaluronic acid. You wait a few minutes between applying the HA serum and your moisturizer to give the HA serum a chance to penetrate.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:26 am      Reply with quote
...and you wait anything up to 10 mins after applying your C serum to give it optimal time to penetrate. When I say 10 mins, in my case it is 10 secs as I don't have time as I'm so disorganised! If I get up early enough, I apply C serum, have breakfast, clean teeth then add HA. mouthwash, hand scrub (C serum makes me look like I smoke Shock ) and then all the other moisturisers etc...
This is under review tho, as someone was saying we ought to use the HA serums over the moisturiser to lock in moisture...I'm expreimenting so will let you know!
Liz Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, whats the latest situation re the vitamin c. Ive just come across this thread and I know you share oily skin with a friend of mine. Are you still blotting less during the day?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
No, the Vit-C hasn’t had any DRASTIC effect on my oiliness (I’m telling you, your friend needs to try the Decleor Ylang Ylang oil and Hydra-matte Regulating Fluid!!). But it has helped to even out my skin tone and fade red marks from previous breakouts. And would you believe that I’m *still* using the sample of Vit-C serum that I got from CSRx nearly two months ago?? Man, that stuff lasted a *long* time...I’m wondering if I can stretch it another month or if I need to order a bottle on payday?? Anyway, even though it hasn’t
really eleviated my oil problem, I’m still glad I caved into the pressure from Mabsy and Liz and added the Vit-C serum to my skincare regime -- my face is looking better than ever these days! Very Happy
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that carekate. Ive told her re the ylang ylang. Shes so desparate for results that she never gives anything long enough to work, but I'll keep on looking and keep on advising her.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I saw almost instantaneous results with the Ylang Ylang oil and Hyda-matte lotion, and it’s gotten even better now that I’ve been using them for about 3 weeks, so maybe that’ll be enough instant gratification to satisfy her...let me put it this way: since I’ve been using these two products, I can almost claim that my skin-type is normal-to-oily!!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Im going to email this thread to her and hope its enough to convince her. Thanks carrie
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, here’s my entire routine, in case your pal wants to mimic it:

Mornings:

• Cleanse with Decleor Cleansing Gel (it has Ylang Ylang in it, too!) - I actually add a sprinkle of Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant to a dime-size amount of cleansing gel and wet my fingers to mix it into a paste, then apply to my entire face and massage it in for at least 60 seconds – this allows me to combine the steps of cleansing/exfoliating and saves me about 3 minutes (hey, I get up at 3:12am to get ready for work so I need all the shortcuts I can get!!)! I leave this on while I climb in the shower, then rinse it off while in the shower;

• Swipe face with Decleor’s Tonifying Lotion on cotton pad;

• Apply CSRx Vit-C serum and let soak in while I put my deodorant, then underwear on;

• Apply 2-3 drops of Ylang Ylang oil over entire face, then get dressed.

• Apply thin layer of Decleor’s Hydra-matte Regulating Fluid over entire face.

Evenings:

• Cleanse face with Decleor Cleansing Gel (it even removes waterproof eye makeup!)

• Swipe face with Decleor’s Tonifying Lotion on cotton pad;

• Apply 2-3 drops of Ylang Ylang oil over entire face;

• Spritz face with Jane Iredale Balancing Spritz (in lieu of traditional moisturizer).

And before you guys pooh-pooh and lecture me for not applying a sunscreen, let me say that I’m using JI pressed powder foundation with SPF15!!! Smile

Anyway, as far as I’m concerned, the two most important components of my regimen are the Ylang Ylang and Hydra-matte fluid. Even if I couldn’t afford to use anything else, I’d still find a way to use them!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |