Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Went from super oily skin to super dry all of a sudden!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anticandida
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am      Reply with quote
What the hell has happened to me! My skin and hair have been extremely oily for years, at least 4 years and now all of a sudden I'm left with a horribly dry and coarse hair and skin with no oil production whatsoever anywhere! Can winter really bring this kinda change? I have a horrible amount of dry dandruff that I can't get rid of, it just keeps coming and coming. I know how to deal with oily seborrhea but this dryness is all new to me and I don't know what has caused this! I eat a low-carb diet with loads of fat and low carb and been doing this for years and my skin has never been this dry during this diet and probably not even before it!

What kind of hormonal change could've caused this? The only thing I've changed is still the damn MSM powder that I started taking in January... about a month from that I started getting this dry skin. So I don't know what the hell it has done. I don't even have to wash my face 'cause it doesn't produce any oil and my seborrhea seems to be well in control compared to what it used to be. Too bad my hair is dry and coarse and my scalp just keeps peeling and flaking like no tomorrow. I wouldn't even have to wash my hair too often cause it doesn't get greasy at all but I'm afraid the gunk will clog my pores if I don't clean my scalp. I bought a natural shampoo with tea tree oil without SLS (Urtekram Tea Tree shampoo) to see if it helps controlling the dryness and flaking at all.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 am      Reply with quote
How old are you? Could be hormone related. Hypothyroidism causes drier skin.

Have you changed birth control or other meds?

What supplements do you take?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Have you been getting any kind of radiation lately? Perhaps change of workplace to a plant, or even more frequent x-rays?

Regardless, something like this should be checked by a doctor, so you should get on that
anticandida
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 28 and male. I don't take any meds and haven't taken for years. The only change is the MSM. This is something very strange... I'll definitely see a doc for this and have my thyroid checked. And no, no radiation at all.
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
yes, you should have a complete blood test + TSH check.

if everything is normal, than you can try Olive Squalene in which will balance the oil production.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes, definitely get your hormones checked. It's possible you're low on testosterone, or your body is converting too much to DHT (thinning hair could also result from this).

5% products discount

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Well I've been balding for years so the DHT issue is relevant, but I have never suffered of this dry a skin!
anticandida
5% products discount

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Might I add that my visceral fat levels have suddenly gone up x10 to what they were this time last year!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:23 am      Reply with quote
anticandida wrote:
Might I add that my visceral fat levels have suddenly gone up x10 to what they were this time last year!

This didn't happen all in one day right? Shock
anticandida
5% products discount

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:46 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
anticandida wrote:

This didn't happen all in one day right? Shock

Well probably not Very Happy. My body weight has dropped almost 5 kilos, body fat % almost 3%, but visceral fat levels have gone up from +5 to +58,8. I did the Inbody test this time last year and wanted check how I'm doing again. That's pretty alarming!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Definitely see a doctor lol.. do not wait! See one now!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Yup, sounds like hormones to me...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Low testosterone would cause the increase in fat as would low thyroid. Why do you think that all middle-aged men start to look alike with pot bellies, man boobs and chicken legs as they age?
anticandida
5% products discount

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Low testosterone would cause the increase in fat as would low thyroid. Why do you think that all middle-aged men start to look alike with pot bellies, man boobs and chicken legs as they age?

I don't have increased body fat, only increased visceral fat. My hormones and sebum production are probably all messed up!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
anticandida wrote:
SoftSkin wrote:

I don't have increased body fat, only increased visceral fat. My hormones and sebum production are probably all messed up!

Don't worry, just consider (if the doctor confirms our suspicions) hormone supplements and maybe Propecia to block the conversion of T to DHT. That could solve everything!

Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |