Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Which foundation does not clog pores?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:51 am      Reply with quote
My skin is far from flawless and so I have to cover up some blemishes and even my skin tone with foundation. I'm currently using L'oreal's translucide foundation, which gives great coverage and a nice glow to my skin. But how do I know if the ingredients in this clog up my pores? Are there certain pore-clogging ingredients that I need to know about?

Has anybody used a foundation that doesn't clog their pores? If so, which one?
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
my suggestion would be to go w. a minerals foundation.

i've been using a pressed powder form, and i've found that it provides varying coverage, depending method of application (ie. powder brush or flocked sponge), doen't look cakey, stays on all day, provides sunscreen, and (most importantly) does not contribute to blemishes (in fact, if you get one that has zinc, the zinc will help keep blemishes calmer).

lamicuz.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with lamicuz. You may find this site useful...they have a list of all known comedones

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/article6.htm#inglist

HTH Liz Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just googled l'oreal translucide and here are the ingredients:

Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Water, Glopentasiloxxane, Propylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Glyceryl Isostearate, Disocetyl Dodecanedidate, Glycerine, PTFE, Phenyl Trimethicone, Stearic Acid(COM 2), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine(COM 2), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Alumina, Butylparaben, Cellulose Gum, Fragrance, Silica, Grapefruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Atelocollagen, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide.

How much gunk am I putting on my face Shock I am gonna look up the ingredients on the website you mentioned, gupagirl, thanks for that.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
ick guapagirl!

i always find those kinds of lists scary!!! but very helpful.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:43 am      Reply with quote
The one from Darphin is pretty, it's more like a treatment foundation with SPF10. It has wheat protein and Vit E in it, just a little, very natural looking, don't think it will clog pores.

D

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I have to vote with the Lamicuz and say mineral foundation, too. You can’t even believe the difference it makes – once you try it, you’ll never be able to go back and smear those horrible “traditional” liquid foundations on your skin!! Even the liquid foundations that claim to be “non-comedogenic” (i.e.: doesn’t clog pores) still have to leave some kind of residue that can’t possibly be good for your skin.

Let me put it this way: if you get home one night and are so tired that you don’t even have the energy to wash your face before going to bed, if you’re wearing mineral foundation it’s safe enough to sleep in overnight (although one should always make time to wash one’s makeup off!). Can you say the same about your regular liquid foundation???

Anyway, if you’re just married to the idea of sticking with a traditional liquid foundation, you’ve got to be sure that the product label specifically says “non-comedogenic,” otherwise you’re just asking for trouble!

I can’t tell by your user’s profile where you live, but if you’re in the States, you can order samples of Jane Iredale (pressed or loose) mineral foundations fromwww.skin-etc.com for $3 each plus S&H, so that would give you the opportunity to try before you buy because mineral foundations can inititally be expensive, but once you buy it the container/compact lasts for ages because you don’t have to use but a tiny smidge at a time to cover your whole face. The bonus with most mineral foundations is they have an SPF of at least 15 built right in!

HTH,
Carrie
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, carekate, I am realising that it makes sense to change my foundation to a mineral based one...I'm from the UK, but I think I'll ask Eds for a sample or two of JI foundation (I don't know if Eds has samples of these, but it's worth asking them anyway).

Hopefully the samples will help me decide on what colour I should go for as it's too risky to buy a pot of the stuff without seeing the colour in real life. I'm not sure what kind of mineral makeup is available in Uk shops. And I'll have a look in some department stores over here to find a good match and then place my order with Eds.

I must admit that I'm partial to liquid foundation as I worry that I won't get enough coverage with a powder. But I've seen some liquid mineral foundation on Eds....is the liquid mineral stuff or powder better?

Ah, decisions..decisions!
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the recommendations for mineral makeup. With certain types of skin, the less ingredients sitting on it, the better. Most mineral makeups have few ingredients when compared to traditional liquid/cream foundations. It is possible to get great coverage with mineral makeup as long as it is done in with a few light applications on top of each other rather than one large heavy coat (this can look cakey and dry). There are so many brands of mineral makeup out there now that the best way is to sample a bunch to find the best formulation for your skin. Delphi has a mineral makeup forum (mineral makeup mania) with a list of website links to mineral makeup brands on its start page, and the ladies there are very knowledgeable about their mineral makeup.

Tina
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:41 am      Reply with quote
If you go to Jane Iredale’s website, I think you can find a list of retailers in the UK that carry JI. I do know that it’s available internationally, so that shouldn’t be a concern. Oh, you know what? I was wrong – you CAN order samples fromwww.skin-etc.com if you live outside the U.S.!! How great is that??

I know I probably sound like an advertising testimonial or something, but I have to say that since I switched to mineral foundation back in 2001, I’ve been busy trying to convince all of the women in my life (family, friends, coworkers) to switch over too. And once they have, they never go back to the other stuff -- I can even count my mom, who was a life-long user of the dreaded ‘pancake’ makeup, as being among the believers! The coverage you can get from mineral makeup is buildable so if your skin looks pretty good one day and you just need a sheer layer to even out your skintone, you can do that. Or if your skin is misbehaving during T-O-M or something, you can get that bit of extra coverage as well.

As far as whether or not you should use a liquid mineral foundation, I think it probably depends on your skin type but since I’ve only used powder versions, I can’t say for sure. I think Mabsy has tried all three versions of Jane Iredale (pressed, loose, liquid) and can probably answer your question better than I can. I have super-oily skin so I’ve never tried this myself, but I’ve heard that you can make your own custom liquid foundation by mixing/blending some of the powdered mineral foundation with a bit of your fave moisturizer. So there’s another option too.

The thing about powdered MMU is that virtually any skin-type can use them, even if you’ve got dry skin! The trick is to apply your moisturizer first and give it a chance to sink in before applying the MMU. Then, if desired, after applying the foundation, you can spritz your face with one of those water spritz thingys (sorry, the proper name escapes me at the moment!) to “set” the makeup. Personally, I’m in love with JI’s D2O spritz – I use it in lieu of a moisturizer!

Anyway, the point is that mineral makeups work on nearly every skin-type, so whether or not to choose liquid or powder form is mostly down to personal preference...at least IMO. Hopefully Mabsy can jump in here at some point and tell us the exact differences between the different formulation types.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, it looks like Mabsy has already weighed in...check out this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4127&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:30 am      Reply with quote
thanks so much for your all your advice, really appreciated Wink
Mabsy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto on the rec of mineral makeup! it - especially the Jane Iredale and GloMinerals. I also love the feeling of wearing mineral makeup in general - i.e. you don't feel like you're wearing any foundation. Dancing
lucy2
5% products discount

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:16 am      Reply with quote
I never thought I would switch to mineral makeup, but I am so glad I did. I love my Aromaleigh. So many of the MMU companies have great sampling policies too.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I made the switch to mineral makeup a month ago and I can honestly say it has changed my life. Seriously IT IS THAT GOOD! I will never go back to liquid foundation again. Everything they say about mineral make-up is true

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that here in the UK you are going to have a tough time finding a shop that sells mineral foundation Mad I know that QVC sell Bare Escentuals and so you could always get a pot of that and if you don't like it or its the wrong shade you can send it back and get your money back.

But I would really recommend getting the Bare Escentuals Bare Foundation kit from EDS . It's not too expensive and it comes with everything you need plus a video so you know exactly how to apply it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |