Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

does shipping harm products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anniezmoon

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Howdy-- I hope this is not a weird question: Now that the weather is getting warmer/hotter, do you think that skin care lotions and potions are damaged while sitting in really hot UPS/USP trucks and warehouses? Have you ever gotten products that didn't seem quite right -- changes in consistency and, potentially, in potency?

If so, what to do? Wait until the weather is cold again???

Thanks,

anniez
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Not a weird question at all. I think we have talked about this topic in the past.

Although I never noticed any issues I do try not to order skin care mid-winter or mid-summer to avoid the extreme temperatures.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Not a weird question at all. I think we have talked about this topic in the past.

Although I never noticed any issues I do try not to order skin care mid-winter or mid-summer to avoid the extreme temperatures.

I live in South Florida, 9+ years now and it's hot all year long (we may have a few cool spells) but nothing I have purchesed has been off, and I know it sits in hot trucks a good deal of the day here.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think as long as not placing the skincare products under sunlight directly they will be ok
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, heat can degrade a lot of products, especially if it contains water. YOu don't have to worry about the extreme cold though, because cold doesn't really damage products
karenlee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I once tried ordering DMAE from a plastic surgeon in USA; they wouldn't send it during summer due to degradation in the heat, they said it would be a waste of time. They would only send in winter.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:38 am      Reply with quote
All the products that we purchase (even food) get shipped all around the world, everyday of the year, year in year out - what's the point of worrying about it? Do you honestly think the French or the Swiss worry about the weather when they're shipping their perfume and skin care throughout the globe? If you do happen to purchase a product that looks off (which has never happened to me) just take it back to the store for a refund.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:48 am      Reply with quote
I think it's a bit different though - when big companies ship globally they have refridgeration units for storage, and procedures for getting products shipped quickly whereas when individuals order something it can sit around in heat (postal strikes/incompetence, customs etc) never intended for the product to experience.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 am      Reply with quote
karenlee wrote:
I think it's a bit different though - when big companies ship globally they have refridgeration units for storage, and procedures for getting products shipped quickly whereas when individuals order something it can sit around in heat (postal strikes/incompetence, customs etc) never intended for the product to experience.

Cosmetics and perfumes are not globally shipped in refrigerated containers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:18 am      Reply with quote
In reality it is not quite that simple.

Most commercial cosmetic and perfumes are immune to temperature changes due to their chemical content/preservatives and packaging/sealing.

However, for more natural products it may become an issue - anything containing enzymes, probiotics, royal jelly and many other ingredients would be extremely sensitive to temperature. Also sometimes light exposure(not during shipping obviously) and shipping carrier (which X-ray machines they are using) come into play. Some solve it via finding special containers, or doing only overnight shipping (with 24-hours ice packs), some just would not ship when the temperature rises, etc.

I would go with the manufacturer's guidelines.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:19 am      Reply with quote
What Kelui has mentioned is accurate. Unless its a food perishable its not shipped in temperature controlled containers/trucks.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:11 am      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:

Most commercial cosmetic and perfumes are immune to temperature changes due to their chemical content/preservatives and packaging/sealing.

However, for more natural products it may become an issue - anything containing enzymes, probiotics, royal jelly and many other ingredients would be extremely sensitive to temperature. Also sometimes light exposure(not during shipping obviously) and shipping carrier (which X-ray machines they are using) come into play. Some solve it via finding special containers, or doing only overnight shipping (with 24-hours ice packs), some just would not ship when the temperature rises, etc.

HTH

Hmm this makes me wonder about all the LUSH products... all of them are natural and they even so unstable that they are marked to expire within 3 weeks of purhcasing...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:

HTH

Before the products we purchase on the web are shipped to us - they have all been shipped from their place of manufacture to different locations all around the world. Most of the Royal Jelly products that I know of come from China. When they're shipped all over the world, I'm sure no regard is taken as to whether they're going somewhere hot or cold or in between.

It's pointless to worry about all of this - all you can do is check out the expiration date of the product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think shipping can affect skin care products. I try to place orders in the winter.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I think shipping can affect skin care products. I try to place orders in the winter.

But what if that product has been sitting around in some warehouse all through the Summer? This is ridiculous.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Well I guess all the skin care and cosmetics we have ever purchased weren't any good? They have to be shipped to stores too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

there are certain supplements/ingredients that are supposed to be kept at a certain temperature and not doing so renders them useless.

The Royal Jelly from prlabs, for example, can be purchased only with overnight shipping packed in ice. Bio-K is kept in Whole Foods in the refrigeration section, and a good salesperson would tell you to buy it right before you leave the store.

There used to be a company that made skin care products based on probiotics ( I believe it was Natren, but not sure) that would only send that overnight as well.

Where and how the original ingredient comes from I do not know, but I do know that prlabs checks every ingredient it gets and if it were no good they would not accept it. I suspect that they ship it in refrigerated containers but never checked since I know and trust them.

Perhaps, one of the reasons there are so many ineffective supplements is that the manufacturers disregard the requirements to cut a few corners...

In any case, I believe common sense should be used in all cases - I would not worry about Chanel or Cristian Dior creams.

The few companies I use - Dr. Alkaitis and Tonya Zavasta's - I order them all year without hesitation ( I had not seen anything on the ingredient's list to cause concerns) and have not found any difference.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
there are certain supplements/ingredients that are supposed to be kept at a certain temperature and not doing so renders them useless.

The Royal Jelly from prlabs, for example, can be purchased only with overnight shipping packed in ice. Bio-K is kept in Whole Foods in the refrigeration section, and a good salesperson would tell you to buy it right before you leave the store.

The Royal Jelly supplements that are sold here (in Australia) definitely aren't refrigerated. They just sit on the shelves of every health food shop and Asian shop. The only supplements that are refrigerated are the pro-biotics for intestinal health.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
There are different types of Royal Jelly supplements you can buy, liquid forms do need refrigeration, the freeze dried don't. Posting a link:

http://thenaturalshopper.com/resources/royal-jelly/royal-jelly-overview.html

Which royal jelly has most benefits, fresh or freeze dried ?
The favored process is lyophilizing or freeze-drying. This removes the water without effecting the nutrient quality of the product and creates a white powder which can be capsulated for human consumption. Once in capsulated form the product generally has a shelf life of 4 years and does not require refrigeration.
Many questions are raised about the nutritional quality of Royal Jelly, and usually relate to the issue of processing:- "freeze-dried versus non-freeze dried".
Freeze drying ‘locks-in’ the nutritional content of the product and removes any doubts about handling the product down the line. For example, if you choose liquid royal jelly which is sold as ‘requiring refrigeration’, how do you know that the product has been stored and transported in a refrigerated state, and that it isn’t in a partially decomposed state with diminished nutritive properties.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Here we have many varieties - some in the refrigerated sections, and some - on the shelves.

Unless it is specially processed to sustain higher temperature, it is fairly ineffective.

With the one from prlabs (it is a month supply) - one is supposed to put 1/4 of it into a container, and keep the rest in the freezer. The portion for a week is kept in a fridge and only leaves it when it is time to take it (it is kind of a salty gel, not too tasty, but very effective).

I believe that very "cutting a few corners" approach that makes majority of the supplements so ineffective.

Just the fact that it is being sold even in good and reputable stores does not really mean much.

They have an entire department that is dedicated to testing various supplements (at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC) and in one of their experiments with SAME they tried the supplements made by 30+ manufacturers and discovered that many did not even contain it or had too little of it.

That is why I am very careful with what I use.

HTH

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |