Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
retin a
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there i have recently just started using retn a o.5% .Can anyone please tell me is it best to put on alone or can i put my skincare on top or would that hinder the effects of it.I use karin herzog so not sure how to slot this in.Do i only use the retin a at night.Would love to hear your veiws kind regards
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
marcia36 wrote:
Hi there i have recently just started using retn a o.5% .Can anyone please tell me is it best to put on alone or can i put my skincare on top or would that hinder the effects of it.I use karin herzog so not sure how to slot this in.Do i only use the retin a at night.Would love to hear your veiws kind regards

Admittedly a newbie to RA just a few months use, but from all the posts by many long time users the recommendation is to use it alone. If absolutley needed a moisturizer about 30 minutes after is used by some. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
I use tretinoin cream 0.05% and find I don't need anything on top. I think you need to wait 45-60 min. afterwards before adding moisturizer if you really need it. It helps to start RA gradually to avoid side effects.
Use RA at night right before bed as light hinders the effectiveness. HTH
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Does waiting less than an hour "dilute" the RA?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Does waiting less than an hour "dilute" the RA?

I am using the cream and haven't found the need to use a moisturizer afterwards. The wait time seems to vary from one expert to the next? Here is one link where the MD says applying one after is fine. With a wait. Smile

http://www.buckinghamfacialplastics.com/forms/retin-a-instructions.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I use tretinoin cream 0.05% and find I don't need anything on top......

Me 2!

I apply RA on my skin the minute before jumping to bed as I have read somewhere that light decrease the effectiveness of tretinoin; also, it is light sensitive too!
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi thanks for your replies.do any of you put it on your neck and right under your eyes kind regards
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I feather it across my jaw line and apply it under my eyes up to about 1/2 inch from the eyelash line. I intend to get the weakest strength (.01%) to use on my neck/decolletage sometime next year or so.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 am      Reply with quote
marcia36 wrote:
Hi thanks for your replies.do any of you put it on your neck and right under your eyes kind regards

I do put it under my eyes and then top off with a little oil. Keep hoping it will help my under eye wrinkles!

5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:19 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I use tretinoin cream 0.05% and find I don't need anything on top. I think you need to wait 45-60 min. afterwards before adding moisturizer if you really need it. It helps to start RA gradually to avoid side effects.

wow~~ actually I dont think illuminations at home have that kind light "harmful" to skin...

difference of most home-use man-made lights and sun light is that home-use lights dont have ultra-violet light wave

correct me if I'm wrong
Very Happy
marcia36
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi thanks for your replies ,wats the next strenghth up from o.o5 kind regards
Karmi09

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
The next step up from 0.05 is 0.1 however it is pretty strong!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
lady_slow wrote:
brierrose wrote:

wow~~ actually I dont think illuminations at home have that kind light "harmful" to skin...

difference of most home-use man-made lights and sun light is that home-use lights dont have ultra-violet light wave

correct me if I'm wrong
Very Happy

So indoor UV exposure is much less of a concern than outdoor, but it's still possible, depending on the type and direction of light bulbs.

Here's an interesting reference: http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/uv-indoors.html
(Takeaway: halogen pointing at the ceiling ok; tons of unshielded fluorescent pointing at you not so good.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
lady_slow wrote:
brierrose wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong
Very Happy

Found this on Tretinoin and light degradation. Apparently Tretinoin gel microsphere remains quite stable in light.

http://www.ncbi.nim.nih.gov/pubmed/12469785
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, sorry that link doesn't work but if you do a search on Pubmed you can find the info if interested. HTH
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe I'm not understanding you properly, but I thought the reason we were to avoid wearing it in sunlight is because our skin would be more vulnerable, not the product.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding you properly, but I thought the reason we were to avoid wearing it in sunlight is because our skin would be more vulnerable, not the product.

That is the biggie Lori,
It causes photo-sensitivity of our skin so applying at night is recommended strongly.

For me the hour or so with a bedside lamp just is not enough light to concern myself with. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

From what I understand it is for both reasons but I tend to agree with DarkMoon that a bedside lamp wouldn't be enough to worry about. I've just got in the habit of applying right before going to sleep.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Oops, sorry that link doesn't work but if you do a search on Pubmed you can find the info if interested. HTH

Brierrose,

I could only find 2 studies. Is it one of them that you are talking about?

"Chemical stability of adapalene and tretinoin when combined with benzoyl peroxide in presence and in absence of visible light and ultraviolet radiation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9990414

"UVA is the major contributor to the photodegradation of tretinoin and isotretinoin: Implications for development of improved pharmaceutical formulations."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18093761
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

Light breaks down the active ingredient in RA, and even light bulbs are supposed to break it down somewhat.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Summer for finding those studies!
Helpful for anyone wanting clarity on UV light degrading the Tretinoin.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/does-light-break-down-tretinoin-retin-a-cream/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2575767/

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |