Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Summer is coming, time to load up on sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Hi Dee, can u tell me the ingredients in it? Btw, r u acne prone? It says it's tinted, so how's the tint like? Thanks!

Ingredients for Obagi Rosaclear Skin Balancing Sun Protection SPF 30:

Zinc Oxide 15.5% Titanium Dioxide 2.0%. Alumina, Butylparaben, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coco-glucoside, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Ethylparaben, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Iron Oxides, Isobutylparaben, Isohexadecane, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate/Triethoxycaprylylsilane Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Mica, PEG-6, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Yes I am acne prone and it does not break me out at all. The tint is good for hiding blemishes and uneven skin tone.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Just keep in mind if you use it as a booster (as in, adding it into a moisturiser), you are not getting anywhere near SPF 30.

Actually, you can get SPF 30 as long as you apply after you've applied your moisturizer. Only if you mix it into your moisturizer will you decrease its SPF (according to dermalogica)
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Yes I am acne prone and it does not break me out at all. The tint is good for hiding blemishes and uneven skin tone.

Is it good for darker skin tones?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I just found LaVanilla physical sunscreen. I love it, I have never read anything about it anywhere, but its the first one that I've tried doesn't migrate and doesn't look like chalk or feel greasy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Josh wrote:
Just keep in mind if you use it as a booster (as in, adding it into a moisturiser), you are not getting anywhere near SPF 30.

Actually, you can get SPF 30 as long as you apply after you've applied your moisturizer. Only if you mix it into your moisturizer will you decrease its SPF (according to dermalogica)

Which is exactly what I said.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I have been using DermaDoctor Body Guard SPF 30 Oil-Free for Face and Body Sunscreen for about 6 years now (on my face). I love it and have tried others (such as SkinCeuticals), but always go back to the DermaDoctor. I like that it doesn't make me breakout (I have oily skin with blemishes at times) and it dries to a nice matte finish. No white cast on the skin. But, now I am looking for a higher SPF sunscreen. I am looking at the Kate Somerville Protect SPF 55 Serum Sunscreen(oil-free) at Sephora, it's expensive though at $45.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
hahaha ive been loading up on my sunscreen

sunscreen spf 50+, then follow up with a spf 50+ bb cream, and finally a powder pact with spf 50+

spf 150 !! lol

Your level of protection is still spf 50. You have three layers of protection but the spf does not increase.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
I've been trying out cliniderm protective lotion spf 45. It's made specifically for sensitive skin and so far I haven't had any reactions to it.

Here is my review with ingredients on the cliniderm. SDM usually has testers so you can try it on your hand.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=523774&highlight=neostrata+cliniderm#523774

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
Josh wrote:

Which is exactly what I said.

Oh I just thought you meant that there was no way of getting the acclaimed SPF with boosters
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
So I just recently spoke with an esthetician and she told me that physical sunscreens are not good for acne prone skin because the tiny particles can enter the pores and occlude them. I was pretty disappointed by this because I've heard from other people that it's good for acne-prone skin because it's not as irritating. So is it true or not?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
So I just recently spoke with an esthetician and she told me that physical sunscreens are not good for acne prone skin because the tiny particles can enter the pores and occlude them. I was pretty disappointed by this because I've heard from other people that it's good for acne-prone skin because it's not as irritating. So is it true or not?

As with many things, it depends. ZO is slightly drying and has helped many acneic folks, and TD is a larger molecule, so maybe more likely to clog. However, both are often fine in a makeup-like formulation designed to just sit on top of skin and not penetrate. Good cleansing is a bit more difficult with many ZO formulations, so that's a factor too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Darn, just when I thought I found the perfect physical sunscreen too =/
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I picked up a bottle of Cliniderm SPF45 the other day and I am really liking it. Non irritating and drys to a nice smooth matte finish...but it is micronized. So what is the consensus on the safety of micronized physical sunscreens? TIA
paulspnao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Personally, I believe in allowing a little sunshine for my kids because it is the best source of Vitamin D. However, research also shows that you only need about 20 minutes a day to receive adequate Vitamin D.
On the other hand, there are also studies (and I will try and locate them later, I am too tired now - it is bedtime here, LOL), that indicate the chemicals in many sunscreens are actually causing cancer too, so you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Thanks for sharing.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I picked up a bottle of Cliniderm SPF45 the other day and I am really liking it. Non irritating and drys to a nice smooth matte finish...but it is micronized. So what is the consensus on the safety of micronized physical sunscreens? TIA

I think the consensus is that micro is safe, but nano not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

I bought that and it really does look great on skin. However, it may have been the culprit to my recent blackhead outbreak on my nose (due to the clogging abilities of the physical sunscreens) or it may have been my reaction to BHA's. I plan to re-introduce it into my skin routine soon to see if that really is what caused me to break out, so I'll let you guys know when that happens.
Bree5666
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 am      Reply with quote
I've tried a few and Devita is one of the better ones. Neutregena sheer balls up on me so I stopped using it. Might have to do with the various layers of skincare?
Karin Herzog works well for me too but I think the level of protection might not be enough for me when I'm outdoors for extended number of hours.
I've just ordered from EDS Skin Biology Day Cover as well as Jan Marini Spf30.
Jimm
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I just came across this organic ZO SPF 30 moisturizer/SS. Looks very interesting. It seems to have a clean ingredient list.
The whole line looks amazing IMO. Feels like a nice and trustable company.

http://www.petitemarieorganics.co.uk/products/Ounce-of-Prevention-Mineral-Sun-Cream-SPF-30-with-Antioxidants.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:55 am      Reply with quote
rockhugger wrote:
brierrose wrote:

No that is not the consensus. There is hand wringing and fear mongering about nano size physical sunscreen but it has never been shown to be harmful. Zinc oxide, definitely harmless no matter what when applied to the skin in a cream/lotion type formulation. Titanium dioxide did show some harm but when I read the studies they injected the titanium dioxide into the veins of the rats and that's not how we apply sunscreen.

But yes, micro is certainly safe.

Regarding acne- that's a shame that someone told you that physical sunscreen is not good for acne prone skin Not true at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Jimm wrote:
I just came across this organic ZO SPF 30 moisturizer/SS. Looks very interesting. It seems to have a clean ingredient list.
The whole line looks amazing IMO. Feels like a nice and trustable company.
http://www.petitemarieorganics.co.uk/products/Ounce-of-Prevention-Mineral-Sun-Cream-SPF-30-with-Antioxidants.html

The ingredients look good to me.

May you buy one jar & tell us how you find it Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
rockhugger wrote:
brierrose wrote:

No that is not the consensus. There is hand wringing and fear mongering about nano size physical sunscreen but it has never been shown to be harmful. Zinc oxide, definitely harmless no matter what when applied to the skin in a cream/lotion type formulation. Titanium dioxide did show some harm but when I read the studies they injected the titanium dioxide into the veins of the rats and that's not how we apply sunscreen.

But yes, micro is certainly safe.

Regarding acne- that's a shame that someone told you that physical sunscreen is not good for acne prone skin Not true at all.

Even the EWG (Environmental Working Group) notoriously cautious about ingredients rescinded their stance not only on micro but nano sized particles.

""When we began our sunscreen investigation at the Environmental Working Group, our researchers thought we would ultimately recommend against micronized and nano-sized zinc and titanium dioxide. After all, no one has taken a more expansive and critical look than EWG at the use of nanoparticles in cosmetics and sunscreens, including the lack of definitive safety data and consumer information on these common ingredients, and few substances more dramatically highlight gaps in our system of public health protections than the raw materials used in the bizarre and burgeoning field of nanotechnology. But 18 months, 800 products, and nearly 400 peer-reviewed studies later, we find ourselves drawing a different conclusion, and recommending some sunscreens that contain nano-sized ingredients.”

Nano Zinc Oxide? Hundreds of Studies Show It’s Safe! Really! | Clean Green Cafe"

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:28 am      Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, they were not 100% confident in their recommendations regarding nano particles, but on balance, decided that between the two evils - sun damage or nanos - sun damage was worse.

When in doubt, wear it.

Which one to wear? HA HA HA - that is a completely different story.

BF
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
If I recall correctly, they were not 100% confident in their recommendations regarding nano particles, but on balance, decided that between the two evils - sun damage or nanos - sun damage was worse.

When in doubt, wear it.

Which one to wear? HA HA HA - that is a completely different story.

BF

They do say they find themselves recommending some brands containing nanoparticles! Laughing

Which one indeed, and those of us in sunny, warm climates it's a year round staple. All should wear SS all days, but I know in Florida I wouldn't dream of going unprotected!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Everyone!! I'm so glad the micro is safe cause I'm really liking Cliniderm so far and now I can feel okay about using it!

Thanks to Autumn and oasisjc for recommending it! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |