Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Review: Natural Instinct Micro-mineral Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
This is a review for the Natural Instinct Micro-Mineral Sunscreen:

http://www.naturalinstinct.com.au/Product.aspx/Sun/Micro-MineralSunscreen

And the review should be called "What were they thinking?!"

It is a zinc oxide sunscreen from Australia, and I used to like the old formulation. Recently, I ordered the new one.

I must say I have pretty pale skin, but after applying the NI sunscreen my face looked as white as a doctor's coat! After rubbing it for 15 minutes hoping the white cast will disappear I washed it off with soap. What were the manufacturers thinking?
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
This is a review for the Natural Instinct Micro-Mineral Sunscreen:

http://www.naturalinstinct.com.au/Product.aspx/Sun/Micro-MineralSunscreen

And the review should be called "What were they thinking?!"

It is a zinc oxide sunscreen from Australia, and I used to like the old formulation. Recently, I ordered the new one.

I must say I have pretty pale skin, but after applying the NI sunscreen my face looked as white as a doctor's coat! After rubbing it for 15 minutes hoping the white cast will disappear I washed it off with soap. What were the manufacturers thinking?

I couldn't agree more RussianSunshine, as I used to use this when if absorbed better and didn't leave you looking like a clown!!! Bad Grin However it is more of a Zinc based product these days and it kind of makes me think of a cricketer like merv Hughes who used to wear Zinc across his nose. lol

I do often wonder why some companies feel the need to change a product when it is perfect to begin with??? At first I thought it was the batch and sent it back, however when I received my replacement it was identical!!! So I will leave it now and use something else that I can apply makeup over without it going all ball like on me!! Shock Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 am      Reply with quote
There was some issue with the Natural Instinct Sunscreen - I can't remember the exact details, but apparently it wasn't totally organic and they got into some trouble about the labelling of the product. They must have re-formulated it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
do you have the % of zinc oxide, i can't find it on the website that you provided.

I would rather to put it on body instead of face =)
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:48 am      Reply with quote
queenielau718 wrote:
do you have the % of zinc oxide, i can't find it on the website that you provided.

I would rather to put it on body instead of face =)

The website says: Zinc Oxide 220mg/g.

Means Zinc Oxide 22%.
RF

Wed May 16, 2012 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
This product uses micronized zinc oxide. Micronized metal oxides are not as small as nanoparticle versions, so they are more opaque. Nano zinc particles are 20-50 times smaller than micron-sized zinc particles.

The white appearance you're seeing is from the micron-sized zinc oxide. The thing is... micronized zinc is safe while nano zinc is most likely not. That's because as the metal oxides become smaller, they absorb rather than reflect UV light and cause oxidation damage to tissues. The opposite of an anti-oxidant, an oxidant is bad news for DNA/aging.

So, you can trade less ghosting for skin damage. Personally, I'm willing to become pale to prevent sun damage. However, there are some products that have iron oxide as a tinting agent. They appear more brown and don't cause the ghost look.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
RF wrote:
This product uses micronized zinc oxide. Micronized metal oxides are not as small as nanoparticle versions, so they are more opaque. Nano zinc particles are 20-50 times smaller than micron-sized zinc particles.

The white appearance you're seeing is from the micron-sized zinc oxide. The thing is... micronized zinc is safe while nano zinc is most likely not. That's because as the metal oxides become smaller, they absorb rather than reflect UV light and cause oxidation damage to tissues. The opposite of an anti-oxidant, an oxidant is bad news for DNA/aging.

So, you can trade less ghosting for skin damage. Personally, I'm willing to become pale to prevent sun damage. However, there are some products that have iron oxide as a tinting agent. They appear more brown and don't cause the ghost look.

I just posted this on another thread I may be (wrongly) assuming that size is a standard?

On a metric conversion site 1 micro=1000 nano?

http://www.unit-conversion.info/metric.html

Also another option is get a matching MMU and mix a bit in your palm with your SS and no white cast! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like this sunscreen is good and safe! Great news since I like to use it on my body!

RF, what are those products that contain iron oxide AND micronized zinc oxide??

RF wrote:

RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Also another option is get a matching MMU and mix a bit in your palm with your SS and no white cast! Very Happy

DM, what a great suggestion! I'll definitely try it!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

DM, what a great suggestion! I'll definitely try it!

Thanks RS,

As long as it is a physical SS it works like a charm! Bye Bye white cast!!! Very Happy

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |