Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Any products to increase elastin in skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
There're many products out there claiming to increase collagen production in the skin but what about elastin? I read that they both work hand in hand...without elastin, skin will sag and wrinkle as it's what holding it all up together. But sadly, topical can't do much as the molecules are not small enough to penetrate to the bottom of the skin. So I'm wondering if there're any internal supplement to replenish those elastin/ collagen in us as we age. But I also heard even those collagen supplement would go to the bones instead of the skin...so yeh pls share ladies! Very Happy
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 am      Reply with quote
There's some research that zinc promotes elastin production: http://www.skinandaging.com/article/7850
Zinc is in some products by Relastin and Cellex-C, and often in healing ointments, like the Euro "Cica-" ones by LRP, Avene, and Bioderma, and I imagine that internal zinc is helpful too. (I wonder, however, if keeping the skin thick and plumped up with collagen goes a ways towards reducing the strain on the elastin fibers...)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Actually, too much elastin in your skin can cause it to sag because you're basically allowing your skin to stretch. It's sort of like having a really long elastic band vs a very short one. If you pull either one, the long one won't be as "taut" as the short one so you probably don't want too much elastin in your skin
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
The main supplements for this purpose would probably be zinc and copper in the correct ratios.

There was a study to measure the effects of a topical zinc-copper complex on elastin levels but have no idea if and how this translates to oral supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19400831
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Actually, too much elastin in your skin can cause it to sag because you're basically allowing your skin to stretch. It's sort of like having a really long elastic band vs a very short one. If you pull either one, the long one won't be as "taut" as the short one so you probably don't want too much elastin in your skin

Think it would be more like a thicker elastic band and thus more resilient skin.
havana8

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
You might like this thread, Stardustdy:

Skin Barrier and Elastin
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30688
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I did not notice anything improved after using up 2 jars of Relastin
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
oasisjc wrote:

Think it would be more like a thicker elastic band and thus more resilient skin.

from what I know,elastin can't be constructed in that manner as each elastin fibre has a specific structure. If your cells synthesize more elastin by making them thicker, the structure would be compromised, which would not be good for your skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Topical collagen and elastin
Collagen and elastin are important structural components of the skin. Loss of collagen and elastin in the dermis (the inner layer of the skin) leads to wrinkles and facial sag, whereas replenishing these substances in the dermis may partially reverse signs of aging. Nonetheless, creams with collagen and elastin are useless because these substances are large proteins which cannot penetrate the skin deep enough to have any lasting effect. Fortunately, ways to introduce collagen into the dermis do exist (see the article on Collagen in the Treatments section of this site).

http://www.smartskincare.com/smartchoices/waste.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I use a cream called Elastica bounceback cream.

I have used it for years, considering being a skin care junkie that says a lot, lol!! Very Happy
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

from what I know,elastin can't be constructed in that manner as each elastin fibre has a specific structure. If your cells synthesize more elastin by making them thicker, the structure would be compromised, which would not be good for your skin.

Found these studies to show elastin stimulation (in vitro). To me it appears the elastin content has increased in all dimensions, both length and thickness as well as there just generally being more of it.

http://www.pg100.com/riutort/resources/designs/forticelle/elastin_fibrillin.htm
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, so I guess the only way to increase collagen & elastin production is to undergo injection huh? Nothing topical is gonna work then Sad So all those cream/serum that claims to increase collagen production is not true? Confused

Oh well, anybody out there taking a Zinc Complex supplement? & how does that help in terms of your skin? Or any supplement out there that can help? Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |