Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Cleanse/Detox - Is it worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
evilemma

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 am      Reply with quote
It's moving into summer pretty quickly, and I am tempted to do a cleanse (the BluePrint Cleanse) to feel more svelte. I am not sure how much I buy into it though; it sounds a little like a fad, and I already eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink water, and don't smoke. Has anyone tried a cleanse? And if so, how long did you do one, and what were your experiences? They are so expensive, that I am having a hard time justifying the cost. I would love to hear your opinions.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 am      Reply with quote
evilemma wrote:
It's moving into summer pretty quickly, and I am tempted to do a cleanse (the BluePrint Cleanse) to feel more svelte. I am not sure how much I buy into it though; it sounds a little like a fad, and I already eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink water, and don't smoke. Has anyone tried a cleanse? And if so, how long did you do one, and what were your experiences? They are so expensive, that I am having a hard time justifying the cost. I would love to hear your opinions.

My personal opinion and only mine is if you are eating a healthy diet, exercising, and eliminating properly there is no need. Our bodies do a very good job of ridding itself of toxins as long as the liver and kidneys are healthy, and digestive issues aren't present. I would not waste the money.
If you wish to rid a few pounds, cut calories a bit, eat even more vegetables and watch sodium, a lot can be retained water. JMHO Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
My personal opinion and only mine is if you are eating a healthy diet, exercising, and eliminating properly there is no need. Our bodies do a very good job of ridding itself of toxins as long as the liver and kidneys are healthy, and digestive issues aren't present. I would not waste the money.
If you wish to rid a few pounds, cut calories a bit, eat even more vegetables and watch sodium, a lot can be retained water. JMHO Very Happy

I totally agree with this.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't eat crap, you don't need one. Waste of money.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
evilemma wrote:

I agree with this as well. Our bodies are very good at getting rid of toxins and such, and depriving yourself of nutrients to get rid of toxins is not the best idea. The only reason why you would want to do a cleanse is to get rid of any parasites in your intestinal tract, but would be better accomplished through usage of medicine rather than a cleanse
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've never done a cleanse, but just read about the one endorsed by Gwyneth Paltrow - based on the book "Clean" by Dr. Alejandro Junger.
"Clean" excludes dairy, wheat, refined sugar, caffeine and alcohol...sounds like a blast, doesn't it, lol!!!
...now I know why Gwyneth Paltrow looks so incredibly thin..
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I used to share that same opinion, but I have to say I no longer agree with this. In these days, we bombard our system with toxins and our bodies aren't able to get rid of all of them. Even if you eat healthy, you still have toxins in your body (we breathe them in, they're on our food in the shops etc). Plus thats not to mention parasites etc our bodies hold. The very first time I did a proper detox, it was remarkable. I noticed a huge difference in my skin and energy levels and so did others so there's definitely benefit in doing them.

Our bodies do the best they can with what they got, but we don't always realise the effects of our actions and sometimes we overload our bodies with things.

DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Detox is widely thought to be quackery:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

...mainly detox plans that require purchasing pills, herbs, etc - a bit of a scam, in my opinion...
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I've never done a cleanse but I'm on the fence with this. There are all kinds of methods of detoxifying - some intense and some mild & ongoing, so I'm not actually sure what's being discussed here. I once had a accupuncturist tell me that people and animals naturally do a detox in the spring and summer since we start sweating and drinking more fluids and eating more fruit & vegetables. That made sense.

But I keep thinking about our insides somewhat coated and gummed up with crud... just like our faces can be. We do all these things to treat them - apply clay masks, enzyme peels, vit c etc to improve how our skin functions and breaths etc. I don't see a problem with doing similar things with our insides - drinking clay, etc.

I don't know what exactly is in all those packaged detox concoctions but I'd imagine some of them just distill the effective ingredients in the natural stuff, the same way they do in skincare products.

I'm kind of against doing dramatic, upsetting things to our system though. The closest thing I've ever done is drink clay, or do a salt water flush, and the burst of energy I got after the salt water flush was amazing. It was gross to drink and uncomfortable passing it though so I haven't continued. And I don't think I'd ever starve myself... though I might just eat rice, veggies & broth for a few days. Ideally I'd prefer to incorporate things into my diet that have a mild, ongoing detoxifying/cleansing/balancing effect - like acv, or lemon etc. But I'm not against doing some kind of "treatments" from time to time if they're not too disruptive.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I agree. I've been looking at the $$ Vitamix 5200 lately and think it may be just about as healthy to drink some good veggie juice on a regular basis. The Vitamix pulverizes the whole vegetable and is less messy to use than a juicer. I believed in cleanses when I was younger but no longer do.

DarkMoon wrote:
evilemma wrote:

WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently getting acupressure done (similar to acupuncture) and the lady knows a lot about nutrition, so I'm learning some things from her. Unfortunately for many years I worked in an office that was later on discovered was built on contaminated soil. My health used to be great but then slowly declined while working there. I now suffer from migraines and have digestive issues which I'd like to cure. Anyway, she has me trying Chlorella but it's strong for me and I find Wheat Grass easier and MSM so I'm detoxing in a much slower way and only doing so to help my health problems. (P.S. I have an allium intolerance.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
My husband swears by it (he does the lemonade cleanse which costs nothing) but I'm very very skeptical. I think a lot of people have really good results doing them but I am not sure how much is just improving their diet afterwards/cutting out all the bad stuff for 2 weeks. Also, the hunger high probably makes you feel good for a minute...
I don't know, personally, I tend to agree with Dark Moon.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 am      Reply with quote
But not all detox plans follow that routing. Sure I do not believe bills and herbs are necessary, but I have tried some cleansing detos which do use some herbal supplements and it did have a major effect but I suspect its one of those things that is similar to facial exercises, where you will always have some people swear they work and some that don't.

All I know is that whilst our bodies do at times go through cleansing periods, we often overload our bodies with toxins through a variety of sources. Take for example tap water - that has like 23 different chemicals in it here in the UK. Some of which whilst are in small doses can be quite toxic. Add to that foods we've bought and eaten which have been sprayed with pestacides etc and you already got a lot of toxins that your body has to process on top of its other jobs its got to do.

Gretchen the vitamix is used several times a day in my house for myself, hubby and kids. I couldn't live without it for sure. Its not only good for making smoothies (and your right you get the fibre from vegetables that you don't get from juicing, but you also can make soups, ice cream even. Plus it came with a recipie book and the service from that company (over here) is second to none. I've contacted them several times, once because I got the plunger thing cut up by the blades in the machine and I had a new one sent to me free of charge within 2 days. Excellent product in my opinion!

clustersof3 wrote:
Keliu wrote:

...mainly detox plans that require purchasing pills, herbs, etc - a bit of a scam, in my opinion...
evilemma

Mon May 02, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Just to be clear, the detox/cleanse I am referring to is a juice cleanse. The cleanse consists of several different fruit/vegetable/nut juices that are delivered to your door with the intention of flushing your system of toxins and providing an intense amount of vitamins and nutrition to the body. The juices for one day's cleanse have approximately 1200 calories, so you are not starving yourself.
evilemma

Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
I agree. I've been looking at the $$ Vitamix 5200 lately and think it may be just about as healthy to drink some good veggie juice on a regular basis. The Vitamix pulverizes the whole vegetable and is less messy to use than a juicer. I believed in cleanses when I was younger but no longer do.

Yea, I am thinking a high-powered blender, like the Vitamix, might be the way to go.
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am      Reply with quote
evilemma wrote:
Yea, I am thinking a high-powered blender, like the Vitamix, might be the way to go.

Try going the natural route to cleansing and by that I mean NOT purchasing some program. The late great Jack LaLanne would sometimes do a watermelon fast where he and his wife would just eat watermelon as a cleanse for a day.

I personally have never done a "cleanse or detox" program but the closest I came to doing something like a cleanse was when I went an entire summer month eating nothing but fruit, lettuces, nuts and seeds - this included green smoothies too. Amazing journey and I had energy galore - my skin was to die for and it was almost a 'spiritual' experience.

Now, I eat a lot of raw foods, green smoothies, fruits, nuts and seeds, and I do eat cooked veggies, cooked tubers and brown rice and oats. They ground me a little. You will buzz like a hummingbird on nothing but juices and fruits for any length of time. My blender is a Vitamix and I couldn't be w/out it.

Good luck to you!!

Gidget
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
But not all detox plans follow that routing. Sure I do not believe bills and herbs are necessary, but I have tried some cleansing detos which do use some herbal supplements and it did have a major effect but I suspect its one of those things that is similar to facial exercises, where you will always have some people swear they work and some that don't.

All I know is that whilst our bodies do at times go through cleansing periods, we often overload our bodies with toxins through a variety of sources. Take for example tap water - that has like 23 different chemicals in it here in the UK. Some of which whilst are in small doses can be quite toxic. Add to that foods we've bought and eaten which have been sprayed with pestacides etc and you already got a lot of toxins that your body has to process on top of its other jobs its got to do.

Gretchen the vitamix is used several times a day in my house for myself, hubby and kids. I couldn't live without it for sure. Its not only good for making smoothies (and your right you get the fibre from vegetables that you don't get from juicing, but you also can make soups, ice cream even. Plus it came with a recipie book and the service from that company (over here) is second to none. I've contacted them several times, once because I got the plunger thing cut up by the blades in the machine and I had a new one sent to me free of charge within 2 days. Excellent product in my opinion!

clustersof3 wrote:
Keliu wrote:

I have 2 Vitamix blenders TM, my old metal one and a newer 5200. Couldn't go a day without, I don't drink tap water at all, as a matter of fact always have bottled water in the house and also a very good purifier attached under the kitchen tap. I buy organic fruits and veggies and have organic cleaner for use on all as an extra precaution. Same for grains, breads, pasta, you name it only organic free range meat, fish and poultry.
I feel that I just have no need personally to detox, especially paying for a plan of overpriced pills and supplements, I already take very "loaded" whole food supplements along with others including a probiotic from an organic brand.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thats great DarkMoon but you know what if your using the Vitamix you may even without realising it be doing a food detox especially if your eating healthy and not drinking tap water - as the essential nutrients are getting into your body. Thats really what I think detoxing is about cleansing our bodies of chemicals and other things it doesn't need and providing it with nutrients.

I don't think of pills as a good way of detoxing at all especially if they are chemically artificially made, but that being said I think like most things any efforts at detoxing are better than non aren't they as we're all carrying toxins around. Even with your good diet, your breathing in air with them in - its impossible to avoid them but what helps is stopping them from building up and becoming a problem.
DarkMoon wrote:
I have 2 Vitamix blenders TM, my old metal one and a newer 5200. Couldn't go a day without, I don't drink tap water at all, as a matter of fact always have bottled water in the house and also a very good purifier attached under the kitchen tap. I buy organic fruits and veggies and have organic cleaner for use on all as an extra precaution. Same for grains, breads, pasta, you name it only organic free range meat, fish and poultry.
I feel that I just have no need personally to detox, especially paying for a plan of overpriced pills and supplements, I already take very "loaded" whole food supplements along with others including a probiotic from an organic brand.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Thats great DarkMoon but you know what if your using the Vitamix you may even without realising it be doing a food detox especially if your eating healthy and not drinking tap water - as the essential nutrients are getting into your body. Thats really what I think detoxing is about cleansing our bodies of chemicals and other things it doesn't need and providing it with nutrients.

I don't think of pills as a good way of detoxing at all especially if they are chemically artificially made, but that being said I think like most things any efforts at detoxing are better than non aren't they as we're all carrying toxins around. Even with your good diet, your breathing in air with them in - its impossible to avoid them but what helps is stopping them from building up and becoming a problem.
DarkMoon wrote:

I agree, I believe a diet such as mine, the whole food supplements, sweating, healthy fluid intake and normal elimination detoxes our bodies naturally. Those with a more standard diet I can see where there may be an advantage. I notice many on other threads have issues with constipation (not an issue I share), I would think in that case looking into the diet as a whole would be a wise choice. Gentle and natural detox in that case I could see an advantage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Last January I did a two week cleanse sold by the Eleven Eleven Wellness clinic in New York. http://www.bewellbydrfranklipman.com/

I wanted to change my eating habits and wanted to do something to jump start the change. The cleanse was wonderful and so easy to do. You have three shakes a day, supplements and eat two light meals per day. The first few days were rough because you have to stop drinking caffeine so there's some caffeine withdrawal and headaches. They suggest that you taper off caffeine the week before but I didn't I just went cold turkey. On the fourth day I woke up feeling great, no headaches. I just felt really refreshed and clear-minded. It was like a natural high. The cleanse successfully cleaned me out and started me on my way to changing my eating habits. I lost eight pounds in the two weeks and with the change in eating habits I lost twelve more pounds. I haven't gained any of it back either. Unfortunately, I stopped losing weight around the middle of March but I haven't gained anything back. I did fall off the wagon and have not being eating as healthy as I was. So, I've decided to do the cleanse again and get me back on track and hopefully lose another 20 pounds this year.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried detoxing with Japanese Foot Pads, which you wear overnight?
Did you gain any benefit from them, or are they a scam?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I agree, I believe a diet such as mine, the whole food supplements, sweating, healthy fluid intake and normal elimination detoxes our bodies naturally. Those with a more standard diet I can see where there may be an advantage. I notice many on other threads have issues with constipation (not an issue I share), I would think in that case looking into the diet as a whole would be a wise choice. Gentle and natural detox in that case I could see an advantage.

Hmmm, this got me thinking.. I've been a little constipated recently (TMI I know!) but I know that I've also been somewhat dehydrated. Drinking a lot of water (though inconsistently) hasn't seemed to make a difference (there, or to my parched lips), and it makes me think back to the thread where we were discussing the necessity of watery fruit or veggies in order to properly hydrate the body. I know that I haven't been eating enough of those lately either (just got neglectful & lazy).

And I agree, if something like constipation is an ongoing problem for someone, that's probably an indication that an, as she said, gentle, natural detox may be helpful.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:35 am      Reply with quote
I did several three day periods during which I ate nothing and only drank freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juice (mostly green veg and carrot though). I lost about 3 lb each time, and felt great. I liked feeling light for about a week or two after, and mostly eating raw veg and vegan foods. My skin looked great...a little orange but not bad Smile
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:36 am      Reply with quote
I did several three day periods during which I ate nothing and only drank freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juice (mostly green veg and carrot though). I lost about 3 lb each time, and felt great. I liked feeling light for about a week or two after, and mostly eating raw veg and vegan foods. My skin looked great...a little orange but not bad Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |