Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Using Retin A and Azelaic Acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Currently I am using both retin A and Azelaic Acid on a daily basis. This seems to be an effective regime for me and has helped with the course bumpy skin I tend to have with many blocked pores. I am happy to keep using both but they are both strong prescription drugs. I use the retin a at night and the Azelaic Acid in the morning followed by some moisturiser with an spf 25. I use a mild cleanser, the clarisonic and a clay mask now and again.

Has anyone else used this combo of topicals before and if so can it be used long term?

Thanks!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I use this combination as well. Since my skin condition is stable, I don't use Retin A every day. I use it 3x a week.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:06 am      Reply with quote
I've used them both - at the same time. But the Azelaic Acid I used was non prescription - just bought OTC, it was called Finacea Gel.

If you are having success with this combination and your skin is not showing any signs of irritation, I would continue. You can always cut out the Azelaic Acid later down the track.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Keliu, Finacea is a Prescription medication in most countries. My guess is you purchased it from Australia where it's a pharmacy only medicine with no prescription required. It's the same formula though as in other counties.

I used Finacea and Retin-A for some time with no issues. Azelaic acid is actually also a potent antioxidant so is good for your skin's health.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Keliu, Finacea is a Prescription medication in most countries. My guess is you purchased it from Australia where it's a pharmacy only medicine with no prescription required. It's the same formula though as in other counties.

Yes, you're right, I'm in Oz - I should have mentioned that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm from Oz - Brisbane. I've been in the UK for 5 years now though.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Keliu & Josh,

May I know which strength you're using.

All Day Chemist has Finacea in both 10% & 20%.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

I used Finacea and Retin-A for some time with no issues. Azelaic acid is actually also a potent antioxidant so is good for your skin's health.

Josh, what has the combo done for your skin? I am interested in the Azelaic acid for pigmentation issues, actually, and was thinking of trying the combo. However, I read on a couple of places that Azelaic doesn't work well on freckles, etc.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl,

It lightened a lot of my pigmentation (caused by sun damage), generally brightened my skin and helped with acne (inflammatory and blackheads). I've not used the combo daily for a couple of years, though I still use Finacea 1-2 times a week as a treatment.

Azelaic acid is quite effective in treating some forms of hyperpigmentation. I think, like all treatments, results vary greatly between people.

http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/azelaic-acid.html
http://www.smartskincare.com/conditions/pigmentation/hyperpigmentation-treatments.html
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/482649_4
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Summer2004,

Finacea (brand-name) is only available at 15%. Skinoren (as it's known in some countries) is a cream and available at 20%.

I've never purchased generics from All Day Chemist. If you do, understand that you may not get the same results that you would buying a brand-name product. The reason being the bases are often different and that can affect the drug's performance. A perfect example of this is All Day Chemist's tretinoin gel. The base, instead of being primarily composed of alcohol as it is in brand-name Retin-A is an olive-ester and many people break out from it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
rileygirl,

It lightened a lot of my pigmentation (caused by sun damage), generally brightened my skin and helped with acne (inflammatory and blackheads). I've not used the combo daily for a couple of years, though I still use Finacea 1-2 times a week as a treatment.

Azelaic acid is quite effective in treating some forms of hyperpigmentation. I think, like all treatments, results vary greatly between people.

http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/azelaic-acid.html
http://www.smartskincare.com/conditions/pigmentation/hyperpigmentation-treatments.html
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/482649_4

Thanks for the reply, Josh. I guess you are right, the results can vary and I just have to try it to see if it works for me!
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info! I will keep using this combo with caution and see how I go. I have noticed my skin tone seems more even using the Azelaic acid. I think they both work well with my skin one on it's own doesn't seem to be enough!
tarapaca
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
I use finacea daily to treat my rosacea. So far it's worked better than anything else. I'm in the US but purchase online, without a prescription, from epharmacy in Australia. It's around $22 a tube, which is probably more than you'd pay for a generic from inhouse pharmacy, but buying from Australia you know you're getting the real thing.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:17 am      Reply with quote
tarapaca wrote:
I use finacea daily to treat my rosacea. So far it's worked better than anything else. I'm in the US but purchase online, without a prescription, from epharmacy in Australia. It's around $22 a tube, which is probably more than you'd pay for a generic from inhouse pharmacy, but buying from Australia you know you're getting the real thing.

Thank you, tarapaca. I was going to go with inhousepharmacy. So, you have not had any issues with ordering from epharmacy? And, how long does it take to get to the US?
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I've not had any issues with the 17 orders I've placed so far with epharmacy.com.au, rileygirl.

Most of the gals on MUA who've ordered from them say it takes 7-10 days for their orders to arrive in the US.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
I've not had any issues with the 17 orders I've placed so far with epharmacy.com.au, rileygirl.

Most of the gals on MUA who've ordered from them say it takes 7-10 days for their orders to arrive in the US.

Thank you so much! I have never even heard of this online pharmacy before!!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
They've been around for quite a few years. One of their main distribution centres was a few minutes from where I used to live in Brisbane, 5 years ago. They're quite a big chain of "real world" stores throughout Australia ( http://www.epharmacy.com.au/AboutUs/storelocations.asp )

Keep in mind to purchase Finacea you'll have to fill out a very short profile, which asks some fairly basic questions. The reason for this is Finacea is classed as a "pharmacy only medicine" in Australia. This means it's "prescribed" by the pharmacist and at their discretion, so they ask some basic health questions first. You only need to do this the once though and the questions aren't intrusive.
havana8

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
If you prefer the cream version, you can get Skinoren from here: http://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/skinoren-cream-30g I've ordered from them several times over the last few years and have found them great to deal with.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Josh and Havana. Now, is there any benefit of one over the other (gel versus cream) or is that just a matter of preference?
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've not tried the cream version I'm afraid rileygirl. The gel isn't a drying gel like Retin-A (no alcohol), it's almost like a light cream. If your skin is very dry the cream might be the best place to start though.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that the 15% gel is actually more effective then the 20% cream because it penetrates the skin better. Dont know if thats true or not.

I know Finacea is called a gel but to me its more lotion.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Great. Thanks so much Josh and girliegirl. The finacea sounds perfect then!
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Summer2004,......

Josh,

Your advice helps me a lot; otherwise, I'd have ordered it from ADC.
tarapaca
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I missed this earlier, but it looks like Josh and others had everything covered. My experience is that I've ordered several times, with no issues or problems, and shipping took just over a week.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:32 am      Reply with quote
tarapaca wrote:
Sorry I missed this earlier, but it looks like Josh and others had everything covered. My experience is that I've ordered several times, with no issues or problems, and shipping took just over a week.

Thank you!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |