Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Is it possible to thicken skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Taken85

Wed May 04, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys,
Unfortunately I've been cursed with thin skin Crying or Very sad Does anyone know of a way that i can thicken it? Is it even possible?
My skins really sensitive and veins are visible near enough all over my body, including my face Shock I'm still very young, I’m only 18. But this curse has made me look older then i am Crying or Very sad ...I’d appreciate any feedback that anyone can give.
x
flgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Glycolic acids and other AHAs are said to thicken skin over time but I would do some research before jumping into that, especially because you said your skin is sensitive. Lactic acids are gentler and usually best for those with sensitive skin. If you have good skin but its just thin, makeup is probably your best option.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Start maybe with a strong ergonom cream a few nights a week. Afirm, Green Cream or All Trans Retinol from NCN. You could also try retinaldehyde from Avene. Be sure to wear a good zinc sunscreen.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I meant retinol.
Taken85

Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys, ive heard about retinol but ive also heard that it can cause the skin to become even thinner Shock
I've tried covering my thin skin with makeup, but my veins and dark areas are still visible.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, any kind of AHA or BHA can help thicken the skin as they stimulate the cells to produce more collagen.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
How about Niacin-based products from the Nia24 range? I've read that the ingredient helps to thicken the skin, improve the skin-barrier and get rid of any hyper-pigmentation.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Dry brushing helps immensely. Just curious, are you very pale? There is a thread here that is basically a support group for those of us will marbled skin. I know its not a fashionable look among the 18-22 year old crowd but it ages very beautifully in a classical way.

If this is you, I'd stay away from acids,try dry brushing. Retinoids aren't going to make that big of a difference for this issue at your age IMO, I've been on them for years. It thickens the dermis by thinning the epidermis. Lightstim has thickened my under eyes a bit. Hope this helps!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Some have said that copper peptides have thickened skin. I know it firmed mine up in an area that started to sag and that might've been from some 'thickening' of the skin instead. In any case - CPs are one product that have that possibility. They're not for everyone, but there are those who really like them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I second the copper peptides, forgot about them. I don't use them as often as I should, but the science behind them is sound.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Also what about massage - they say that can thicken the skin.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:

I would say topical treatments and exfoliation are the best ways to thicken the skin. I have never heard about massaging to work and I'm not sure why it would work.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking about what the facial exercise programs say that massage thicken the skin (maybe its the exercises and I've misunderstood) but I'm just thinking its a more natural way of thickening the skin than using acids etc.
oasisjc wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

I would say topical treatments and exfoliation are the best ways to thicken the skin. I have never heard about massaging to work and I'm not sure why it would work.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I'm thinking about what the facial exercise programs say that massage thicken the skin (maybe its the exercises and I've misunderstood) but I'm just thinking its a more natural way of thickening the skin than using acids etc.
oasisjc wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

I think that's thickening the muscle beneath the skin rather than the skin itself? It seems strange to me that simply massaging the skin could thicken it
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Nope in my experience my skin definitely did thicken for sure. The folks at FlexEffect have a Touch test, where they challenge a person to massage 2x a day for 2 weeks, and usually a person can feel a change in skin thickness. I did this for my eye area and it certainly got thicker for sure. Its an intense massage and won't be for everyone, and they do stress the old you have to have a perfect diet and supplements but it worked for me and I don't have a perfect diet for sure!
oasisjc wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

I think that's thickening the muscle beneath the skin rather than the skin itself? It seems strange to me that simply massaging the skin could thicken it
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Oh that's interesting! Do you have any links?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
The touch test is part of their kit in the book, so I don't know that there are any links, but the massage thickening skin bit is on their forum so if you searched there I'm sure they could either explain why or detail how it thickens. Its beyond me the sciency parts
oasisjc wrote:
Oh that's interesting! Do you have any links?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
OH ok well thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look into it now. Quite fascinating Cool
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
copper peptides and a AHA exfoliator will definately thicken your skin. I would start of slow with cp serum and exfol cream. Then you can progress to lactic acid after awhile. I would email diana yvonne at her site dianayvonne.com. She is extremely knowledgeable as a professional esthetician, honest and sells these products. She is also someone who has had great results herself. I have been purchasing from her since 2004. I trust her immensely. Greg
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
The Lightstim thickened the skin under my eyes. You used to be able to see a gross vein, not anymore. I used it for a long time before this happened though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
The Lightstim thickened the skin under my eyes. You used to be able to see a gross vein, not anymore. I used it for a long time before this happened though.

Ava with wings, do you remember about how long it took with the Lightstim for this to happen?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

I tend to agree, granted I have been blessed with thick skin, but use OCM and do a good deal of facial massage daily and at 57 my skin has not thinned with age. My belief the increase in circulation/blood flow brought to the skin might play a role.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ava with wings, do you remember about how long it took with the Lightstim for this to happen?

Took a solid 6 weeks to see any results at all with the Lightstim. Even that was pretty subtle, but I was delighted. Now I'm pretty satisfied with my under eye skin, its been about 12 weeks of use almost every day.

I have no idea how to quote properly. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Can you thicken skin anywhere or are these tips better for face only?

I have a problem with much too thin skin on part of my arm,on one arm only- the upper part.

I'm afraid if I even have to put a bandaid there or anything that sticks to my arm...it could tear my skin-my skin feels and looks paper thin there.

I did see a doctor for it and they didn't suggest anything.
maybe I will try and find a more competent doctor?
clare77
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
Retinoids aren't going to make that big of a difference for this issue at your age IMO, I've been on them for years. It thickens the dermis by thinning the epidermis. Lightstim has thickened my under eyes a bit. Hope this helps!

Pbi: but her age is very young, and thickening the dermis is exactly what will give one thicker skin. The OP never specified that it is her epidermis that is too thin. I am 34 and have used of rx strength retinoid cream 3-4x weekly for 2 years it has given me noticeably firmer skin and reduced the appearance of thin, papery skin by firming up and thickening the layer below the outermost layer of skin.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |