Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I have melasma and every sunscreen that I use causes...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kikid70
5% products discount

Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
darkening. The last one that I tried was Shishiedo. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
How much are you actually applying?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 am      Reply with quote
A couple of thoughts: octinoxate (in most Shiseido sunscreens) is estrogenic and hormones are a big factor in melasma. Another possibility is irritation triggering melasma or making it worse, and at least one of the Shiseidos has potentially irritating alcohol. So I think it would be best to choose a sunscreen that has just zinc oxide as a UV filter or a Euro formula with a high PPD. In either case, make sure the formula has no irritants, no parabens (which are also estrogenic), no oxybenzone (another hormone disruptor), and maybe no avobenzone. Then it's a matter of trial and error to find what you prefer. A couple of possibilities: Burnout and Bioderma SPF 50+.

And of course, other sun-protection habits besides sunscreen are crucial: hats/parasols, avoiding midday/direct sun, tracking your exposure using UV Sunsense wristbands, etc., etc.

5% products discount

Wed May 25, 2011 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I notice chemical ss make my melasma much worse. I have tried so many ss its not even funny. They are all either too greasy or leave a whitecast.

Someone out there please help us... Confused

It is truly maddening. I have yet to find a product that fades them or a sunscreen that keeps them at bay...

Anyone?
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Physical sunscreens with zinc and titanium dioxide are best for people with melasma as cited by so many reviewers over various internet sources who have had success with keeping their melasma from darkening.
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
If your skin is normal to oily, try Elta Clear. If your skin is normal to dry, try Devita. I have used and like both. Devita is all physical, I think, and Elta is a combo.

I have also heard people speak of Burn Out sunblock, but I have no experience with it.

BTW, I have melasma, too. It's a pain. Sad
kikid70
5% products discount

Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
How much are you actually applying?

I usually put on a moderate layer of sunscreen all over my face.
kikid70
5% products discount

Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am out in the heat and humidity almost daily (my kids are both involved in sports). I am definitely going to try one of the sunscreens recommended. Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Gremlynn
5% products discount

Thu May 26, 2011 5:42 am      Reply with quote
My melasma actually lightened quite a bit (3 years ago) when I completely stopped all chemical sunscreens and went to the physical ones.
Burnout is good, but Clarin's also has a physical sunblock (titanium dioxide) that is more cosmetically elegant.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 am      Reply with quote
There is a great post, (thanks to hellenzqq) on the following thread that has a chart which shows for a physical sunscreen a combination of both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide gives the best UVA/UVB protection.

sunscreen ingrediant !!!!i found the chart

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37359&start=0

5% products discount

Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Gremlynn wrote:
My melasma actually lightened quite a bit (3 years ago) when I completely stopped all chemical sunscreens and went to the physical ones.
Burnout is good, but Clarin's also has a physical sunblock (titanium dioxide) that is more cosmetically elegant.

I also had darkening with the Clarins. I did like the way that it felt on my face.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 am      Reply with quote
The best sunscreen for Melasma out of all the reviews including myself would be the Marie Veronique Face Screen 20% full particle zinc SPF 30 - it has tinted version for comfortable wear-ability and it physically blocks out sun both UVA/UVB broad spectrum.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm      Reply with quote

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 7:06 am      Reply with quote
You can kill 2 birds with one stone by using the physical sunscreen by L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening Shield SPF 40.
It's a high SPF and I brightened and lightened by sun spots a LOT using this. It also is anti-aging. My BFF asked me what I was using on my skin after 3 or 4 months and she started using it too.
Good luck.
clare77
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
ITA with rockhugger. Truly, the best success I've had is switching to all physical SS when I have more than casual sun exposure. Devita Solar spf 30 is not greasy and has no white cast, but some reviews are not so postive. I liked it, but didn't love. The thing that really stopped aggrivating my melasma and kept it fully at bay was using Blue Lizard Sensitive spf 30 (5% Tio2, 10% Zinc oxide), and though the white cast fades pretty quickly (at least over pale skin), it is terribly greasy and nearly impossible to apply makeup over. However when I have to be out in the sun for a good bit, I put this on and blot some mineral powder over it. It works, but it ain't beautiful!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
You can kill 2 birds with one stone by using the physical sunscreen by L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening Shield SPF 40.
It's a high SPF and I brightened and lightened by sun spots a LOT using this. It also is anti-aging. My BFF asked me what I was using on my skin after 3 or 4 months and she started using it too.
Good luck.

SOCalGirl, I hope you can answer my query. I read a review on amazon in which a woman remarked that this product accidentally squirted all over her blouse and has a bleaching effect similar to benzoyl or hydrogen peroxide since she could not wash it away.

I couldnt find a full ingredients list for this product, do you happen to know if Benzoyl Peroxide or any type of other free radical causing "bleaches" are in it?

Its hard for me to imagine a natural lightening product producing such strong results on clothing.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
LightenNlift wrote:

I couldnt find a full ingredients list for this product

This is from the review section on MUA in case it helps, LightenNlift:

Active Ingredients:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 11.52%
Inactive ingredients:
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE-AQUA/WATER-CYCLOMETHICONE-CORN STARCH MODIFIED-POLYGLYCERYL-3 POLYDIMETHYL-SILOXETHYL DIMETHICONE-ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE-STEARIC ACID –BELLIS PERENNIS (DAISY) FLOWER EXTRACT-PEG-12 DIMETHICONE-SODIUM CHLORIDE-GLYCERIN-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE-HELICHRYSUM ITALICUM EXTRACT-BENZOIC ACID-DEHYDROACETIC ACID-CAPRYLYL GLYCOL-RETINYL PALMITATE-SUCROSE PALMITATE-BUTYLENE GLYCOL-HALIANTHUS ANNUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRACT-GLYCERYL LINOLEATE-HEDERA HELIX (IVY)LEAF/STEM EXTRACT-PHYTIC ACID-POLYAMINOPROPYL BIGUANIDE-POTASSIUM SORBATE-BIOTIN-PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE-PHENOXYETHANOL-PEG-8-PARFUM/FRAGRANCE –PPG-1-PEG-9 LAURYL GLYCOL ETHER-SODIUM POLYACRYLATE-OENOTHERA BIENNIS (EVENING PRIMOSE)OIL-BORAGO OFFICINALIS SEED OIL-LIMONENE-HEXYL-CINNAMAL-LINALOOL-BENZYL SALICYLATE-ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
LightenNlift wrote:
The best sunscreen for Melasma out of all the reviews including myself would be the Marie Veronique Face Screen 20% full particle zinc SPF 30 - it has tinted version for comfortable wear-ability and it physically blocks out sun both UVA/UVB broad spectrum.

Can You enlighten us as to how you have Melasma not Hyperpigmentation as Melasma is by definition according to many medical sources as confined to woman, also commonly called "pregnancy mask"?

Melasma: Pigmentation of the face, most commonly on the malar area (the upper cheek), bridge of nose, forehead, and upper lip, that occurs in half of women during pregnancy. Birth control pills can also cause melasma. However, hormone therapy after menopause does not cause the condition.

http://www.medterms.com/scri3pt/main/art.asp?articlekey=1000

Melasma darkens from sun or any UV exposure. Sunscreens are essential. They should be broad spectrum. A SPF 30 or higher is best. A sunscreen should be worn daily, whether outside or inside. Treatment may also include bleaching creams and prescription creams. Melasma is also known as the "mask of pregnancy."

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Riley,
I love this forum's helpful and friendly atmosphere.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
LightenNlift wrote:

Can You enlighten us as to how you have Melasma not Hyperpigmentation as Melasma is by definition according to many medical sources as confined to woman, also commonly called "pregnancy mask"?

Melasma: Pigmentation of the face, most commonly on the malar area (the upper cheek), bridge of nose, forehead, and upper lip, that occurs in half of women during pregnancy. Birth control pills can also cause melasma. However, hormone therapy after menopause does not cause the condition.

Melasma darkens from sun or any UV exposure. Sunscreens are essential. They should be broad spectrum. A SPF 30 or higher is best. A sunscreen should be worn daily, whether outside or inside. Treatment may also include bleaching creams and prescription creams. Melasma is also known as the "mask of pregnancy."

Thank you for adding clarity and insight into the OPs condition. Helpful, meticulous, and thorough in pointing out flaws in others contributions.

To my knowledge - Melasma is another term for Chloasma, which are all related to irregular pigmentation in facial skin. It is prevalent in both male and female. It can affect anyone but is common in pregnant women - that does not mean that it excludes men.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
LightenNlift wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
LightenNlift wrote:

Thank you for adding clarity and insight into the OPs condition. Helpful, meticulous, and thorough in pointing out flaws in others contributions.

To my knowledge - Melasma is another term for Chloasma, which are all related to irregular pigmentation in facial skin. It is prevalent in both male and female. It can affect anyone but is common in pregnant women - that does not mean that it excludes men.

From my research it can affect males, however it is very rare, and mostly is seen in medium to dark olive skinned and American Indian males. It just seems more likely (although not the only possibility) that you have hyperpigmentation. You have posted you are fair skinned correct? If not than please correct me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
LightenNlift wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
LightenNlift wrote:

From my research it can affect males, however it is very rare, and mostly is seen in medium to dark olive skinned and American Indian males. It just seems more likely (although not the only possibility) that you have hyperpigmentation. You have posted you are fair skinned correct? If not than please correct me.

yes I had hyper pigmentation which I considered melasma on my fair skin because its definition still stands "chloasma faciei" abberrations in facial pigmentation.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I would use a physical block like Burnout, Marie Veronique or Osmosis Shelter.

I have a patch of melasma on my forehead that appeared over the winter, not due to sun exposure- likely due to estrogen dominance or too much copper (it becomes a vicious cycle- copper makes estrogen build up and then estrogen makes the body retain copper. I'm not on any hormones.

I've been able to lighten it significantly by avoiding high copper foods like too many nuts and chocolate- I had been eating dark chocolate on a daily basis (and I don't eat beans or grains, which are high in copper) and I took molybdenum (1000 mcg, 3x/day) and zinc (100 mg) for about 2 months to detoxify copper.
I avoid estrogenic foods and skincare ingredients.
hazelwood160
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
hzzyjane wrote:

I have a patch of melasma on my forehead that appeared over the winter, not due to sun exposure- likely due to estrogen dominance or too much copper (it becomes a vicious cycle- copper makes estrogen build up and then estrogen makes the body retain copper. I'm not on any hormones.

I've been able to lighten it significantly by avoiding high copper foods like too many nuts and chocolate- I had been eating dark chocolate on a daily basis (and I don't eat beans or grains, which are high in copper) and I took molybdenum (1000 mcg, 3x/day) and zinc (100 mg) for about 2 months to detoxify copper.

Hi!

What are estrogenic foods?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
hazelwood160 wrote:
hzzyjane wrote:

Hi!

What are estrogenic foods?

I won't give all these up......you will also find a list of foods that inhibit estrogen on the link below. Smile

Here's the chart:

Foods Containing Natural Estrogens

Note: Those is bold are also RICH in glutamate.

Alfalfa
Animal flesh
Anise seed
Apples
Baker's yeast
Barley
Beets
Carrots
Cherries
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Clover
Cowpeas (black- eyed peas)
Cucumbers
Dairy Foods
Dates
Eggs
Eggplant
Fennel
Flaxseeds
Garlic
Hops
Licorice
Oats
Olive oil
Olives
Papaya
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Plums
Pomegranates
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Red beans
Red clover
Rhubarb
Rice (relatively high)
Sage
Sesame seeds
Soybean sprouts
Soybeans
Split peas
Sunflower seeds
Tomatoes
Wheat
Yams

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id45.html

Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |