Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Breaking out after facial epilating (help!)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Loubelle

Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there!

I use an epilator to buzz off all the hair on my face (it isn't dark or thick, but kind of long and noticeable, especially in sunlight.) And it works great for the hair, except that the day after my face breaks out in all these little red bumps Confused some have white heads, and some pop out as sebaceous plugs, but they hang around forever, and by the time the clear up I have to epilate again!

I currently use a scrubby brush to exfoliate my face in the shower, then use ocm (with castor oil, avacado oil and sugar) to cleanse my face. After I use a witch hazel/asprin toner, and I use an spf moisturiser (whatever brand is on sale).

Is there anything I can add, or do differently to stop this from happening, or at least make the bumps go away sooner? I'd like to enjoy my otherwise decent skin Sad
ElleWoods
5% products discount

Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
The hairs are probably very fine and the epilator is too rough and is grabbing the hairs, tugging at them, and breaking them off instead of pulling them out at the root. It's causing the hair to snap back into the skin. It seems to be a common problem with epilators.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like ingrown hairs which is what ElleWoods described. Exfoliating may not be very helpful in this case since the hair can grow pretty deep inside your skin. The best way to avoid this is to either shave (there is potential for ingrown hairs this way, but they won't be as deep) or individually pluck the hair.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Yes, epilators can be harsh on the face. I used to epilate my face but now use a men's battery shaver instead. I find that it's much less trouble - although you may have to do it more often.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Epilators are notorious for doing that, they always cause ingrown hairs and breakouts. Honesty you are better off waxing.

Tue May 31, 2011 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all the advice guys - looks like i might have to give up my epilator if i want nice skin Sad

I think I'll try shaving, epilating might be bad, but on my skin, waxing is crazy-awful
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |