Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial Exercises for Different Facial Types
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Do any of the various systems address this?
I think I have found a couple of exercises that work particularly for my facial structure, but when comparing notes with a friend the other day, I noticed that the ones that work for her are precisely the ones that don't work for me!

I know that each person needs to go through a trial period to figure out which exercises are "keepers," but it seems to me that it would be so more beneficial if someone tailored specific regimes to various common facial structures/types.

Perhaps we could share what works for us here.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Jaclynaz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Good idea! I would like to increase the volume in my face but do not want to do all the facial exercises I tried that and did not stick with it but I could stick with a few for specific areas.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I agree that it is beneficial for different face shapes to focus on different muscles slightly more than others. However, FWIW, I'm not sure you can tailor a routine for a person based on their facial type in advance, as it depends on how weak/strong each muscle is, how well a person is able to execute the technique for a particular exercise, how quickly they tend to build muscle, etc. In other words, I'm pretty convinced now that you can't design a problem just based on facial shape. However, I think you can at least guess at which areas will need more help just based on facial shape, and hence where more aggressive exercises will likely be needed.

Just my two cents Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Avalange

It’s a great question, and one that I’m often asked myself when I train people with FlexEffect, but there is a good reason why this hasn’t been done already and I’d like to give you some thoughts to help you understand why moreso than CM has given you. Firstly even though you may have 100 of individuals with say a particular facial structure, you will have vast differences in those individuals based on where they’re starting from, lifestyle, and genetics too.

Some will have a high ratio of fast twitch fibres, some may have a high ratio of slow twitch fibres, and the combination or percentages of fast/slow twitch fibres will also be greatly different. What does this mean, well that even if these people were to begin a program which was designed specifically for their facial structure, their faces will all respond differently to those stimulus and thus they will all get very different results in the beginning and this will of course concern some, some will love their results, some will hate their results. That’s before we’ve even touched on diet (which in my view is as cruicial for every day health as much as facial building and exercising). This is one of the reasons why its important to go after all the major muscle groupings in the face.

When someone (for example) starts FlexEffect (or any other given program out there which uses resistance), they will notice some muscles very responsive, and some muscles resistant. I used to use the term strong/weaker but it can be a lot more than that too. It can be that the neurokinetics of the muscles aren’t strong (which is different from the conversation about stronger/weaker fibres). Not only that, but weaker muscles need to go through a rehabilitation mode, whereby they are strengthened and encouraged to grow stronger and that can take time. What does happen though is as a person learns about their face and their strengths and weakenesses, they can begin to tailor their program as a result. Guidance is needed though and in the beginning its important to learn technique, but there does come a point whereby the person can really take the driving seat with their training.

Just wanted to clarify that for people.

Sean

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Sean for the vastly informative response. I definitely know what you mean by the muscles' "neurokinetic" capacities. When I started doing facial exercises, I felt like one side of my face wasn't moving like the other. And I definitely couldn't wiggle my ears.
I found that wiggling and moving my ears and getting in touch with my scalp muscles (which I owe completely to Deb's work) was the most productive aspect of facial exercising. I learned to associate conscious movement with muscles I wasn't accustomed to having control over.

My suggestion stems, however, from how much trial and effort can initially go into finding the right routine. Some people just blindly do all of the exercises without reflecting on how they could be in the "driving seat" of their own training...

I'm definitely in the driving seat now and love the maintenance mode I'm in.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Jaclynaz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 am      Reply with quote
I think I will just stick with my Tua Viso as I have tried Flex Effect, LouLou etc. and just burn out on manual facial exercises. The Tua Viso I enjoy using and do it with consistency which is the key.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

My suggestion stems, however, from how much trial and effort can initially go into finding the right routine. Some people just blindly do all of the exercises without reflecting on how they could be in the "driving seat" of their own training...

--avalange

Avalange, I think this is quite common actually with all types of exercise. People see something, and they assume A or B. We all do it.

Example... once upon a time, I signed up for a very basic ballet class. I had been out of the studio forever it seemed, and my body needed an awakening. I went to a college. Now mind you, I'd have been laughed out of a real class that my mind could comprehend but my body would die in.

I was stunned when an adult woman who "always wanted to be a dancer" approached me and asked how many semesters I had taken... MY answer took a minute. "I don't know 40 or so?"

The assumption: that a ballet body, and any sort of skill would be obtained that semester or next. Total lack of physical awareness. Here I was dripping with sweat within the first 15 minutes as I worked every little muscle I could feel just doing a plie... Others clearly just bending their knees.

And so... Ballet for a ballet body, once you figure out how to do a move with actual correct form... or you end up lifting with your quads (making them big), and landing like an elephant... with little grace and without acquiring the desired form.

We need to learn our bodies. And we need to start the process the second we start anything. Taking note. How did I respond to this move or that? What do I feel? by touch? What do I see?

And so, a person can of course, find a favorite form of exercise and tailor. But when it comes to dance for example... one is done major justice taking ballet.. It offers a core comprehension open to interpretation later... down to swing, hip hop, and modern. You can see a difference in a person who learns their body to their very core. I think this theory can be applied to Facial Exercises.

With regard to machines. Sure, they offer benefit. I have a dear friend who had her scoliosis treated with what I called her zapping machine. They don't offer any ability to sculpt. And they offer little to the brain body connection. Is that important? To Many? Yes. To many others? No...

Hope that helps a bit...

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |