Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Indented scar
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simplysharon
5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have a small ice pick scar with an indentation on my nose, it wouldn't bother me if it weren't on my nose. It shines back at me in the mirror when I wash my face. I've been to a Derm, (he's the one who put it there) and a plastic surgeon asking for help, they both said to leave it alone. It's not in the healing phase any longer. Is there something I can do at home or would Dermabrasion help?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
simplysharon - you sound like a perfect candidate for single needling and Copper Peptides to help fill in that scar.

I've done that to a couple of mine with great success.

the single needle helps to break down the scar tissue that is present and the CPs help the skin rebuild w/out the scar tissue that was there before. It's a combo deal using the needle and CPs together, but it works really well.

I get my single needles from owndoc.com and the CPs can be bought from Skin Biology, EDS, NCNSkincare or Diana Yvonne.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried the skin bio cop peptides. They made me itch, think I'm allergic to them. I was going to order the derma roller but then I read a post by someone that it made her skin worse so I didn't. I also read good reviews about the rollers but feel I could be the one with a bad result. Thanks for trying to help.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
simplysharon wrote:
I've tried the skin bio cop peptides. They made me itch, think I'm allergic to them. I was going to order the derma roller but then I read a post by someone that it made her skin worse so I didn't. I also read good reviews about the rollers but feel I could be the one with a bad result. Thanks for trying to help.

which CP did you start out with? they can cause itching to skin that's not use to it (strong stuff!). it's usually best to go slowly to avoid reactions like that.

a roller isnt' going to work for ice pick scars - you need the single needle to get down deep and along the side walls of the scar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like excision would help with this.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
simplysharon wrote:

Dermaroller works on some people and not on others, just like many other products. You will have to see by trying it out. In my opinion, I think dermarolling is the only way to get rid of scars that peels cannot handle. Have you tried peels yet?

GirlieGirl wrote:

How would an excision help with an indented scar? Wouldn't that just make a another larger scar? Sorry, not too familiar with how excisions work.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

How would an excision help with an indented scar? Wouldn't that just make a another larger scar? Sorry, not too familiar with how excisions work.

Actually because its on her nose I was thinking subcision but wrote excision. Excision can work too, I've had it done on chin and forehead but the nose probably inst the easiest/best place for excision.
simplysharon
5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
What is the single needle, where do I get one and how do I use it. Is it done at home or by a Dr?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 am      Reply with quote
simplysharon wrote:
What is the single needle, where do I get one and how do I use it. Is it done at home or by a Dr?

Foxe noted this in her message above.
simplysharon
5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I think the Dr referred to it as a punch biopsy, it's where they take out a tiny wedge of skin and stitch it back together, then it heals with a small straight scar. My indentation is very small, like a toothpick hole but around it is a slight indentation which is about 1/8 of an inch long. The Drs. have trouble seeing it. I see it everyday when I wash my face or in my review mirror. It's more noticeable in the daylight cuz the skin it much lighter on the spot then the rest of my nose. I have tried one peel and it didn't help. I'm about ready to use sandpaper on it. Seriously, isn't that what Dermabrasion does. If I did my whole nose I think it could blend in.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
sharon - you don't want to sandpaper your whole nose - what a mess that'd be!!

You can get single needles fromwww.owndoc.com
and you can definitely do this on your own at home.

They're only $9 for a few of them, but she's in Europe, so S&H may add a few to that.

When you needle the scar - you have to needle ALL of it, including the side walls and base and around the outside of it a bit.

It should be easy to do the first few times. At least mine were. The scar tissue is thick and had few (if any) nerve endings, so you shouldn't feel much when the needle goes in. I also heard a popping sound when the needle pierced the skin as it was so thick and solid. As it repaired, it became more tender when I needled it later. I then knew the combo of CPs and needle were working to fill in as nerve endings were repairing along w/ the skin filling in.

You will have to repeat this,but wait at least 4-6 weeks between needlings. It might take 6 mos or more to really see results, so don't despair if things don't improve right away. When I did this, I did see improvements in 6 weeks though.

And you might need to do it 3 or 4 times, but I'd only do it a couple of times and then wait a few mos to see how things look.

Also, use the CPs on a daily basis and try an exfoliator to help remove damaged tissue that will rise up. Skin Biology offers a few good exfoliators. You can actually try their scar package - it's has the Super CP Serum and the Exfol SErum in it (and emu oil) which are the perfect combos for working on scars.

Apply the CP serum full strength on the scar itself, but dilute it for the rest of your face if you're going to use it there too. Its a really strong CP and might cause those darn 'uglies' elsewhere. Especially if you noticed any in the past (like the itching).

When you needle, wait a little until there's no more oozing, and then apply the CPs there. You WILL feel the CPs going in when you do this. Especially if your skin isn't use to them. If it looks especially irritated, use the emu oil to calm things down.

What you want to do is get the CPs in so the scar tissue doesn't replicate itself. The CPs will help to prevent that scar tissue from regrowing and help the area fill in smoothly.

Another option for you (instead of the SUPER CP serum) is to use the regular CP Serum or even the GHK Serum. All of these are good to use for scars. The stronger ones *might* work faster for some, but if someone has sensitive skin (and if they reacted w/ itching in the past, that might be considered 'sensitive'), then starting w/ a weaker CP is an alternative. You can alway work your way up to a stronger CP as your skin gets use to them.

5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I'll try it. Will it bleed when I use the needles and how do I know how far to insert them. Does it give directions on the package? Thanks for your help I'll skip the sandpaper for now. Smile
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 am      Reply with quote
careful: is this scar a keloid? do the edges of the scar extend beyond the original injury? if you tend to form keloids, I would leave it alone, because anything you do to it that requires healing might cause it to get worse. It has to do with overexhuberant collagen production. If both the derm and the plastic surgeon said to leave it alone...they might be thinking along these lines.
simplysharon
5% products discount

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 am      Reply with quote
No, it's not a keloid but because of the ice pick scar, the skin around it may appear slightly raised. It's hard to explain, It's a toothpick size hole that looks like a large pore, it also looks like it has a slight indentation around it, then where my normal skin is it looks a smidgen higher. If I took a picture to post here, it would have to be a close up and the light would have to shine directly on it to make it show up in a pic.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Punch biopsy is the tool, this is excision. I personally would seek out subscision first since I think it would be difficult to stitch the punch on your nose.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 am      Reply with quote
simplysharon wrote:
Ok, I'll try it. Will it bleed when I use the needles and how do I know how far to insert them. Does it give directions on the package? Thanks for your help I'll skip the sandpaper for now. Smile

It might bleed a little bit, but the bleeding usually stops after a few minutes.

The needles are 2mm in length and stop automatically, so no need to worry about going deeper. They give tips how to stop it shorter too.

The needles can be found here for a shortcut to the page.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help, I found the site and wrote to Sarah. She was very kind and helpful. I will order my needles from her and hope for the best. It's nice to know that others are willing to listen & help with a problem. I know I shouldn't make a big deal out of it. When I went to a store I saw a young girl with awful scars all over her face, it looked like she went thru a car windshield. That made me feel very shallow about complaining about my small problem but still can't help that my small problem makes me feel bad about myself.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
CPs do itch when you first use them, its highly unlikely you are allergic. The single needle worked for me on everything but keloids.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Copper peptides would be your best option for an indented scar as they are used for healing. You could also add in a AHA based product that would speed up the results and also polish the surface skin off to temporarily fade the scar.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried dermabrasion and it doesn't get rid of the intended scarring but it does mean them decrease.

I have also tried NuDerm Obagi system which helped my skin look smoother but didn't get rid of them completely either.

I wish i had listened to my mom and not picked at my acne

5% products discount

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried everything I can to get rid of this annoying scar. Retin A, AHA's, Needling, Nose Peel, even tried using a fine grit sandpaper on it. I really think dermabrasion would help but the Drs. won't touch it, they say it's not a big deal. Well it is a big deal to me, but of course it's no skin off their Nose. Lol
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Quick question,how long have you had this scar for?
simplysharon
5% products discount

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Since early Jan of 2011.
CarolineP
5% products discount

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Foxe wrote in reference to single needling ice pick scars:
Quote:
you need the single needle to get down deep and along the side walls of the scar.

also Foxe wrote:
Quote:
When you needle the scar - you have to needle ALL of it, including the side walls and base and around the outside of it a bit.

Hello Smile
I am trying to understand the single needling technique for ice pick scars. Would you please clarify? I read this carefully, but am still not clear of the instructions.

Do you avoid needling straight down into the center of ice pick scar as to not make it go down any deeper than it already is? (and to avoid damaging the pore) Should you only needle the inner side walls of the scar at an angle? Will you damage the pore if you needle straight down into it?

Or do you also need to needle the ice pick scar perpendicularly to the skin surface, meaning the same way as the derma stamp would do it?

Perhaps I am thinking too hard about this and single needling is simpler than I imagine it Confused Thank you!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
CarolineP wrote:
Foxe wrote in reference to single needling ice pick scars:
Quote:
you need the single needle to get down deep and along the side walls of the scar.

also Foxe wrote:
Quote:

Hello Smile
I am trying to understand the single needling technique for ice pick scars. Would you please clarify? I read this carefully, but am still not clear of the instructions.

Do you avoid needling straight down into the center of ice pick scar as to not make it go down any deeper than it already is? (and to avoid damaging the pore) Should you only needle the inner side walls of the scar at an angle? Will you damage the pore if you needle straight down into it?

Or do you also need to needle the ice pick scar perpendicularly to the skin surface, meaning the same way as the derma stamp would do it?

Perhaps I am thinking too hard about this and single needling is simpler than I imagine it Confused Thank you!

Hi Caroline - I would needle every angle you can with the single needle. Needling the bottom of the scar should help the release the tension that is holding it down. But needle everywhere you can at all angles to break up the scar tissue. Just make sure you leave spaces between the needle marks so the neighboring cells can help the injured cells rebuild. And remember to use CPs to help in the process! Wink

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |