Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Planning a new skincare regime and unsure about it
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
elvawenn

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to be 30 soon and need to look into anti-aging, on top of keeping occasional break outs at bay.

I'd recently purchased an Olay Pro X Cleansing System so I was wondering if it would be too much to use it every other day, Olay Microdermabrasion kit once a week, and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle, Anti Blemish Cream (contains unknown % of retinol and 2% Salicylic Acid) every night before a basic moisturizer?

Also I plan to add Vitamin C serum once a day during day time, then top up with SPF30 moisturizer.

Is this too much? I read somewhere that if I'm using some kind of a cleanser brush like Olay Pro X or Clarisonic, I no longer need microdermabrasion, but I guess I'm just anxious to look younger. lol!

Please help... and oh, I should mention that I have delicate, sensitive skin with broken capillaries *sigh* but I'm able to tolerate the Olay Pro X at lowest setting, using a Cetaphil cleanser. I'm using St Ives Apricot Scrub once a week at the moment (bad, I know... which is why I bought the Olay Microdermabrasion kit).

Thank you in advance! Your advice is very much appreciated! Smile

x-posted at makeupalley board
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 am      Reply with quote
That seems fine to me, although I'm not sure if your Anti blemish cream has an ideal combination of retinol and SA. I believe that SA can inactivate Retin-A, but I can't say for sure about retinol.

The Pro X isn't the same as a microdermabrasion. The Pro X is pretty gentle and is enough to remove makeup off. Microdermabrasion goes deeper than that to remove most of the superficial skin.

I think your broken capillaries might come from the apricot scrub since apricot seeds are not ground fine or round enough to be safely used on the skin. But again, just very gently use the Pro X and stop the moment you feel any irritation or see an aggravation of broken caps. HTH
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I think Oasis is right, and I would just go straight for the gold-standard in anti-aging and anti-acne both: a prescription retinoid like Retin A (or an inexpensive generic version). Probably a gel formulation is best for oily or breakout-prone skin, and best under a dermatologist's watch.

Then the other major thing you need is a daily sunscreen, as you point out. Are you oily or dry? Sensitive? Have a workable sunscreen already?

I'm pretty sensitive (and broken caps indicate you might be), so I would not use both the brush and the microdermabrasion. Another thing about a serious retinoid is that you'll probably want less physical exfoliation. I think the retinoid speeds cell turnover to the point that my skin now exfoliates itself from the inside out.

Hope this helps! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 am      Reply with quote
As long as your new skin care routine consits of all the must haves including the vitamins, peptides, AHA's, and oils it should turn out beautifully.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
elvawenn

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,
Really sorry for my late reply, and thank you very much for all your advice.

Oasis, I've discontinued use of the apricot scrub as per your advice, I truly believe my broken caps are from scrubbing with the St Ives too hard. I've been using the Pro X and so far, really love it. Smile

Interesting observation about SA inactiving Retin-A. Is it just Tretinoin in particular, or all of them?

Rockbugger, I have several sunscreens... still trying to work around that as I noticed I have milia and have no idea what caused it. Could be the DHC Oil cleanser I use to remove my daily sunscreen, Shiseido Ultimate Protection SPF50.

I'll sell off the microdermabrasion kit (it's due to arrive any moment now actually) and go for retinol, as you said. I never knew it was the gold standard... gosh. I've been hiding under a rock! Laughing

echoecho, I'm looking into gentle AHA to compliment retinol too, since they work in different ways. As for vitamins, they're slowly worked into the routine. Smile
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
elvawenn wrote:
Hi guys,

Oasis, I've discontinued use of the apricot scrub as per your advice, I truly believe my broken caps are from scrubbing with the St Ives too hard. I've been using the Pro X and so far, really love it. Smile

Interesting observation about SA inactiving Retin-A. Is it just Tretinoin in particular, or all of them?

Rockbugger, I have several sunscreens... still trying to work around that as I noticed I have milia and have no idea what caused it. Could be the DHC Oil cleanser I use to remove my daily sunscreen, Shiseido Ultimate Protection SPF50.

I'll sell off the microdermabrasion kit (it's due to arrive any moment now actually) and go for retinol, as you said. I never knew it was the gold standard... gosh. I've been hiding under a rock! Laughing

echoecho, I'm looking into gentle AHA to compliment retinol too, since they work in different ways. As for vitamins, they're slowly worked into the routine. Smile

I havent used the Pro X one but the Regerist thermal one is absolutely wonderful, it warms up on contact with the skin and thoroughly but gently exfoliates the skin, you can expect a smoother texture in the skin after its use.

Yes you definitely want to get something with vitamins, look at it this way, what ever is good to eat would also be good to put on your skin. It's funny like that, I'm not very big on cucumber and when people comment I reply with 'I'll put it on my eyes' Razz

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 am      Reply with quote
elvawenn wrote:
Hi guys,

Well the article I read specifically refers to tretinoin being inactivated by SA, but I think it's safe to say all the other derivatives would be as well because they all work by being converted to tretinoin first and then binding to receptors on the skin cells.
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
To my mind, the normailizing oil is the "must have" item. It seems an odd idea to use an oil on oily skin but it really does work (by replacing the natural oils so you don't produce any more). It can be used mixed in with the other moisturizers too, I use different mixes depending on the time of year, my skin condition etc, (currently with the moisturizing day cream as it makes a lovely base for foundation). But I don’t know whether the ay I care for my skin is good enough or need some advancement. I need some good advice and tips. Thank you in advance! Your advice is very much appreciated!
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:29 am      Reply with quote
You can use jojoba oil for oily skin, it is actually quite useful for oily skin types.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |