Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Fasting: for everyone or not
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been writing about fasting on various boards because I'm just so floored at how much better I feel on intermittent fasting; I feel like for the first time in years I'm freer to eat more simply by restricting when I eat. The responses on other boards is that people feel they could never fast, fasting makes them dizzy, fasting/meal skipping is "unhealthy", you get "blood sugar swings", etc. The last criticism seems really off to me; I've noticed my blood sugar is *easier* to control through fasting/undereating most of the day.

Is it wrong to suggest that everyone could fast if they really wanted to? Question
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Different strokes for different folks.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it is for everyone at all, it's not for me at all! However no matter what doctors say without a doubt people have very different body types and metabolisms. Some people eat nothing but junk all day and stay slim. Others eat well, exercise but struggle to maintain a "healthy" weight.

My metabolism is slow and if I fast (I fasted for 7 days once)it my body just shuts right down and I feel awful. Others feel light and energetic.

The best thing to do is to try it and see how you feel, if you feel good then it suits your body type then do it. A human body is not one size fit all!

This is interesting http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joel-fuhrman-md/metabolism-aging_b_870845.html

If only I could lose some weight I might be happy with my slow metabolism if it slows down aging!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah but I'm talking about flexible intermittent fasting, 16-24 hours, not a whole week.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I get extremely short tempered when I don't eat. I don't mind, but the people around me certainly do. If I'm not moving around a lot or at work, then fasting works fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
I think the word fasting scares people because it sounds like deprivation. However everyone fasts every day. If you eat a dinner at 8pm and then don't eat another meal until 8am when you have breakfast, that's 12hrs of fasting. That's why breakfast is essentially break-ing the fast. That's why I also always think of my first meal as breakfast no matter what time it is even 2pm.

I'm trying to incorporate more of these ideas into my diet, though I'm deffinelty more of a freedom dieter than a rules dieter. I can't stick to strictly applying a specific rule everyday or even every week. I feel different each day. Sometimes I'm not hungry all day and sometimes I'm just starving at 10am and my blood sugar is crashed so I have to eat something. Though I usually try to not eat any solid food before noon. Usually a piece of fruit then a green smoothie with fruit, and superfoods. That fills me up for most of the day and if I need more I'll snack on fresh fruit, goji berries or coconut water. Then for dinner I'll eat something savory like a green salad with hemp seeds and hummus, or a quinoa salad, or a green juice and kale chips etc. I try not to eat too late though I workout at night and sometimes don't leave the gym till 9 or 10pm and that's what I struggle with the most. That's what fits in my schedule to go to the gym, yet I can't eat a big meal right before I workout and after workout nutrition is so important. I don't go to sleep till 1am though so maybe it's ok? 

I know ideally I'd be following a more natural cycle of sleeping early by 9 or 10pm and not be in bright lights at night that keep me up. I've read about the melatonin and sleep rhythms and I know it's important to get lots of sunlight during the day and lots of darkness at night, and to be most physically active during the day, yet it just doesn't work for my modern schedule and city life. So it just has to be good enough.

I also like the idea and science I've read from John Romanillo about each week doing a feast day followed by a fast day. The feast day you just increase your calories by 2-3x and make sure to include a lot of healthy carbs and fats that easily push the calories up. Then you follow it with a fast day fasting on just water. It's just supposed to be great for upregulating Lipton levels and metabolism. He also recommends doing heavy strength training on the feast day and HIIT on the fast day with either cardio or high lactic acid circuits. He said there's still such high stores of glycogen from the feast day to fuel the next day workout. It's worth trying.

36hr fasts are tough though! 

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/cheat-day-cheat-sheet   

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/in-defense-of-cheat-days
azwildcats7
5% products discount

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Physically, I always feel better after I've fasted or only eating a small amount during the day (other than being hungry). I can tell my system works much better. There are also many studies that show eating less will help you live longer.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Intermittent fasting seems to give the same anti aging benefits of caloric restriction without having to actually restrict your calories, that is one of the main draws.
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:51 am      Reply with quote
i would rather eat healthier then try fasting.

and doesn't your body start storing fat if it thinks you are hungry?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
joti wrote:
i would rather eat healthier then try fasting.

and doesn't your body start storing fat if it thinks you are hungry?

No surprisingly the body does not "start storing fat", it actually starts burning it. The book Eat Stop Eat explains this. Fasting does not replace healthy eating, it complements it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b214dut8rob
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 am      Reply with quote
It takes days of not eating or a very low calorie intake for the body to lower metabolism.

Check out http://www.leangains.com/ for the science and studies that all debunk all these myths. That guy really does in depth research and is quite lean and muscular too!

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
helenmoore

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 am      Reply with quote
When people say ‘blood sugar swings’ it means that while fasting they are getting headaches and they are unable to focus. It happened with me once when whole day I was engrossed in work and I didn’t have food, I was in a constant headache for 6-7hours. Just then a colleague gave me some chocolates eat. The moment I took a bite I was free of the headache and there was a sudden rush of energy also called sugar rush.
emibennett

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Not for everyone. If I don't eat two meals I will collapse.
jimmy23

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Have done it but I just don't get it, seems unhealthy. Check out "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" video on Juice fasting.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
jimmy23 wrote:
Have done it but I just don't get it, seems unhealthy. Check out "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" video on Juice fasting.

No, juice fasting is the 90s. This is eating nothing for a period of time alternated with normal eating. Verrry late 2000s.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |